IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

So, another question, can I power an ifi USB 3 along with two Regens at 9v with an appropriate three way adapter cable? Read here (or somewhere) that it is possible. The cable is on way to me. Ta, Saurabh

That's fine. Current-wise that will be nothing to the JS-2. You will be sharing the DC grounds among all the devices, but they are already common to one another via the USB cable anyway.

Best,

--Alex C.

That's fine. Current-wise that will be nothing to the JS-2. You will be sharing the DC grounds among all the devices, but they are already common to one another via the USB cable anyway.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks again, Alex. The idea is to keep the ifi USB power supply away from the main system, and use it instead to power a Regen, via your new mystery thingamajig, in the desktop system. Btw, I got a Curious cable + links, and with more major changes by way of SE upgrades to Pre and AMP, alongside some new cables, the ensemble is sounding super. Regards, Saurabh

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

JS-2 on the E28 give a more delicate highs. The midrange is more dense and soundstage is wider.

Overall, I prefer JS-2 over the stock supply. JS-2 on nordost sort kones tc seem to give more bite and more decay (the sound ring in the air more and fill more the room).

Got JS-2 and Regen today.

My dac is Exasound E28 femto clock mini xlr

JS-2 is very nice looking.

Can't use the hard adaptor with the regen because usb port is too close other connectors. I have curious on way btw to solve this problem.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex: The adapter cable arrived. (Very well made and complements what you provide with the JS-2.) The sound is way better with the JS-2 powering the ifi USB 3 along with the two Regens in place of the iPower on the ifi USB 3 and the JS-2 on the Regens.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

Alex: The adapter cable arrived. (Very well made and complements what you provide with the JS-2.) The sound is way better with the JS-2 powering the ifi USB 3 along with the two Regens in place of the iPower on the ifi USB 3 and the JS-2 on the Regens.

That's great Saurabh. Do you have a link or photo of the adapter cable you speak of? Others might find it useful. Thanks.

Another thing I found with the js2 powering my e28 exasound. The notes play longer than using the stock supply.

The decay of the notes being more obvious is due to the improved system noise floor when using the JS2.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Thanks, Alex. I will have a photo taken soon. No link. It was custom made for me, after I specified length requirements, in Hong Kong by Swagman labs, who also make power supplies and such like.

That's great Saurabh. Do you have a link or photo of the adapter cable you speak of? Others might find it useful. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read quite a lot about Uptone products from this forum and decided to purchase JS-2 and REGEN from Alex. These two fit perfectly well with my system. It is a WOW ....once I powered my HILO with JS-2. The bass has been noticeably improved. Kudos to Alex and John. I definitely look forward to the new LPS from Uptone.

• 2 weeks later...
Sent an inquiry on availability of the next batcth. Hopefully, I can jump in on the next shipment.

Hi: Received your PMs late last night and will reply shortly.

Although we just shipped out a full batch, we are already well into the next 12 units for shipment the week of July 11th.

After that group goes, we will have run out of chassis and boards and another 75 sets of everything won't arrive until early August, plus a couple of weeks to build. Clearly I blew it again by waiting too long to order (and I always forget the Japanese summer holiday delays the raw chassis kits).

So unless one is into "delayed gratification," it would be smart to get in on this batch! ;)

Best,

--Alex C.

Any more inputs/responses on this question concerning improvements in JS-2 after break-in/stabilization of capacitors and stuff?

I have another question for Alex: thanks to your awesome service I am happily running my Aries, Regen and external SSD from my JS-2; would replacing its fuse with a Synergistic Black raise the bar even further? And if so what is the size of the JS-2 fuse?

Also, my DAC (Mojo Audio Mystique 2), came on mini Stillpoints (instead of regular "feet") and sounds very musical; has Uptone Audio thought of offering these footers as an option on the JS-2 for better vibration control?

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to Alex for his help and advice to get the JS-2 to power my PC that's running Roon/HQP feeding DSD512 to the T+A DSD DAC.

The LPS has made an enormous difference to the sound as I describe here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/t-digital-analogue-converter-8-direct-stream-digital-27935/index39.html#post563795

It is truly astounding what a LPS, and the JS-2 specifically, has done to improve the audio.

I have another question for Alex: thanks to your awesome service I am happily running my Aries, Regen and external SSD from my JS-2; would replacing its fuse with a Synergistic Black raise the bar even further? And if so what is the size of the JS-2 fuse?

Also, my DAC (Mojo Audio Mystique 2), came on mini Stillpoints (instead of regular "feet") and sounds very musical; has Uptone Audio thought of offering these footers as an option on the JS-2 for better vibration control?

You're running three separate devices from your JS-2?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 4 weeks later...

JS-2 questions

* is there any quality or performance difference between the two DC outputs?

* are there any placement suggestions

- could I place the JS-2 right next to another linear supply on the one shelf?

- is Right next to another JS-2 OK?

- avoid cases touching?

- And if on a shelf above or below is there an optimal spacing away vertically

JS-2 questions

* is there any quality or performance difference between the two DC outputs?

* are there any placement suggestions

- could I place the JS-2 right next to another linear supply on the one shelf?

- is Right next to another JS-2 OK?

- avoid cases touching?

- And if on a shelf above or below is there an optimal spacing away vertically

My understanding is that the two rails are identical and that the units themselves are well shielded so proximity isn't an issue.