IGNORED

Displaying Cover Art/Track Info

Is anyone aware of a DIY solution that permits displaying cover art and track info on a small screen full color LCD or OLED screen built into PC case along with transport controls for track and playlist navigation? I am aware of the various character-based LCD and OLED solutions but they will not work for displaying cover art. I would like to keep the case in the same size range as a standard CD player so something with a high res screen maybe around 3.5" would be ideal.

Thanks!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for those, but they all kind of scream PC. I'm looking for something more polished with a smaller screen like the Auralic offerings, but with a color display and the ability to display cover art.

I'm trying to go the DIY route because no commercial product seems to offer multichannel DSD playback to a USB DAC along with a nice case with small color screen and transport controls.

If I could find a small color display that would fit into something like this Mini-Client 2500 Order Form

and work with Foobar or Jriver MC, etc. along with transport buttons, that would be ideal.

I'm almost tempted to suggest you should buy a Pioneer N-30 and rip its electronics out and use that case as a basis for your PC...

Alternatively go the DIY route and find someone who will machine you a front panel.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I'm almost tempted to suggest you should buy a Pioneer N-30 and rip its electronics out and use that case as a basis for your PC...

Alternatively go the DIY route and find someone who will machine you a front panel.

Eloise

These guys are regular advertisers in Silicon Chip magazine (Au.) and get very good reviews using various materials, for both professional looking results and affordability.

Front Panel Express: Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

These guys are regular advertisers in Silicon Chip magazine (Au.) and get very good reviews using various materials, for both professional looking results and affordability.

Front Panel Express:*Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service

Thanks Alex; Thats the kind of thing I was thinking but couldn't remember the company ... if you could get a case where the front can be removed, replace it with something custom from these guys (or similar) ...

Eloise

---

Certainly a custom front panel would be needed, but looking through everyone's generously supplied links, I'm not seeing a small enough display to handle my needs. It seems that I will have to seek some sort of a DVI to LVDS or similar interface board and then perhaps employ one of the existing USB button boards with custom panel buttons appropriately mapped for the transport controls.

I guess all the above would be within my ability; it would just be difficult to find the time to devote to all the engineering required. It's a shame such a solution has to be kludged together.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one. I've been there, soldering smd etc. It had to fit in a custom cnc'd case, and height was also the problem.

The goal was to get it as slim as possible. (50 mm, a nightmare in 2004!)

Out of curiosity, what kind of design do you have in mind?

Ronnie

Nice one. I've been there, soldering smd etc. It had to fit in a custom cnc'd case, and height was also the problem.

The goal was to get it as slim as possible. (50 mm, a nightmare in 2004!)

Out of curiosity, what kind of design do you have in mind?

Ronnie

I plan to take a fanless case like the Atech Fabrication HeatSync 2800 with a custom front and rear panel. The motherboard will be rotated 180 degrees to route the video internally to the LCD with just power, Ethernet and USB on the back with a small panel-mount board. Additionally there will be a few hardware buttons for playlist and playback control on the front.