IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

Paulo, my very first post when I started this thread did not have the fan kit installed (that kit wasn't available at that time), and I still was mightily impressed with the JS-2.

Best,

Randy

Hi Randy,

thank you for your reply, but I am asking if someone had the Clones Audio kit (picture here after attached) already installed into the MAC MINI and tryed to use it to plug in the JS-2 DC cable.

images.jpg

waiting for my JS-2 and MMK will arrive, I have a question.

I have already replaced the internal MINI's PS with Clones Audio mPSU kit.

Assuming which DC female connector will be conform to the Uptone DC cable plug, I'd like try to test the new JS-2 before installing the MMK kit.

Please, is there any fellow who has already experienced this setting?

Paolo

Paolo:

The computer end of the Clones is a standard barrel plug and is either 5.5mm x 2.5mm or 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

The JS-2's output jacks are both 5.5mm x 2.5mm and so is the input jack to the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK). And your JS-2 comes with one of my heavy gauge, shielded, custom Oyaide/Belden cables with 5.5mm x 2.5mm plugs at both ends.

A 2.5mm plug will fit a 2.1mm jack (just not super tightly), so even if your Clones Mac conversion kit presents a 2.1mm pin jack, you can my cable with it from the JS-2.

Of course 2.1mm cable plugs won't fit 2.5mm pin jacks, but that won't be your problem at all.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S. It looks from FedEx tracking that your JS-2 will be delivered tomorrow. Enjoy. :)

Paolo:

The computer end of the Clones is a standard barrel plug and is either 5.5mm x 2.5mm or 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

The JS-2's output jacks are both 5.5mm x 2.5mm and so is the input jack to the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK). And your JS-2 comes with one of my heavy gauge, shielded, custom Oyaide/Belden cables with 5.5mm x 2.5mm plugs at both ends.

A 2.5mm plug will fit a 2.1mm jack (just not super tightly), so even if your Clones Mac conversion kit presents a 2.1mm pin jack, you can my cable with it from the JS-2.

Of course 2.1mm cable plugs won't fit 2.5mm pin jacks, but that won't be your problem at all.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S. It looks from FedEx tracking that your JS-2 will be delivered tomorrow. Enjoy. :)

Hi Alex,

thank you, yes my great JS-2/MMK are just arrived.

I hope to find some time to install the MKK cards into the MINI.

I will try, in the meantime, to connect JS-2 to the jack already installed for the Clones mPSU.

One question, may I use the spare output to power (12V.) an external disk (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual) ?

Paolo

Hi Alex,

thank you, yes my great JS-2/MMK are just arrived.

I hope to find some time to install the MKK cards into the MINI.

I will try, in the meantime, to connect JS-2 to the jack already installed for the Clones mPSU.

One question, may I use the spare output to power (12V.) an external disk (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual) ?

Paolo

Not Alex but yes, you can use the awesome JS-2 on your external HD that requires 12vdc. Just remember to set the JS-2 to the proper output voltage. Have fun!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thank you!!!

just unpacked to see.

The quality of items is really very high. My company works for NATO and the standard used by Uptone is closed to the NATO standard.

Very appreciated is the supply of tools needed to install MMK kit.

The procedural manual is very detailed, sometimes too much, :), seems to read a narrative book :)

Hope to install the kit as soon as possible.

just unpacked to see.

The quality of items is really very high. My company works for NATO and the standard used by Uptone is closed to the NATO standard.

Very appreciated is the supply of tools needed to install MMK kit.

The procedural manual is very detailed, sometimes too much, :), seems to read a narrative book :)

Hope to install the kit as soon as possible.

Hi Paolo:

Thank you for the compliment on the build quality and packaging of the JS-2. I hope you enjoy the sonic results just as much.

With regards to the Installation Guide booklet with small type size for the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK):

You know that they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." Well, that hyper-detailed guide is what you get when you try to describe a process in a black&white, photocopied booklet that will fit in an already too small package (for low cost postal shipment around the world).

But worry not future MMK installers:

A couple of weeks ago "hifial" sent me his 2012 Mac mini for me to perform the install for him (it is a complimentary service I offer those who buy a JS-2 to go with their MMK). I took close up photos of every step. All I have had the time to do so far is to scroll through the 100 pictures I took. I'll edit those down to probably half that number and put them all in a PDF with a little text (from the existing guidebook they follow) and post that on my web site.

Frankly, after jumping through the photos in order, the forthcoming photo guide almost will not need any words. The pictures tell the story, and the process is seen to be much easier than the impression the written guide gives.

Regards,

--Alex.

Finally Installed (a little hour, most of time due to an issue replacing the HD, I'm not young anymore).

I have to admit which the improvement is not subtle, considering which I had already installed an improved kit and external PS (Clones mPSU).

Deeper and consistent bass , detail, if possible, even improved, nuance and improved ability to keep the detail on full orchestra.

IMG_1937.jpg

the build quality, as already mentioned, is excellent.

IMG_1941.jpg

Cables to the connectors are first class. Everything gives a feeling of a project well thought out and excellently implemented.

IMG_1939.jpg

I love the final result!!!

IMG_1940.jpg

Beautiful system Paolo! I feel honored that you gave our little power supply such a nice "pride of place" at top center.

May I have your permission to use two of your above photographs in the user gallery on my web site?

Glad you are enjoying the music with the JS-2.

Thanks and goodnight,

AJC

thank you Alex,

yes, of course, you may use the photos!!!

your "little power supply" is a "great" and effective item and I have to thanks this forum which permitted me to know your product.

Paolo

I successfully tested the installation of resonance control devices under the JS-2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18151[/ATTACH]

What do mean by tested?

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers