IGNORED

Mini Maggie's.

Finally had a long demo of these little guys with their matching sub. Outstanding in so many ways.

First off, voices, pianos, saxophone, violins, etc are sooo good on these. Transient attack is truly state of the art and the inclusion of the ribbon in these makes upper harmonics just glisten and shimmer. The bass is tight, tuneful, fairly impactfull and rounds out the little satellites nearly perfectly. Nearly, because the sats do not go QUITE low enough to fully take advantage of a true sub but come sooo close with the Maggie sub that it's really nit picking to call it out. The imaging of course is beautiful in the typical Maggie tradition but not the same as with a pair of small dynamic driver stand mounts. As in all Maggie's you can argue that there is not quite (we're talking tiny here) enough "meat on the bones" as far as both image density and midrange "heft". To be fair, it's slight and only if you are looking for something to comment on will it even be something that remotely comes into the conversation.

Classical, jazz, folk, electronica; you name it, it all comes out so gorgeously on these little gems. Take a simple four track jazz recording like some older Art Blakely and prepare to have your jaw drop when you hear the absolute naturalness that oozes out of these. Then slap on some new wave pop jazz from the likes of Weather Report or Chris Standring and see the layers all laid bare but not distractingly. All flows and jumps at you with a live and quick feel. Finger picking from Doc Watson, harmonies from Allison Krause all feel immediate, live, natural and real. Only when you get into dense orchestration does the fact that these are monitors with a sub call attention to itself. Even then everything is laid out so cleanly, so succinctly that the fact that the lowest notes are slightly subdued, slightly truncated is barely noticed. I think that these (the three piece set) in combination with a sub from REL or someone of equal quality would be an absolute KILLER system for a normal persons budget and would be a system that could be at home in the pickiest audiophiles home. A true bargain priced state of the art speaker system for our day.

Short but sweet review here but suffice to say I dug the hell out of them and I can't imagine anyone that has a med to smallish room and sufficient amplification feeling any differently.

Outstanding bargain.

David

Just for clarity David ... are you retailing these?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.