IGNORED

HDPLEX Linear Power Supply

I really like the look and price of the HDPlex. I'd like to try running my Audiolab MDAC off it, as well as a 9v fibre Ethernet converter. But my DAC is 15v, as it seems are a number of other DACs. Is there any way to get 15V out of this unit?

the voltage is fix. if you had needed 15V, you need to inform them early.

for my case, I requested a dual 12V. also I actually wanted 3.3V so that I can have a future direct power supply, alas I had informed him late.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

the voltage is fix. if you had needed 15V, you need to inform them early.

for my case, I requested a dual 12V. also I actually wanted 3.3V so that I can have a future direct power supply, alas I had informed him late.

I don't own an HDPlex yet. Are you saying there is an option to specify the fixed voltages, to something different than 19V/12V/9V/5V when ordering?

Thanks...

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I don't own an HDPlex yet. Are you saying there is an option to specify the fixed voltages, to something different than 19V/12V/9V/5V when ordering?

Thanks...

well you could actually request so. I find the staff at hdplex is quite professional and willing to assist.

Bonjour & first of all,

I have no idea yet, how it should sound, the audiophile heaven, only that it might sound very, very good ;-)

Actually, I was already more than pleased to change from WIN7Pro/JRMC20 to CAPS V3 with I7 and PPANG V2. I have setup WS2012R2 and JRMC20, bought but not installed AO 1.30, and I will receive my LPSU from HDPLEX this week.

Listening to the test songs to warm up, I am already very satisfied with the soundstage, depth, clarity. Due to the choice of speakers, the bass performance will be clear and crisp, but never punch me deep like the Mariana trench ;-)

Okay, the path has not ended yet. I would like to proceed step by step the optimization I have so often read about in this forum. There are some steps to be considered

a1) clean 19V - LPSU-Power for the CAPS3

a2) clean 12V - LPSU-Power for the MF V90 DAC

a3) clean 5V - LPSU -Power for PPANG-USB-Card

a4) clean 5V - LPSU-Power for the SSD-Card

b1-3) Using Audiophils AO v1.30 in different modes (Core, GUI or Minimal )

I was wondering by myself, which is the correct direction to test out the tweaks that now will be available?

Therefore the question: May the experts in the CA-Forum have any suggestion in which order I should tweak the CAPS V3 to be achieve audible differences within each step ? How should I proceed?

For example, SSD tweaking without AO may not very remarkable ... or having already CLEAN 19V overlays the effect of clean 5v Power for PPANG Card .. and so on.

I invite members with more experience in testing to help me to find a good path through the tweaking process. As a result I would be happy to share with you my findings on the tweaks ;-)

The RIG is as follows: Unraid>CAPS V3-PPANGV2>V90DAC> NAD 165 Pre> NAD 275>B&W 805s

For the testing I have chosen the following tracks, due to personal taste and knowledge of the songs:

Dead Can Dance - The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Flac 16-44 / Beatie Boys - Brass Monkey, Flac 16-44 / Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (MFSL-CD,) Flac 16-44 / Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Mercy Seat, Flac 16-44 / Supertramp - Bloody Well Right, Qobuz, Flac 24-96) / The Who - Baba O'Reily, Hdtracks, Flac 24-96

Thanx in advance - TOM / FRANCE

Bonjour & first of all,

I have no idea yet, how it should sound, the audiophile heaven, only that it might sound very, very good ;-)

Actually, I was already more than pleased to change from WIN7Pro/JRMC20 to CAPS V3 with I7 and PPANG V2. I have setup WS2012R2 and JRMC20, bought but not installed AO 1.30, and I will receive my LPSU from HDPLEX this week.

Listening to the test songs to warm up, I am already very satisfied with the soundstage, depth, clarity. Due to the choice of speakers, the bass performance will be clear and crisp, but never punch me deep like the Mariana trench ;-)

Okay, the path has not ended yet. I would like to proceed step by step the optimization I have so often read about in this forum. There are some steps to be considered

a1) clean 19V - LPSU-Power for the CAPS3

a2) clean 12V - LPSU-Power for the MF V90 DAC

a3) clean 5V - LPSU -Power for PPANG-USB-Card

a4) clean 5V - LPSU-Power for the SSD-Card

b1-3) Using Audiophils AO v1.30 in different modes (Core, GUI or Minimal )

I was wondering by myself, which is the correct direction to test out the tweaks that now will be available?

Therefore the question: May the experts in the CA-Forum have any suggestion in which order I should tweak the CAPS V3 to be achieve audible differences within each step ? How should I proceed?

For example, SSD tweaking without AO may not very remarkable ... or having already CLEAN 19V overlays the effect of clean 5v Power for PPANG Card .. and so on.

I invite members with more experience in testing to help me to find a good path through the tweaking process. As a result I would be happy to share with you my findings on the tweaks ;-)

The RIG is as follows: Unraid>CAPS V3-PPANGV2>V90DAC> NAD 165 Pre> NAD 275>B&W 805s

For the testing I have chosen the following tracks, due to personal taste and knowledge of the songs:

Dead Can Dance - The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Flac 16-44 / Beatie Boys - Brass Monkey, Flac 16-44 / Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (MFSL-CD,) Flac 16-44 / Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Mercy Seat, Flac 16-44 / Supertramp - Bloody Well Right, Qobuz, Flac 24-96) / The Who - Baba O'Reily, Hdtracks, Flac 24-96

Thanx in advance - TOM / FRANCE

Hi there

First of all, is the 100W enough to run all that equipement from one lpsu. Secondly, is each output on a separate rail so they cannot cross contaminate through backfeed?

Probably A1 and A3 is what you should do as the most profitable setup. Hooking up the Musical Fidelity is probably the last step.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi Pepsican,

thank you for your consideration and your reply.

HDPLEX describes the LPSU as follows "Independent 19V/12V/9V/5V DC Output using two LT1083 for 9V and 5V and dedicated circuit for 19V and 12V, allow concurrent high power application and surpass LT1083 limitation." So I would believe contamination might be quite low, if any.

On contrary to your view, I had my first thought, trying out the 12v for the V90 before supplying the CAPS could give me an insight whether this would be a considerable good idea to keep or not.

But as I am not quite fluent in equipment testing, I was just guessing ;-)

Hi Pepsican,

thank you for your consideration and your reply.

HDPLEX describes the LPSU as follows "Independent 19V/12V/9V/5V DC Output using two LT1083 for 9V and 5V and dedicated circuit for 19V and 12V, allow concurrent high power application and surpass LT1083 limitation." So I would believe contamination might be quite low, if any.

On contrary to your view, I had my first thought, trying out the 12v for the V90 before supplying the CAPS could give me an insight whether this would be a considerable good idea to keep or not.

But as I am not quite fluent in equipment testing, I was just guessing ;-)

So it seems the 9V/5V and the 19V/12V are separate circuits. That would eliminate backfeed to some extend. But it means there is a chance that your MF would suffer from backfeed from the PC? I'd check with the manufacturer to be sure.

My prioritisation was based on that you tackle the biggest fire first. And that is your PC. Your DAC, although it has a SPSU, has measures against electric noise etc. Your PC is far less well protected.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Thank you again Pepsican,

actually it is not just a kind of firefighting ;-)

I was wondering whether the audible effects would be greater for each tweak if the most effective tweak (19v clean power) would be at the end or already in place, when trying the minor tweaks (12v/5v).

In addition, the question if Audiphile Optimizer 1.30 should be installed before or after the HW-tweaks is from interest for me as well as in which mode I would have the most audible effects.

And yes, I could get through all the options by myself, but to limit the time spend of installing/modding/tweaking I was hoping to find some experience in how to exercise the set up of the tweaking effectively.

