IGNORED

20v 3amp linear on a budget?

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, I hope General is appropriate -

So, I'm one of those odd balls not using a Mac Mini for my music server. I've got an 8 Bay Synology NAS, and I'm using Foobar on a small Lenovo "Tiny Form Factor" PC I got a great deal on. Something like this guy, but an older model that has a CD ROM.

409342_338722_lenovo_thinkcentre_m93p_tiny_angle.jpg

It has a typical barrel connection on the back, and basically uses a laptop power supply.

lenovo-desktop-thinkcentre-m92-tiny-front-back-view.jpg

The power supply reads at 20v at just under 3A

I'm wondering if there are any budget linear or battery solutions I could try to see if I get any sound improvement with this particular PC that folks can recommend. I don't want to throw tall money at a linear power supply or battery rig, only to find I get near zero improvement. This PC does have two mini-fans in it as well, so I know it's not the most ideal solution, but it's what I have. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have with minimal investment. I can take it further at a later date when I can better afford it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Eric,

Keces DC-116 or HDPlex might be some starting point for you. You can search various threads on CA here (mostly under Music Servers) or just google a little bit ...

Wow that Keces DC-116 looks great! If I could find one used at a decent price, that would work.

I was hitting Google, but kept finding $700-$1200 Power Supplies. That just isn't going to work for me at this time.

Takes a bit if investigation; but you could look out for an adjustable bench Linear PSU.

Not pretty to look at but should improve over the "laptop" PSU and available for around £100.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Takes a bit if investigation; but you could look out for an adjustable bench Linear PSU.

Not pretty to look at but should improve over the "laptop" PSU and available for around £100.

Eloise

A good idea, although many adjustable higher current bench PSUs these days with 3A capability are SMPS derived, and the ads or literature aren't always clear on this point. You need to be very careful to fully research these products.

The rear panel is often a good guide, where it usually specifies a wide AC voltage input range for SMPS types . A rear selectable voltage slider switch would normally indicate a linear PSU.

An experienced DIY person could put one together for a little over $100, plus some kind of case

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I use an Acopian Gold Box linear regulated PS for my Metric Halo LIO8 with very good results. The A series have good specs. I went from a a variable voltage benchtop linear regulated to the Acopian and the improvement was dramatic. Both linears trounce the SMPS supplied with the LIO8. Am not sure what level of improvement or change your use will realize with a better PS but a used unit won't break the bank.

I bought the Acopian used on ebay. As an example here's one I found that is 20V 6 amps..

Acopian Regulated Power Supply Gold Box A20MT600 | eBay

Good luck

I'm not sure what SMPS derived is, but I'm guessing it's not desireable? I wish I had seen this sooner - I had already ordered a small "linear bench PSU", and I'm pretty sure it's the type you mention. It doesn't have a voltage slider, but I believe it says it takes from 105v-130v input voltage. I'd have to double check. I've not even plugged it in yet. I didn't pay much for it, but still.

~Eric~

Eloise

A good idea, although many adjustable higher current bench PSUs these days with 3A capability are SMPS derived, and the ads or literature aren't always clear on this point. You need to be very careful to fully research these products.

The rear panel is often a good guide, where it usually specifies a wide AC voltage input range for SMPS types . A rear selectable voltage slider switch would normally indicate a linear PSU.

An experienced DIY person could put one together for a little over $100, plus some kind of case

Regards

Alex

I use an Acopian Gold Box linear regulated PS for my Metric Halo LIO8 with very good results. The A series have good specs. I went from a a variable voltage benchtop linear regulated to the Acopian and the improvement was dramatic. Both linears trounce the SMPS supplied with the LIO8. Am not sure what level of improvement or change your use will realize with a better PS but a used unit won't break the bank.

I bought the Acopian used on ebay. As an example here's one I found that is 20V 6 amps..

Acopian Regulated Power Supply Gold Box A20MT600 | eBay

Good luck

Again, I wish I had caught this sooner...it's a little bit more than I paid for the used (digital) bench PSU, and I think it would work better. I might still snag it up. It looks perfect for my needs! I just wish it was a variable output so I could adjust it down for future computer upgrades.