IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

This is just a very short summary of my early listening experience using the the Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply that Alex & John have come up.

I received my JS-2 Monday; the fit and finish are outstanding! I put my 2010 Mac Mini back in service as my music server since it was already setup to run off DC power (I have previously powered it off battery using my BatteryBuss from Dave Elledge/PI Audio Group).

Just let me say that the JS-2 is outstanding IMHO. Blacker background, better separation and the bass just kicks with more slam and articulation! I've only had a couple hours of listening experience with this setup, but not a single track has played that hasn't made me perk up a bit and really be amazed at the sound quality. I can't wait to get the internal pwr supply removed from my 2012 Mac Mini (which I run bootcamped with WS2012 and Audiophile Optimizer) so I can put it back in the system and power it from the JS-2!!

Outstanding job, well done Alex & John!!

Thanks!

Randy

For those that say with the linear power supply sounds better, do you have the computer in a power conditioner and your DAC use the +5v from USB?

I have my digital front end, including the computer's power supply, plugged in to an Equitech balanced line conditioner, with the Equitech plugged in to a PI Audio UberBuss.

My dac does need to see the 5v from USB, but I have the USB feed going through an iFi iUSB device, with the USB cable from that to the DAC having separate pwr and data legs.

I'm no expert, far from it, but IMHO clean power equates to less noise.

After extensive listening last night with the 2012 Mac Mini in place, I am very very pleased with the sound. Even compared to my aural memory of the battery powered Mac Mini, I'm hearing more detail and articulation, but natural sounding, not bright, edgy or glaring at all. Separation is better as well. I have a SET amp, tubed pre and tubed DAC, yet the detail I'm hearing surpasses any of my prior setups, including my memory of prior SS equipment.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Jason,

Sounds like you concur with my findings when I started this thread last summer upon installation of the JS-2 in my setup. And I agree completely that dealing with Alex is a treat!

I can't wait for my Regen to arrive; I expect that John & Alex will have produced another gem!

Randy