IGNORED

DSD dacs

That's an overstatement. Most DACs currently on the market don't support DSD input. Of course the manufacturers don't advertize "This DAC is PCM-only".

?? There are over 120 on the market currently that support DSD file input. In fact, I know of only a handful since this time last year that have been intro'd without DSD capability (incl Berkeley Reference and a few others). Even very high-end boutiques like MSB and TotalDAC have gotten into the DSD game.

But yes, "native" DSD is a misused term, and no one misuses it more than Astell & Kern. Heck, their early 200 series claimed DSD-capabality and yet all they did was convert internally, even before the chip. There are dozens of threads here on CA debating was is native DSD processing vs DSD-wide (8 bit) vs SDM vs PCM vs analog-filtering only vs magic! Get a DAC that sounds good to you and will support as many formats and sample rates as possible, as that way you have the largest pool of music to choose from. Most DACs excel in certain areas (I call them sweetspots) and not in others, the trick is to find what you like sonically. Like asking if tubes or solid state is more musical.

?? There are over 120 on the market currently that support DSD file input. In fact, I know of only a handful since this time last year that have been intro'd without DSD capability (incl Berkeley Reference and a few others). Even very high-end boutiques like MSB and TotalDAC have gotten into the DSD game.

Yes, but if you consider top-selling european brands (NAD, Naim, Musical Fidelity, T+A, Arcam, to name just a few) DSD support is almost non-existent on the current models.

Claude

Yes, but if you consider top-selling european brands (NAD, Naim, Musical Fidelity, T+A, Arcam, to name just a few) DSD support is almost non-existent on the current models.

Fair enough. I was mostly reacting to "most DACs currently on the market".

Fair enough. I was mostly reacting to "most DACs currently on the market".

Bel Canto are another hold out...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Bel Canto are another hold out...

And yet … have you seen this?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

And yet … have you seen this?

They've changed their opinion from -- http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/Optimal_DSD_Playback.pdf -- then.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.