IGNORED

Asus Xonar Essence STX SPDIF out as a Transport. Outperforms USB ?

Has anyone tried this sound card? I'm not talking if using the DAC chips inside the card just the SPIDF digital out into the SPDIF input of the DAC of your choice.

A friend is using this with his Theta Gen 5 DAC and it sounds incredibly better than it should for $200.

He uses JRiver, Windows 8.1, and if course jPlay to get great results.

It easily rivals the sound quality that I have achieved with any USB output into either my PS Audio DS DAC or Lampizator L5.

I'd be glad to get any info from anyone else using this sound card?

The SQ achieved by the SPDIF out of this card may be one of the best kept secrets on audio.

From what I've heard in his system this maybe a much simpler path to achieving great sound without two pcs and using expensive USB to SPDIF converters. The card can even have its own separate linear PSU through a molex connector I believe.

Asus is bring out a new card called the Asus Xonar Essence STX II this year that gas even lower jitter and better specs.

Any one else had this experience?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Has anyone tried this sound card? I'm not talking if using the DAC chips inside the card just the SPIDF digital out into the SPDIF input of the DAC of your choice.

A friend is using this with his Theta Gen 5 DAC and it sounds incredibly better than it should for $200.

He uses JRiver, Windows 8.1, and if course jPlay to get great results.

It easily rivals the sound quality that I have achieved with any USB output into either my PS Audio DS DAC or Lampizator L5.

I'd be glad to get any info from anyone else using this sound card?

The SQ achieved by the SPDIF out of this card may be one of the best kept secrets on audio.

From what I've heard in his system this maybe a much simpler path to achieving great sound without two pcs and using expensive USB to SPDIF converters. The card can even have its own separate linear PSU through a molex connector I believe.

Asus is bring out a new card called the Asus Xonar Essence STX II this year that gas even lower jitter and better specs.

Any one else had this experience?

I built a custom Vortexbox based music server with the Asus Xonar Essence ST (PCI version) for a customer and it was pretty good. The internal 4 pin Molex connector only powers the analog section and not the digital side. The best you can do is feed the server clean power.

You can read Chris's reviewed of that card here:

Computer Audiophile - ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim and ASUS Xonar Essence STX Review

Jesus R

• 4 years later...

Hello this is my first post! I found this forum while searching the net for an answer. Glad to be here!

I am using my xonar stx (v.1), since my musiland has messy drivers. I want to use it as a transport and I would like to know if I can disable the analog output while doing so. I do not want sound from my headphones while i listen music through my dac. Is that a possibility?

Thanks in advance!