IGNORED

Are we just kidding ourselves?

Please don't antagonize him as accepted science has little weight against his theoretical positions. You'd do better to stick toothpicks under your fingernails.

That's the beauty of C.A. Closed minded know-it-alls like yourself are having it pointed out to you by many other members, that your views on most Computer Audio subjects are antiquated and aren't shared by a simple majority of members. The majority of members appear to be in agreement that there is life after 16/44.1,especially with recent DSD recordings and DSD DACs , and that things like clean power to PCs and even the choice of USB cables does matter! The thing that YOU don't appear to get, is that the higher resolution formats are being held back by deaf old speaker designers like yourself,who think they know better than everyone else, and that the speaker and room interface is all that matters.

FFS, it's now the 21st century. Start designing wider bandwidth speakers that people want for the new formats, instead of what YOU personally believe is all that is required.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Most ultrasonic microphones are instrumentation/calibration mikes and not recording mikes. Point is, they're not that rare.

George

Your reply doesn't mesh in too well with the quote you have chosen.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Is Walberg Mark Waldrep?

Best,

Richard

Yes, Richard, that should be Mark Waldrep of AIX Records, not Mark 'Walberg'!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Not worth it. "Mayem13" is a handle that gives away his real reason for posting....

That's the beauty of C.A. Closed minded know-it-alls like yourself are having it pointed out to you by many other members, that your views on most Computer Audio subjects are antiquated and aren't shared by a simple majority of members. The majority of members appear to be in agreement that there is life after 16/44.1,especially with recent DSD recordings and DSD DACs , and that things like clean power to PCs and even the choice of USB cables does matter! The thing that YOU don't appear to get, is that the higher resolution formats are being held back by deaf old speaker designers like yourself,who think they know better than everyone else, and that the speaker and room interface is all that matters.

FFS, it's now the 21st century. Start designing wider bandwidth speakers that people want for the new formats, instead of what YOU personally believe is all that is required.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

While you theorize about the filter's impulse or step response and it's ability or lack there of to faithfully reproduce dynamic rise and decay of a signal, best not to forget the limitations on the acoustic side of things where we're dealing with mechanics....and sadly things are far worse........except for plasma. Maybe add a bit of sulfer hexaflouride to your Vandy's enclosure to stabilize that ringing passive radiator?.......at least until it leaks out and further impacts global warming.

+1

Just look at impulse responses of typical "high end" speakers, and all this stuff about transients and ultrasonic ringing seems really minor.

Then according to you, 24/96.24/192 and DSD is a big con job, and anybody who hears a benefit from these higher resolution formats is delusional ?

If they are claiming an improvement in SQ of the same master over 16/44?....then yes, it's a con job.

Quote from this article:

"In lab tests, people can distinguish between sounds as little as five milliseconds apart".

How can a sample rate of 44.1k be sufficient to capture the timing changes our ears are both capable of hearing and used to hearing when we hear live music?

If I am not mistaken 44,100Hz equals 44.1 samples for each milisecond or about nine samples for each five milisecond interval.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

George

It has been said many times already that Barry's 24/92 recordings have genuine musical content to higher than 57kHz.

Charts have also been posted several times in C.A. that show that there is life in music WAY above the 27kHz that you quote.Likewise, it is also fairly easy to demonstrate that improved amplifier S/N benefits low level ambience.

If you can hear hiss or low level hum with your ears right near the speaker cones, as you can with many amplifiers, then low level ambience will be degraded, just as it is with an Air Conditioner running on low.

Alex

Hi Alex,

You mention that those recordings have "content" above 20kHz but at what level?

And can you actually hear it?

Or reproduce it?

Would it make sense to playback such recordings with speakers/tweeters that have a resonance peak of 5-15dB somewhere between 25 and 35kHz?

Cheers,

Ric

While you theorize about the filter's impulse or step response and it's ability or lack there of to faithfully reproduce dynamic rise and decay of a signal, best not to forget the limitations on the acoustic side of things where we're dealing with mechanics....and sadly things are far worse........except for plasma. Maybe add a bit of sulfer hexaflouride to your Vandy's enclosure to stabilize that ringing passive radiator?.......at least until it leaks out and further impacts global warming.

Yep, absolutely true - can't neglect the impact of any part of the signal chain, particularly the mechanical pieces. Re the sulfur hex, do you remember the Hill Plasmatronics speakers? :)Dedicated to the World’s Finest Speaker | hillplasmatronics.com Still, that's not to say the time domain side of filtering should be ignored. While from a frequency domain point of view the ringing of any filter used in modern digital audio is ultrasonic, from a time domain point of view it may have audible impact. Miska, who designs filters for a living, says this ringing can smear signals in the time domain by as much as the wavelength of a 1kHz wave.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ha!

A close friend has Dukane Ionovac tweeters in one of his systems. It is a little eerie staring into the purple plasma...

Yep, absolutely true - can't neglect the impact of any part of the signal chain, particularly the mechanical pieces. Re the sulfur hex, do you remember the Hill Plasmatronics speakers? :)Dedicated to the World’s Finest Speaker | hillplasmatronics.com Still, that's not to say the time domain side of filtering should be ignored. While from a frequency domain point of view the ringing of any filter used in modern digital audio is ultrasonic, from a time domain point of view it may have audible impact. Miska, who designs filters for a living, says this ringing can smear signals in the time domain by as much as the wavelength of a 1kHz wave.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Alex,

You mention that those recordings have "content" above 20kHz but at what level?

And can you actually hear it?

Or reproduce it?

Would it make sense to playback such recordings with speakers/tweeters that have a resonance peak of 5-15dB somewhere between 25 and 35kHz?

Cheers,

Ric

At age 75 , and with industrial type hearing damage I can still hear clear differences between the 24/192 version and the other format comparisons of " Maria" from Barry Diament's format comparison page.

I listen mainly via headphones for family reasons, and the Audio Technica W1000 headphones have a reasonable treble extension. Again, I will repeat that's it's the rise time of the waveform that matters, NOT how high a sine wave response we can hear, otherwise I would be relegated to listening to A.M. " Talk Back" radio. (YUK!!!)

Attached is a Sound Forge 9 screen grab from another excellent track on the "Americas" 24/192 album from Barry. Click on the photo for one from Image Shack, then click on it again for a larger and clearer photo.

Alex

goba.jpg

Ha!

A close friend has Dukane Ionovac tweeters in one of his systems. It is a little eerie staring into the purple plasma...

A friend of mine had Ohm Walsh speakers with Plasma Tweeters.

Can we expect DSD 1024 or PCM 2822,4 and I'm sure some guys will hear the difference:)

Are you Mayhem13s long lost twin brother , separated from him at birth ?

Can we expect DSD 1024 or PCM 2822,4 and I'm sure some guys will hear the difference:)

To get 2822.4 did you do it in your head or use a calculator? Tell the truth, now. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

At age 75 , and with industrial type hearing damage I can still hear clear differences between the 24/192 version and the other format comparisons of " Maria" from Barry Diament's format comparison page.

I listen mainly via headphones for family reasons, and the Audio Technica W1000 headphones have a reasonable treble extension. Again, I will repeat that's it's the rise time of the waveform that matters, NOT how high a sine wave response we can hear, otherwise I would be relegated to listening to A.M. " Talk Back" radio. (YUK!!!)

Attached is a Sound Forge 9 screen grab from another excellent track on the "Americas" 24/192 album from Barry. Click on the photo for one from Image Shack, then click on it again for a larger and clearer photo.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Could you analyse the same file using Spek?

Spek – Free Acoustic Spectrum Analyzer / Spectrogram Viewer

The graph you posted doesn't present the sound level in a clear manner.

Thanks,

Ric

If they are claiming an improvement in SQ of the same master over 16/44?....then yes, it's a con job.

Only if the master is at 16/44.1, which is getting more and more unlikely today. (grin) Surely you are not saying the capabilities of even a rather modest speaker are limited to the reproduction signature of a 16/44.1 PCM signal ran though a completely NOS DAC are you? Selling anyone with a half a brain that load would be a con job for the record books!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If one is comparing apples to apples then I personally find that a higher resolution version can make a nice difference.

The problem is getting a chance to compare apples to apples and what would be the point? Some recordings issued in DSD are simply well and others not so much. I have been disappointed with DSD reissues of classical music from High Definition Tape Transfers but then I have no other apple to compare them to. Just because something has been released in DSD it does not mean that it is an enjoyable performance or was well recorded. Who wants to hear every detail of an uninspired or poorly recorded performance?

I have made much greater strides in achieving musical enjoyment by going to Windows Server 2012 with Audiophile Optimizer than by buying DSD downloads. I find that most of my Redbook recordings are no longer fatiguing even with much more information being revealed. The exception to this being the 24bit recordings by Eiji Oue / Minnesota Orchestra on reference Recordings. These are gold all the way around. I also find 2L DSD recordings to be enjoyable and well really recorded... but tio be honest I have not downloaded the lower res versions for comparison. Perhaps I should do that just for intellectual curiosity.

I guess that I find locating good music to be more critical to my own enjoyment than finding copies in Hi-Res. Finding both however will always be a good score!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I hate to say this, but that assertion is sort of like that obese guy who thinks he looks great in a speedo.