Tom

The psu makes a very big improvement

Not saying AO is not great either.

But if we are to out something together I would do both

The Hdplex woth it's 250 watt regulator is only about 500. Add the AO and it's still only 650.

Then add on after that. Meaning the Usb cards as drives and the cables. Last is fanless. I honestly did hear any improvement in removing it. I am referring to the cpu fan. No case fan is used either

I've had my HDPlex setup for about a week now. I'm really liking it. Right off the bat (upgrading from Pico-PSU) I noticed a much greater realism to instruments. Cymbals ring on forever and there is a better depth and wider presentation to the music. Wider is just by a little bit. However, depth definitely gave a few more feet of space to the instruments. There's a smoothness to the music, it's a little bit quicker and as a little more punch. The bass is a little bit stronger and goes a little bit lower, but the quickness and detail in the lower range is very nice!

Vocals are silky smooth with this power supply and just have another level of added realism and "right there in your room" presentation about them. Female vocals I think changed the most for me, while male vocals are pretty similar, but still had some improvement.

The power supply has definitely made my speakers disappear just a little big more and let the musical presentation take more of a center stage while listening. You really focus (or don't have to work to focus) on the music and it's enjoyment really comes through.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it and don't even have that much time on the unit. For the price, I think it's a great upgrade compared to some of the other ones at the price points they come in at (which I don't know, maybe they are as much the real deal as this). Over all, I will recommend the HDPlex without hesitation!!

Hi ....interesting thread. I am thinking about getting HDPEX LPS and using it to power a iFi iUSB PSU. Will the HDPEX LPS work? thanks.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Hi Tom,

This is what it says:

[TABLE=width: 620]

[TR]

[TD=width: 335]

Specifications:[/TD]

[TD=width: 275][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Voltage:[/TD]

[TD]5V±0.5%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Current:[/TD]

[TD]1A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Noise:[/TD]

[TD]0.1uV(0.0000001V)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]High-Speed USB 2.0:[/TD]

[TD]480Mbps[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input Voltage:[/TD]

[TD]AC 100 – 240V, 50/60Hz

(Ultra Low-Noise Power Supply included)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Power Consumption:[/TD]

[TD]< 9W (includes powered USB device)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dimensions:[/TD]

[TD]158(l)x68(w)x28(h)mm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Weight:[/TD]

[TD]195(0.43

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

And I was able to find this:

Audio Asylum Thread Printer

IMG_0099.JPG

iFi USB iPower / HDPlex Linear Power Supply plugged into a Shunyata Hydra TritonAmazing!

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

I have fixed up the hdplex and got it running. I was initially running atom J1900C but switched to H97M-E + I3 4150.

I requested for a dual 12V and 9V/5V unit. I have the 12V hooked to MOBO using PICO and the other 12V supply to CPU.

since H97M-E uses embedded 3.3V M.2 SSD, I do not have to provide a dedicated supply for it.

I am also using a PPA V3 USB (that is a OCXO ! ! ) hooked up to 5V. But I just read that the HDPLEX 5V is limitted to 1A, So I guess I am short of headroom for the OCXO.

question : I cant get rid of the CPU fan else the temperature will keep rising. since the fan is already supplied by LPS, is it still noisy due to the PWM? if so, is it possible to just hook up a 5V DC supply to the CPU fan ? will it be noisy ?

This is maybe a dumb question, but is the HDplex regulated? I'm just wondering if your mains fluctuates from say 230v to 250v, for example, would the output voltages also vary, or would they stay the same?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Going to order this hdplex + 250w for my shuttle Z77R5, got only a I7 3770, a watercooling pump, and a 64gb SSD. It's not optimal for music playback (noise from the waterpump). Just hope it'll be enough to get this up and running.

