IGNORED

Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC RS - Impressions and Information

Hi Joel - Yes, times like these I have the best career in the world. I've listened to more music since receiving the Alpha RS than I have in the last few weeks.

"If you were to use this as your primary DAC..." I am and I will be using it as my primary DAC as long as Berkeley Audio Design will let me use the unit. When something sounds this good I won't take it out of my system voluntarily.

I have two versions of al my DSD material. 1. The original DSD albums. 2. PCM versions converted to 24 bit / 176.4 kHz offline with JRiver Media Center.

Depending on one's source there may be a need for the Alpha USB. So far I'm leaning toward using the Alpha USB as an added layer of isolation to feed the DAC as pristine of signal as possible. When one can remove noise it just makes sense to do so.

This is the best sound I've ever heard in my listening room. Period.

Hi Chris,

Waiting for your review of Berkeley Audio Design's Alpha RS DAC. Can you also look into reviewing the Trinity DAC and compare it to this Alpha RS and the Vivaldi and the MSB Diamond. Trinity's link is here: DAC

Some talk can be found here about it with some comments from the designer as well: Trinity DAC

Hopefully you can acquire a test unit ASAP. Thank you.

Hi Chris,

Waiting for your review of Berkeley Audio Design's Alpha RS DAC. Can you also look into reviewing the Trinity DAC and compare it to this Alpha RS and the Vivaldi and the MSB Diamond. Trinity's link is here: DAC

Some talk can be found here about it with some comments from the designer as well: Trinity DAC

Hi Stereo - I will look into this.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Who is a better painter Rembrandt or Van Gogh?

Can you tell by reading opinions about each artists and his paintings?

Can you tell by viewing pictures of the paintings online?

Oh wait, there is no such thing as a "better" painter. Their work is subjective art.

This applies to Audio as well. All engineers start with the same rules. Creating a final product is an art that produces different results. A "better" or "best" DAC can only be decided upon by each one of us. As it stands now the Alpha DAC RS is the best DAC I've ever heard in my system.

My point exactly.

Reviews of cutting edge DACs keep coming with the caveat "(for digital)." Digital resolution has long since surpassed vinyl. Yes there is some sweetness, etc. to vinyl, and yadda, yadda. ... The false praise for the latest and greatest digital products has grown tiresome. I feel that saying something is great (for digital) and (implicitly) not as great as a good 30 year old record has become a sign of nostalgia and a reviewer insecure about admitting the obvious, that digital reproduction has long since surpassed digital.... I love the sound a good record, but it really just sounds like a good record... that still sounds like a record. The vinyl>digital is basically religion at this point... Sorry for venting.

I had an opportunity to listen to vinyl and hires music.

Vinyl DOES sound better if you ignore pops.

The system used for testing was Audio research reference pre 10,reference 10 phono,reference 250 amplifiers,Vandersteen 7a,cabling from AUDIOQUEST,Vivaldi Dac and 60000$ Basis Turntable.

By the way audio research Dac 8 sounded better than BADA 2.

In my experience the resolution of great vinyl and 16/44 digital are roughly comparable -- given great recordings and, in the case of vinyl, great pressings (too many LP pressings are just mediocre). Yet I see strong points for each. For example, vinyl does a great job in reproducing the mellow breathiness and raspiness of tenor saxophone, as well as its depth of tone, while 16/44 digital falls remarkably short of that, at least on all recordings of this instrument that I have listened to. Conversely, 16/44 digital is better in my view when it comes to the timbre of brass instruments like trumpet and trombone, especially in ensemble setting (e.g., orchestral brass section). When attending live concerts I am surprised time and again how hard brass really sounds (in all but the most mellow sounding venues). 16/44 digital captures this natural hardness of sound very well, provided there are no overlaid artifacts of digital harshness, which are usually absent on good recordings played back on a great modern DAC, like the BADA2 (digital harshness is a thing of the past *). To date, I have not heard any vinyl playback capturing that natural hardness as well as digital does. -- In terms of timbral resolution of the micro-detail of brass sound vinyl and 16/44 digital are quite comparable, in my view.

*) I believe there has been great confusion in analog vs. digital debates over the decades. In my view many analog fans have confused the better reproduction of natural hardness of (brass) instruments with digital harshness. Conversely, the very real artifact of digital harshness (often related to jitter, as we now know) has often been denied by the staunchest proponents of digital. Yet I do not view the added 'sweetness' of vinyl playback as an asset, when it comes to brass sound -- CD sounds more real to me in this respect.

The real comparison should not be analog vs. digital, but the triangle analog / digital / live music. Too often the last part has been neglected in debates.

It was Robert Harley in the latest TAS edition. This is very interesting to me. I just ordered a Vivaldi DAC which is due in about two weeks. What Robert and Chris have said is a bit of concern for me. Should I cancel the Vivaldi? Or IF it's true that the Berkeley is the better of the two, I wonder if DCS will implement some upgrade to keep it ahead and worth the $18,000 difference. Yikes. Steve

Don't sweat it. The Vivaldi is great, and you will love it. Plus, my 2¢ says that dCS will always do what it takes to make sure they are the tops (if indeed the Berkley is "better"). Because I try to listen to as much DSD (sounds great to me) as possible and do so over USB, I do not regret the Vivaldi, but I cannot wait to hear all of the comparison threads, etc.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Hi Chris,

Yes, over at the WBF forum the Trinity DAC has been a big deal. Owners swear by it, and I have heard more than once that it beats the Vivaldi stack. However, I don't think Chris needs to perform a comprehensive comparison of everything with everything. I'd be happy to read why the Berkeley RS in his view is the best DAC that he has heard in his system, and how it compares to the BADA2 from the same company in sound (and on the technical level).

For the time being, almost all my listening will be done from CD rips using my MacBook Air and Amarra, with a few downloads from HDTrax, etc. On my current Puccini I don't up sample to DSD, I like PCM better. It sounds more "real" to me. I was thinking of adding the DCS upsampler sometime in the future, and that DXD might be better than PCM?. So another $19,000! How future proof do I need to make this stack if it maybe doesn't sound much better (or at all) than the Pacific Microsystems? Hmm, decisions?

Not sure if the MacAir is a temporary stopgap, but getting a better source would be my first priority. Certainly a lot cheaper and cost effective. :)

The Trinity is the most technically ground breaking design when it comes to SOTA PCM. Its cycle delayed output of 8 ladder dac's is a form of analog oversampling of the stair step waveform, without any of the negatives associated with digital oversampling. User Elberoth on the WB forum has a great writeup on page 38 of that thread explaining the Trinity.

But the Trinity it is not within the financial reach of mere mortals. The Berkeley RS however, is a realistic possibility. To be declared best eva by CA, and cost 16k, I am very interested as this.

TAS is constantly calling products "ground breaking". That's their job.

Every audio magazine or review site says each and every product is great. What I do is read between the lines, and wait for over the top hyperbole.

Once the hyperbole stage is reached, this usually means one of two things, the 1st is the product truly is worth getting, the 2nd means a behind the scenes big advertising push is in motion. It does not take long to distinguish between the two by using other sources as confirmation.

Yes, over at the WBF forum the Trinity DAC has been a big deal. Owners swear by it, and I have heard more than once that it beats the Vivaldi stack. However, I don't think Chris needs to perform a comprehensive comparison of everything with everything. I'd be happy to read why the Berkeley RS in his view is the best DAC that he has heard in his system, and how it compares to the BADA2 from the same company in sound (and on the technical level).

Yes most owners swear theirs is the best especially when they switch from what they just previously posted as the best.

cancel based on harley's opinion? How about your opinion and what you like? Harley is entertainment and nothing more. Tas has no, at least imo, valid perspective as it comes to "reviews". Chris as much as i respect him and he is one of the guys i will listen to, must be put into perspective of the gear he has and like others, is for reference only and not the final word. If you need the validation of harley, chris, valin, etc, yes cancel your order for one of the best dacs ever made; but let me ask you a question. If you are willing to cancel your order for the vivaldi based on someone else's opinion without even having all the details, why were you buying the vivaldi in the first place? Because some reviewer said it was the best??

Yeah, i guess cancel and just order a system harley tells you that you should own.

wow!!

Auralic Aries, dCS Vivaldi and clock, soulution 711, Magico Q3, Synergistic Research and Shunyata power, MIT MA-X interconnects and speaker cables.

Yes most owners swear theirs is the best especially when they switch from what they just previously posted as the best.

Priaptor,

You are right. I had a good laugh at your comment....tis true that Absolute Sound has abused their franchise. That shot of Harley, in his room, the maniacal order, the over organized placement of some amateurish paintings of some Jazz Guys, seems a tad OCD.

Nevertheless, I do trust his opinion on these things....he lead me to purchase a BADA sight unseen: live without any dealers close by at the time. This led to some of the best music I've heard, so a valuable role. No doubt JV is the flaneur of audio...with a little bit of the queen from Alice...

wdw

I am looking forward having the opportunity to hear this DAC, because it will need a lot of WHOA factor to convince me to buy in 2014 a DAC "limited" to 24/192. It looks like not "very future proof" in todays very fast moving audio files format war !

Or I am missing something ?

Only ears can tell...

I am looking forward having the opportunity to hear this DAC, because it will need a lot of WHOA factor to convince me to buy in 2014 a DAC "limited" to 24/192. It looks like not "very future proof" in todays very fast moving audio files format war !

Or I am missing something ?

Only ears can tell...

I suppose you could buy a separate DSD DAC to pair it with. Assuming that you found it to be worth getting in the first place.

Cancel based on Harley's opinion? How about your opinion and what you like? Harley is entertainment and nothing more. TAS has no, at least IMO, valid perspective as it comes to "reviews". Chris as much as I respect him and he is one of the guys I will listen to, must be put into perspective of the gear he has and like others, is for reference only and not the final word. If you need the validation of Harley, Chris, Valin, etc, yes cancel your order for one of the best DACs ever made; but let me ask you a question. If you are willing to cancel your order for the Vivaldi based on someone else's opinion without even having all the details, why were you buying the Vivaldi in the first place? Because some reviewer said it was the best??

Yeah, I guess cancel and just order a system Harley tells you that you should own.

"How about your opinion and what you like?" <== Money Quote

We do this a lot, defer our preferences to those we respect or admire. It's silly, really, and we know it is but we all seem to do it anyway.

Priaptor has got it exactly right, IMO. If you're buying this because of a review, you should cancel the order, buy something cheap and wait for the Greatest DAC Ever Made. In the meantime, invest that money in music, family, friends, the stock market or whatever. It'll be a bit of a wait.

Another approach would be to use the reviewers you read and admire as something of a litmus test. Find the reviewers that you not only admire, but that line up to your own aesthetic preferences. Those are the opinions you should cleave to. The others? Feel free to read and enjoy in the spirit they were intended -- as signposts to alternative views.

...there is no such thing as a "better" painter. Their work is subjective art.

This applies to Audio as well. All engineers start with the same rules. Creating a final product is an art that produces different results. A "better" or "best" DAC can only be decided upon by each one of us. As it stands now the Alpha DAC RS is the best DAC I've ever heard in my system.

I cannot agree more thoroughly than I already do. There is no "best". 'Good', 'better', 'best' are all relative terms, reflecting value on a scale that is anchored to an aesthetic. That is, by definition, it's all subjective.

The fact that Chris finds the DAC to be the best he's heard in house is a mile marker. Give the phrasing, he's implying that he likes it, and likes it more than a little bit. He's not, however, saying that it is the best DAC made nor that it is the best DAC he's heard, or heard about.

Given Chris' library of experience, some of which we've been privileged to walk through here on CA, this is rather interesting. Whether or not his judgment means anything for anyone in particular will rest entirely upon whether or not Chris' taste lines up.

Chris loves steak. He loves it so much, he created a website about finding the best steaks in the world. He's invited all of us to come and share our experiences about steak, both with him and with each other. The site is successful, and now Chris travels the world in search of the best steak. After several years, and several hundred pounds of steak tasting, Chris happens to note that a particular steak he's been lucky enough to have delivered, is the best he's had delivered. It might be the best he's had but he doesn't say that. All he's shared is that it's the best he's had delivered. To his home. Where he prepares it his certain, special way. Now, we know a bit about that. Chris, as a steak aficionado, is all about the slow warm up just as Cooks Illustrated tells us is right and proper. Chris finishes his steaks, as all proper home cooks do, in a cast iron pan to create a delicious crust. Unfortunately, however, Chris happens to be a barbarian and prefers his steaks cooked to well done. This is, of course, a Crime Against Nature and knowing that Chris regularly commits such atrocities in his home and asks others to participate in the travesty while abroad, The Steak Righteous can now safely condone everything Chris says about steak to the rubbish bin. Unless you happen to be a barbarian and apostate, too. In which case, it's all good and Chris' experience is suddenly extremely relevant and wildly useful.

