IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

22 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I popped an SR blue quantum fuse in my JS-2 today and like the result.  To be very clear, the JS-2 is perfectly fine with the stock fuse.  For many people, there are higher priority areas in the audio chain that should be addressed before upgrading a fuse.  If you have already upgraded the fuse in your DAC and are chasing the last bit of performance out of your system, then the SR blue quantum fuse is something to consider for your JS-2.

What amp rating is needed on the JS-2, Brian?

• 10 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Superdad said:

I recently realized how conservatively we rate these (we quote it as 5-7 amps).  Had one on the bench the other day running continuous 8.2 amps (!) at 12V (with 120/240V AC mains input; lower AC input lowers max current at 12V). Was not even hot.  

Hi Alex, I'm glad to hear that these units are selling like barely-warm-at-8.2A cakes. :D 

Actually I had a serious question set of questions for @JohnSwenson and you. It has to do not with continuous current, but peak current. Can you compare and contrast how a "conventional" LPS like the JS-2 handles very short current peaks vs. the LPS-1.2?

What I'm really wondering is how high a current peak can each sustain, given a short enough duration? Can each deliver 2x, 3x, even 10x the sustained current rating, or is there a practical limit where even for an infinitesimally small interval, max current is limited to some value? Is the amount of headroom - let's define this as rated peak/rated continuous - different for the JS-2 vs. the LPS-1.2?

Apologies if this has been answered before - a few searches that I were unfruitful.