IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

Thanks for that Joel.

Had been considering getting a hdplex or js-2 (hdplex was more wallet friendly) but as you've reported a noticeable difference it has made the decision much easier in favour of js-2 :-)

Just bite the bullet and go for it!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I use a good Synergistic Research power conditioner (Mk3) to condition power to my entire system, including both my 2010 MacMini via an SR-made figure of 8 adapter and also my USB Regen. Would the JS-2 still be of benefit to the SQ in my system, if I were to use it to power my MacMini and USB Regen? If I got myself a JS-2, I am assuming I should still use the SR conditioner to supply power to the JS-2? And if I got the JS-2, would I still need the "mystery" power supply for my Regen in addition to the JS-2?

Thanks

hltf

I use a good Synergistic Research power conditioner (Mk3) to condition power to my entire system, including both my 2010 MacMini via an SR-made figure of 8 adapter and also my USB Regen. Would the JS-2 still be of benefit to the SQ in my system, if I were to use it to power my MacMini and USB Regen?

Yes. A significant part of the benefit will be from removing the SMPS from inside your mini so you can run it from a linear PS (ours being first rate, but there are less expensive options). Also key to elevating the performance of the mini is getting rid of the high-current (0.5A) PWM pulses controlling the speed of the fan. That's where our unique Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) comes in.

If I got myself a JS-2, I am assuming I should still use the SR conditioner to supply power to the JS-2?

Sure, that's fine, though the JS-2 design does a lot (more than most other audio components) to keep external crap out and also to not kick stuff back into the line (beauty of choke-filtering and using Schottky diodes). So perhaps you would experiment with using your SR conditioner just for your other front-end audio components (DAC, preamp, etc.) and keeping the computer stuff separate. Hard to say what will sound best.

And if I got the JS-2, would I still need the "mystery" power supply for my Regen in addition to the JS-2?

Thanks

Probably not, in that the JS-2 can power both the mini and the REGEN with ease. But you might eventually want to use the second output of the JS-2 for something else. And in a few instances, having the common output ground of the two JS-2 outputs powering both the REGEN and the computer has let in some computer noise via a ground loop. Have found that depends upon the rest of your system and wiring.

Hope the above helps.

FYI: Not sure of how many spots are left open for the August 13th batch of (15!?) JS-2s we are gearing up to start building this next couple of weeks. I am today sending replies to all those who asked to buy one while we were deep in production of the dozen that shipped last Wednesday.

Thanks, Alex, for the detailed response. If my current MacMini were to pack up for some reason, I suppose that the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit can be switched to another one, correct?

Not sure I will jump on the August batch for the JS-2 and controller, but perhaps a little bit down the road. Still enjoying the Regen a great deal which is good enough for now.

I am thinking about future server options, so this is all food for thought. Very helpful, thanks again.

hltf

Also, just to help my thought process along, Alex, would you say that the impact on my SQ of adding a JS-2 and controller together would be about equal to that of adding the Regen alone into my system as I have just done (powered as mine is from my SR conditioner and a good SR cable)? Or less? Or greater? Or is that just a tough question to answer?

Thanks

hltf

My server requires 19v for the motherboard. Is there a way to use the standard JS-2 to power the motherboard, or is there a version of the JS-2 that has a 19v connection?

No 19V output is available from the JS-2. 12V @ 6.4 amps continuous is max.

What server do you have? It likely has a PicoPSU, and those are also offered in versions that run from 12V. Those may actually be better as that 19V input is being taken down to 12V for the motherboard with a switching regulator, and the 12V versions of PicoPSU just pass the unmolested 12V to the motherboard via the 4-pin Molex connector.

I recommend this one: picoPSU-150-XT 12V DC-DC ATX power supply

picoPSU-150-xt-12V-big2.jpg

If my current MacMini were to pack up for some reason, I suppose that the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit can be switched to another one, correct?

Absolutely. Unlike some other Mac mini DC conversions, our MMK is requires no cutting, soldering, or permanent modification of any king and is 100% reversible in case of the need for computer repair or upgrade. And of course ours is the ONLY one offering the real sonic benefit of the linear fan controller.

Also, just to help my thought process along, Alex, would you say that the impact on my SQ of adding a JS-2 and controller together would be about equal to that of adding the Regen alone into my system as I have just done (powered as mine is from my SR conditioner and a good SR cable)? Or less? Or greater? Or is that just a tough question to answer?

It would be inappropriate for me to try to answer that question. But there are whole bunch of people on the REGEN thread who should be able to.

That said, getting rid of the SMPS and PWM fan control from the mini goes a long way towards elevating it as a first rate music server.

Cheesrs,

--Alex

Are you running the two REGENs from the same JS-2 outlet? If so, did you get a Y-connector? Thanks.

Just running a Lightspeed USB from Computer to Regen with an attached Supra cable to the other Regen. I know its not perfect setup but this way I was able to power both Regen's with separate cables supplied with the JS2. It is the best my system has sounded .

Clipper(Steve) was over Friday night and is very familiar with my system over the past couple of years and he also thought it was exceptional.

Bill O\'Connell[br]www.morningstaraudio.com

No 19V output is available from the JS-2. 12V @ 6.4 amps continuous is max.

What server do you have? It likely has a PicoPSU, and those are also offered in versions that run from 12V. Those may actually be better as that 19V input is being taken down to 12V for the motherboard with a switching regulator, and the 12V versions of PicoPSU just pass the unmolested 12V to the motherboard via the 4-pin Molex connector.

I recommend this one: picoPSU-150-XT 12V DC-DC ATX power supply

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19972[/ATTACH]

Hi Alex,

I'm using the C.A.P.S. V4 pipeline server with Supermicro X10SLH-F motherboard.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Best regards

I'm using the C.A.P.S. V4 pipeline server with Supermicro X10SLH-F motherboard.

Okay. So then are you already using this HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX switching converter board?:

250wpackage1.jpg

If so, then yeah, it needs an input in the range of 16-24V. To use a JS-2 with your CAPS V4 Pipeline you would need to swap that out for the 150-XT or 160-Xt picoPSU.

And in a few instances, having the common output ground of the two JS-2 outputs powering both the REGEN and the computer has let in some computer noise via a ground loop. Have found that depends upon the rest of your system and wiring.

This sounds ominous. If it is indeed the case, what is to be done? I bought the JS-2 precisely to power both the REGEN and an UpToned Mac Mini.)

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

This sounds ominous. If it is indeed the case, what is to be done? I bought the JS-2 precisely to power both the REGEN and an UpToned Mac Mini.)

Me too! Que pasa? What is to be done is the 64K question. I would appreciate thoughts on the matter.

Best,

Richard

Me too! Que pasa? What is to be done is the 64K question. I would appreciate thoughts on the matter.

Are you experiencing any noise Richard? I don't recall you saying so. If not, then you have nothing to worry about. Like I said, it is only in a very few instances. The noise I am referring to is a rather quiet "pattern noise" of bleeps as the computer processes, and in a few cases it has leaked into the DAC.

Relax, I'm sure it will be fine. When is your friend going to be forwarding your JS-2 and Mac mini down to you?

Thanks much, Alex. Hopefully, comes in on 2 August. And I pick it up on 3 August, if all goes swimmingly. The anxieties of expectation: yes, you got it, all kinds of gremlins creeping out of the woodwork.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

Are you experiencing any noise Richard? I don't recall you saying so. If not, then you have nothing to worry about. Like I said, it is only in a very few instances. The noise I am referring to is a rather quiet "pattern noise" of bleeps as the computer processes, and in a few cases it has leaked into the DAC.

Appreciate your response, Alex. I have been having problems playing DSD256 in HQPlayer 3.8.0. Not suggesting there is any connection between my issue and the JS-2. A DSD256 may start cleanly and then after two tracks starts to degrade into static and quavers. It could be anything about my Mac Mini. Just exploring all possibilities without pointing a finger at anyone or any device.

I have heard nothing from my JS-2 but silence. And the MMK appears to be working fine and dandy. The fan app you turned me on to keeps the fan speed at 1800+/-. Thank you for the clarification.

Best,

Richard

Okay. So then are you already using this HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX switching converter board?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19976[/ATTACH]

If so, then yeah, it needs an input in the range of 16-24V. To use a JS-2 with your CAPS V4 Pipeline you would need to swap that out for the 150-XT or 160-Xt picoPSU.

Thank you Alex.

Thanks

I added a JS-2 after having a REGEN for a few weeks (see sig). My guess would be that which ever one is added first would have a more noticable effect on SQ than the one that is added second.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Shoot, shoot, shoot. My friend who was meant to get my stuff from San Diego, got the UpToned Mac Mini, but not the package containing the JS-2, the Regen, and the cables. Now, despite assurances to the contrary, I am worried about the bigger package having reached (it says delivered, along with the Mac Mini, but who knows if it has been misplaced?); and I really hope that the JS-2 and other goodies are brought over on 20 August. By which time, of course, we will be set to leave for Germany. Golly, grief, golly, grief.

Shoot, shoot, shoot. My friend who was meant to get my stuff from San Diego, got the UpToned Mac Mini, but not the package containing the JS-2, the Regen, and the cables. Now, despite assurances to the contrary, I am worried about the bigger package having reached (it says delivered, along with the Mac Mini, but who knows if it has been misplaced?); and I really hope that the JS-2 and other goodies are brought over on 20 August. By which time, of course, we will be set to leave for Germany. Golly, grief, golly, grief.

We really should take this off-line. Both packages show they were individually picked up at the post office 10 days ago, on the 23rd, and scanned "delivered" within one minute of one another. Best check with your friend again.

--Alex C.

P.S. The box is fully insured, but if the P.O. shows a delivery/receipt scan, then you have to prove it was not before they will honor a claim.

We really should take this off-line. Both packages show they were individually picked up at the post office 10 days ago, on the 23rd, and scanned "delivered" within one minute of one another. Best check with your friend again.

--Alex C.

P.S. The box is fully insured, but if the P.O. shows a delivery/receipt scan, then you have to prove it was not before they will honor a claim.

You are right. I am writing to you separately. Was frustrated and throwing a tantrum. Apologies. SD