Maybe I'll add a watercooled GTX 960 if I can find one that don't draw too much power (for running Jriver red october HQ)

I am also using a PPA V3 USB (that is a OCXO ! ! ) hooked up to 5V. But I just read that the HDPLEX 5V is limitted to 1A, So I guess I am short of headroom for the OCXO.

just clarify with seller that the 5V is limited max 2A. so the PPA V3 is not limited by the 5V.

I have fixed up the hdplex and got it running. I was initially running atom J1900C but switched to H97M-E + I3 4150.

I requested for a dual 12V and 9V/5V unit. I have the 12V hooked to MOBO using PICO and the other 12V supply to CPU.

since H97M-E uses embedded 3.3V M.2 SSD, I do not have to provide a dedicated supply for it.

question : I cant get rid of the CPU fan else the temperature will keep rising. since the fan is already supplied by LPS, is it still noisy due to the PWM? if so, is it possible to just hook up a 5V DC supply to the CPU fan ? will it be noisy ?

so I gave it a go and remove the CPU fan and it works. the temperature during start up goes up to 60C and then drops to 53C. So for a Haswell CPU of I3 4150, it is ok just install heatsink without connecting the fan blade. I played a 1080P MKV and the temperature barely move up.

so I wonder if I go for broadwell I5, will it sound better with better processor ?

on another note, I got a reply from hdplex that the 5V is max out at 3A and its rated for 5V @ 2A. so there is no headroom issue on PPA V3 USB. I am almost done with 250 hours and hope to give a impression then.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ....interesting thread. I am thinking about getting HDPEX LPS and using it to power a iFi iUSB PSU. Will the HDPEX LPS work? thanks.
the 9V output will work on any ifi device that needs the wall wart ... on an iPhono the difference was day and night. If your dac doesn't need power on it's USB, you can work without an adapter on the iUSB. My Auralic doesn't need power, and the ifi doesnt make any sound difference with or without the 9V attached. On an MSB analog dac connected to the iUSB, the power was required as not all USB receiver chips are powered internally.
the 9V output will work on any ifi device that needs the wall wart ... on an iPhono the difference was day and night. If your dac doesn't need power on it's USB, you can work without an adapter on the iUSB. My Auralic doesn't need power, and the ifi doesnt make any sound difference with or without the 9V attached. On an MSB analog dac connected to the iUSB, the power was required as not all USB receiver chips are powered internally.

Thank you! I also have the Micro iDSD DAC. So I would assume it would be a very good addition.

I have both the LPSU 100w and 250w-DC-ATX PSU. I have a Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H based PC powering an AMD x2-250 CPU, CPU Cooler, 2 SSD drives, a blu-ray drive and PPENG v2 card. I was not able to power up when I connected the 250 ATX PSU which was connected to LPSU on 19v. I think its my mistake of not being connecting the power switch cable, but instead of spending more time on this, I am thinking of powering PPENG card using the 5v and still use the ATX to power the SSDs using the 4 Pin Molex. Do you guys have suggestion as to how I can do this better, may be eliminate the ATX for now and powering the SATA SSDs directly from LPSU

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

I have both the LPSU 100w and 250w-DC-ATX PSU. I have a Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H based PC powering an AMD x2-250 CPU, CPU Cooler, 2 SSD drives, a blu-ray drive and PPENG v2 card. I was not able to power up when I connected the 250 ATX PSU which was connected to LPSU on 19v. I think its my mistake of not being connecting the power switch cable, but instead of spending more time on this, I am thinking of powering PPENG card using the 5v and still use the ATX to power the SSDs using the 4 Pin Molex. Do you guys have suggestion as to how I can do this better, may be eliminate the ATX for now and powering the SATA SSDs directly from LPSU

I don't understand the power switch part but the gx-2 goes to a 4 pin plug on the dc-atx which then has a 24 pin atx to atx. If you want to use the HDP to power the ssd use the 4 pin to 3 sata and 1 molex cable from the dc-atx or create a separate dc jack feed and use the 5v output from the HDP and run it to the ssd via a cable.