As with steak, so with audio.

Amen.

"How about your opinion and what you like?" <== Money Quote

We do this a lot, defer our preferences to those we respect or admire. It's silly, really, and we know it is but we all seem to do it anyway.

Priaptor has got it exactly right, IMO. If you're buying this because of a review, you should cancel the order, buy something cheap and wait for the Greatest DAC Ever Made. In the meantime, invest that money in music, family, friends, the stock market or whatever. It'll be a bit of a wait.

Another approach would be to use the reviewers you read and admire as something of a litmus test. Find the reviewers that you not only admire, but that line up to your own aesthetic preferences. Those are the opinions you should cleave to. The others? Feel free to read and enjoy in the spirit they were intended -- as signposts to alternative views.

And I too agree with most everyone's opinion on this matter (and I do highly value Mr. Hartley's thoughts and reviews). MY opinion to date is after hearing the Vivaldi for the past couple of years, it is one of the greatest pieces of equipment I've ever heard. And speaking of reviewers, so do ALL of them. In this case, my main concern is the economics as I stated in my original post. I'm not rich, and it took quite some time and effort to scrape up the coin for the Vivaldi. So here we have the Vivaldi, the DAC which to my hearing has been the finest I have listened to and it costs $35,000. Along comes a very new DAC which several reviewers/people appear to think is exceptional for HALF the price. That's what gives me pause. My Vivaldi will be here this week or next, and yes I'm positive I'll love it. But wouldn't it have been nice to have saved $18,000 if the not readily available Berkeley is as good or better in most listening attributes? By the way, I am not a huge DSD proponent so that aspect currently doesn't sway me. But, $18,000 is a BUNCH of money.

Auralic Aries, dCS Vivaldi and clock, soulution 711, Magico Q3, Synergistic Research and Shunyata power, MIT MA-X interconnects and speaker cables.

Hello

How could you compare this new dac to Bricasti M1 and EMM Dac 2x , which difference ?

Have you already heard the reimyo dac (my reference in term of natural) ?

thank you

integrator of hifi and HT solutions at home - France Paris/IDF[br]

for hifi : LP Raven One+Graham+Lyra skala + prephono ASR BASIC EXCLUSIVE - Macmini/itunes/Audirvana - Drive ARTEC GRAND CHORUS WITH BATTERY _DAC EAR YOSHINO DACUTE - Preamp DIY triode Pultech scheme - Amp ARTECH mono Prestige Absolu SE50 - AudioPhysic Caldera III[br]

for HT : Screen 4m basis 2:35 / JVC 500 or Plasma PANASONIC -OPPO 103D/ PS3/ le Cube/ - processor MARANTZ 8801 - Amp Yamaha pro pc3301n x 3 - speakers : DIY Mezzo Utopia + center utopia + 5 Tannoy coax 10\" inwall + Sub Focal

So here we have the Vivaldi, the DAC which to my hearing has been the finest I have listened to and it costs $35,000. Along comes a very new DAC which several reviewers/people appear to think is exceptional for HALF the price. That's what gives me pause.

And there are also DACs that some reviewers and people think is exceptional for even less than $17,500.... :)

I'm looking forward to finding a dealer near me where I can hear the new Alpha.

Regarding the Vivaldi, I'm home today waiting for my new Vivaldi DAC to be delivered. This will replace a Debussy I have been using for 18-months. I only stream digital music, a mix between Red Book and ripped SACDs, and my Red Book is sourced from the digital out of a Logitech Transporter at the moment. I might consider dCS' upsampler in the future and remove the Transporter.

While I do have a lot of Red Book CDs ripped, my focus is towards DSD, so having to bolt on a DSD solution to the Alpha wasn't something I wanted to consider. For native PCM, I anticipate the Alpha sounding fantastic.