IGNORED

Shall I connect to the ground the PC chassis ?

Hello

I have a question for you.

My PC is powered via linear PSU (AC -> DC), then jack <-> jack cable and then a PPA pico PSU.

This way, the PC chassis is not grounded.

I’m wondering whether I should connect the PC to the ground... ?

I have read some post over different forum topics saying this is not needed as far it is low DC Voltage, not dangerous for health.

Now I’m wondering about the “pollution” (EMI/RFI) that can handle a PC, is it a concern regarding our audiophile approach ?

What do you think ?

Thx

Sorry about that abrupt answer this morning, but I was behind schedule and didn't want to loose track of this thread.

Now about some different 'grounds'.

a] Mother Earth

Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC)

This connection is only for safety during thunderstorms and power company high voltage failures. (it also keeps the DC & AC potential differences low)

Noise, leakage and EMI/RFI currents do not go into the Earth and disappear. The Earth does not act as a sink or sump for unwanted currents. In some cases the Earth connect can increase the noise, leakage and EMI/RFI currents!

b] Safety Ground/Protective Earth (PE) - Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC)

This is the part back to your Service Entrance, power company Neutral. It's primary purpose is to trip the circuit breaker in a short circuit/fault condition. If a modern component has a 2 wire AC cable or a wall-wort power supply then it's covered under Class II Appliance Insulation Safety standards. It should not be connected to Mother Earth or to the Safety Ground.

c] Audio Circuit Common.

Sometimes audio hum & noise can be reduced with a (2 wire) chassis to (3 wire) chassis jumper wire.

If a modern component has a 2 wire AC cable or a wall-wort power supply then it's covered under Class II Appliance Insulation Safety standards. It should not be connected to Mother Earth or to the Safety Ground.

Are you sure about this? Class II gear doesn't require safety grounding since it provides required isolation from the line. This post is the first time I've seen it stated that the isolated side can't be earthed. I can't think of a reason that grounding of safety isolated/floating gear would present a hazard.

Are you sure about this? Class II gear doesn't require safety grounding since it provides required isolation from the line. This post is the first time I've seen it stated that the isolated side can't be earthed. I can't think of a reason that grounding of safety isolated/floating gear would present a hazard.

Many such devices are connected to amplifiers which have a fully wired 3 pin mains plug, and thus become earthed via the power amplifier. There is no problem with doing that.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

While no further explanation is given, this is on the Double Insulated page.

Double insulated or class 2 electrical appliances are products that have been designed in a way so as not to require a safety connection to electrical earth (These products must NOT have a safety connection to Earth).

Double Insulated - A definition - Home of Double Insulated Links on the Internet

I think you are being assumptive on the unit being double insulated and requiring it. AFAIK, double insulated pertains to items with mains and or lethal voltages. 12 volts is not lethal and I have not seen a double insulated PC chassis as of yet. As to the OP's question, I would give it a try- both AC ground or signal ground.

While no further explanation is given, this is on the Double Insulated page.

Double insulated or class 2 electrical appliances are products that have been designed in a way so as not to require a safety connection to electrical earth (These products must NOT have a safety connection to Earth).

Double Insulated - A definition - Home of Double Insulated Links on the Internet

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz