IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, ted_b said:

I searched and couldn't find a better thread so here goes:

I own both the JS-2 and an LPS-1.  My JS-2 has always been a one rail power supply, as I was hesitant to try it on both rails (with different gear), worried I would be playing with potential common ground issues.  So generally I use it's 1 output (and better dc cable) to power my Windows Caps NAA at 12V.   But this week I realized that I could take full advantage of it and power my SSD too.  I had been using a SOtM dual battery supply with custom 7V cable (includes resistor to downconvert to 5V for SSD), but decided to swap that out for output 2 at 7V.  I truly believe I am getting better, more solid imaging!  Go figure.

OK, so what is my question:  well, as I said I own an LPS-1 too, for my microRendu NAA, but when I am not using it there (can only do one NAA at a time) it goes unused...until yesterday.  I realized I have a place for it, to power said Windows Caps NAA JCAT USB card.  Up til now, I had been using an old custom RedWine bulky ps that Vinnie built for me years ago (was originally for Squeezebox) and connected to JCAT via LP4 (Molex).  I swapped it out last night for the LPS1, in external dc input mode (instead of LP4).  I am not sure I hear huge differences, but assuming it has to be a good thing.

So...my question:  being that I can now use all three rails of Uptone goodness, which would make more sense: JS-2 on SSD/LSP-1 on JCAT, or vice versa?  It is a given that one rail of JS-2 is on the 12V motherboard dc input.  Thx.

Hi Ted,

I also own both JS-2 and JCAT Femto and I have very good results powering my Audio Computer. Currently I am considering purchasing LPS-1 to power it or the SSD separately. 

My advice to you is to test your system with these various configurations and check for yourself which one sounds better. I would be really interested if LPS-1 would really make a big difference powering either SSD or JCAT separately vs. powering them directly from JS-2, as I am doing now.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 7:14 PM, ted_b said:

I searched and couldn't find a better thread so here goes:

I own both the JS-2 and an LPS-1.  My JS-2 has always been a one rail power supply, as I was hesitant to try it on both rails (with different gear), worried I would be playing with potential common ground issues.  So generally I use it's 1 output (and better dc cable) to power my Windows Caps NAA at 12V.   But this week I realized that I could take full advantage of it and power my SSD too.  I had been using a SOtM dual battery supply with custom 7V cable (includes resistor to downconvert to 5V for SSD), but decided to swap that out for output 2 at 7V.  I truly believe I am getting better, more solid imaging!  Go figure.

OK, so what is my question:  well, as I said I own an LPS-1 too, for my microRendu NAA, but when I am not using it there (can only do one NAA at a time) it goes unused...until yesterday.  I realized I have a place for it, to power said Windows Caps NAA JCAT USB card.  Up til now, I had been using an old custom RedWine bulky ps that Vinnie built for me years ago (was originally for Squeezebox) and connected to JCAT via LP4 (Molex).  I swapped it out last night for the LPS1, in external dc input mode (instead of LP4).  I am not sure I hear huge differences, but assuming it has to be a good thing.

So...my question:  being that I can now use all three rails of Uptone goodness, which would make more sense: JS-2 on SSD/LSP-1 on JCAT, or vice versa?  It is a given that one rail of JS-2 is on the 12V motherboard dc input.  Thx.

Hi Ted,

Did you have the chance to test LPS-1/JS-2? Does LPS-1 improve the sound if powering SSD/JCAT?

54 minutes ago, ted_b said:

It was quite close but LPS-1 with JCAT (and therefore JPS-2 rail 2 with SSD) won on two counts:

1) sounded better, with blacker background and faster transients;

2) was easier setup in that it didn't require shutting down SSD of Windows NAA to remove it (just unplug from JCAT external dc input) for swapping/use with microRendu NAA.  Someday I'll get another one and leave them be.

Thank you for the update.

How would you compare the sound quality with vs without LPS-1 in your system? Is the difference significant?

• 3 months later...