IGNORED

HDPLEX Linear Power Supply

I have a Paul Pang card planned so need to factor that in as well.

But yes at the moment the machine is pretty minimal - headless audio pc.

My entire rig is on a separate line that goes through a sine wave regenerator with battery back up.

Sound quality is quite good but here it's a matter of protection first.

Power conditions are well ... pretty hopeless.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Another happy HDPLEX PSU customer here. It arrived yesterday, immediately made awesome improvement to the SQ. Requested an extra XLR cable, and it's already on its way. Solidly built, hefty, quiet like stone, second to none customer service, what else could I ask for?

Thank you Larry.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

I've been following this thread with interest and am ready to buy one of these. What did cause me to hesitate a bit was cable availability. It's not a problem today, but if I ever wanted an extra gx16-2 to dc jack cable where would I source one? These things seem impossible to buy online (I've spent ages looking). Is it a case that you would need to request from Larry or does anyone know of other sources?

Vortexbox/ HDPlex LPSU- Ifi Mercury - Uptone Regen/ HDPlex LPSU (9v) - Audiolab Mdac - Naim NAC72/ Naim Hicap - Naim NAP140 - Avondale Blacklink cables - Linn Keilidhs

You can directly ask Larry, and Teddy Pardo sells good quality GX16 to dc jack cables also.

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

You can directly ask Larry, and Teddy Pardo sells good quality GX16 to dc jack cables also.

Thanks, always like to have options. Order placed.... :)

Vortexbox/ HDPlex LPSU- Ifi Mercury - Uptone Regen/ HDPlex LPSU (9v) - Audiolab Mdac - Naim NAC72/ Naim Hicap - Naim NAP140 - Avondale Blacklink cables - Linn Keilidhs

This is working fine to power my Synology NAS, Beaglebone Black streamer, and the regen. However the Regen does get hot used with the iFi Micro and I'd really like to dial the supposedly adjustable 9V done to 7.5 v to stop that. No instructions in the package and none on the HDPLEX site. Can anyone point to instructions on the web for how to adjust the 9V voltage?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

This is working fine to power my Synology NAS, Beaglebone Black streamer, and the regen. However the Regen does get hot used with the iFi Micro and I'd really like to dial the supposedly adjustable 9V done to 7.5 v to stop that. No instructions in the package and none on the HDPLEX site. Can anyone point to instructions on the web for how to adjust the 9V voltage?

Was there a big improvement in SQ with the Synology NAS powered from the HDPLEX compared to the SMPS that comes with the NAS?

Email Larry and he will provide the instructions. You just adjust an internal potentiometer with a screw driver and a voltmeter.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Lets just say that using the USB jacks on the NAS for USB audio was a problem with hum noise from the SMPS and now its not with the HDPLex. And I plan to switch back from SSD to the greater capacity HD's which would have made issues with the SMPS worse. So more basic than SQ... basic electrical issues with the SMPS

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

After playing with this over the weekend, I'm finding that the 12v output for the HDPLex gives me better audible results when powering GigE switch or router. Music sounds tighter on details without increased "digititus" . Since I stream music over Ethernet from the NAS, local USB improvement isn't that important to me and the SSD's allow the stock power supply to work without stress.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The HDPLEX PSU is powering my laptop interim audio PC (19v), Uptone Regen (9v), PPA switch (5v). Extra cable is coming today, so I'll be able to power the LDR passive pre with HDPLEX 12v output. Cable requested 7/28, coming today 8/3 free of charge whatsoever. On top of it are absolute quiet lukewarm operation and resulted higher SQ, how can I not be fond of HDPLEX ?

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

I just received my HD Plex 100 watt LPSU yesterday. I have future plans for it in an audio pc. For now, it has work powering some external devices.

My plan was to use:

12 volts - external 4tb Lacie Porsche drive that is my music source

9 volts - Uptone Regen feeding a micro idsd

5 volts - PPA ethernet switch(2 pc streamer hub - SQ+++)

However, I had to abandon using the 12 volts because the drive noise was getting into the system(Regen?)

I also had too much heat on the Regen from the 9 volts. I followed Dave's illustration and adjusted the 9 volts down to 7 volts and the Regen runs much cooler! :)

I was running the 5 and 9 volts previously from Teradak supplies. The HD Plex provided a nice upgrade in imaging, depth and bass response.

Thanks, Thuan for inspiring me to get the HD Plex, it is a very good deal. If you haven't adjusted the 9 volts down to 7, you should do so.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Franatic

Is the Regen also supplying power for your DAC ? If it doesn't need USB power for anything more than perhaps the initial handshake, then it should run very well at +9V without becoming overly warm. Even with a max. non continuous 500mA load from the DAC I don't think it should get excessively warm with 9V . I would double check that with Superdad though.

Did the Regen become very warm when previously running at +9V from the Teredak supply ? If not, then it shouldn't be happening here either. Did you actually measure the output voltage before reducing the voltage down to 7V ?

Many people are reporting a further improvement in SQ at +9V compared with the DESIGNED +7.5V supply .

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi Sandyk

Yes, the Regen is supplying power to a idsd micro. It was not hot, but quite warm at 9 volts. It runs cooler at 7 volts and the SQ is the same amazing high quality.

I had previously had a chain that looked like this:

PPA usb V4 card > PPA usb cable > iusb power > gemini cable > micro idsd

The micro was getting power from the iusb power, sounded very good

Now I have:

PPA usb V4 card > PPA usb cable > Regen > Idsd micro

This sounds amazing and much better than keeping the iusb power and gemini in the chain. Anyway, the idsd must get it's power from the Regen. Putting the Regen on the HD Plex, with an sbooster in line, is giving me sensational sound quality. The micro and the Regen are making beautiful music together. I am confident that 7 volts is best in my setup.

I appreciate the heads up, for sure. :)

Note: yes it was running warm on the Teradak, which I then adjust down to 7

I used a voltmeter to adjust the hd plex;

. Initial reading - 9.06 volts

After adjust - 7.02 volts

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

Franatic

As the Regen was running warm on +9V, but not overly hot, I would suggest that both yourself and others, till run it at least +7.5V as designed. As you further refine your system you may then notice a further improvement when running at +9V

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Franatic

As the Regen was running warm on +9V, but not overly hot, I would suggest that both yourself and others still run it at least +7.5V as designed, and at +9V if they are able to do so,where it would still be well within it's designed ratings.

As you further refine your system you may then notice a further improvement when running at +9V

Regards

Alex

Alex,

I will set it to 8.5 volts and see how it does. I was concerned about the heat, that it would possibly shorten the life of the unit. Does that sound like a good way to go for now?

Alex,

I will set it to 8.5 volts and see how it does. I was concerned about the heat, that it would possibly shorten the life of the unit. Does that sound like a good way to go for now?

Sounds like a plan ! I suspect that John and Alex C's new "mystery" supply will take it to even greater heights than your typical linear PSU, as it will almost certainly have way better noise and ripple specifications. My own experience suggests that "Super Regulators" in which class this mystery supply will be, usually sound better than a good normal Linear PSU for USB Audio ,especially if the Linear PSU also supplies other devices.

Hi Fran,

Good to see you here. Glad you've finally got the HDPLEX PSU. I had no experience whatsoever with Teradak, and I love this HDPLEX and the people behind it. The unit is absolutely quiet, its 9v output powering the Regen beautifully without heat (thanks for your concern, but the JKSPDIF MK3 which the Regen plugged into has its own battery power so that's why). I feel good that I'm able to utilize all 4 outputs of the stone-quiet HDPLEX.

That's a very interesting find. While I've found my situation pretty much in line with what Alex said about Regen optimal input voltage, I'll probably try 5v sometimes to see if it could possibly bring me a positive difference. We never know until we try, don't we?

You should only run the Regen at +5V if your DAC doesn't need to see an incoming +5V, as otherwise the Regen's internal +5V regulator will not be able to regulate, as it needs to have a higher input voltage for regulation purposes.