IGNORED

Dirac vs Ammaa IRC

I am thinking of trying some DSP and have been looking at Dirac and Amarra with IRC. I'd appreciate some information on the two that I can't seem to find. As I understand it, Dirac would work with any player (e.g. Amarra, Audirvana +, Pure Music). I know that the Amarra with IRC works with that player, but is it limited only to Amarra? Going with Amarra would be a little cheaper, but I wouldn't want to be limited in the players I could use.

Thanks for the info.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I gave up on Amarra a long time ago. Waste of cash.

I fired up my MacBook Pro and downloaded Jriver and DIRAC. I created an osx DIRAC filter. I love the Jriver for osx. It's a bummer there's no video or TV. I am streaming my library off of my windows Jriver to the Mac Jriver with no issues; flac and all.

It sounds pretty much the same as windows, which is good. :-)

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Exactly! It's an understatement to say it works fine in my opinion. It works excelent!

But my concern is being able to use other players. I have Amarra and like it, but I also like PM and A+ and I want the flexibility to choose.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Have you used it with other players?

As I own Amarra Symphony 3.0 with IRC, the answer is no. I am using Amarra for 3 - 4 years now and never had the urge to try another player... Now with integrated Dirac, the urge to try another player is even lower.

As I own Amarra Symphony 3.0 with IRC, the answer is no. I am using Amarra for 3 - 4 years now and never had the urge to try another player... Now with integrated Dirac, the urge to try another player is even lower.

+1

DallasJustice (DJ) uses Dirac Live with JRiver. He made me a convert on the use of DSP. I run Amarra 3.0 with iRC and the filter that DJ helped me create. I've got my measurement equipment on order now and I am eager to create filters for "chair" vs "sofa", door open vs closed in my listening room, etc. Also, at this point, the Dirac version integrated into Amarra creates filters up to and including 192K. My understanding is that the two channel version of Dirac with this feature is coming.

Ralph

I concur. While I do employ the other software players, most of the time the purpose for doing so is to compare SQ with AS3.0. Now that I can play DSD tracks in AS3.0, the inclination to use other players is even less frequently. Although, BitPerfect's DSD Master is a boon for converting DSD files to Hybrid PCM files at 176.4 so that I may play them on my auxiliary system which is limited to 96/24, BUT, then AS3.0's SRC then down samples those 176.4 tracks to 88.2 and I can play my entire library on my auxiliary system. The synergy for employing AS3.0 as my go-to software player since 2011 keeps getting better with the evolution of the player. Highly recommended despite what other members conclude about Amarra Symphony builds. I have no problems what so ever.

Best,

Richard

+1

DallasJustice (DJ) uses Dirac Live with JRiver. He made me a convert on the use of DSP. I run Amarra 3.0 with iRC and the filter that DJ helped me create. I've got my measurement equipment on order now and I am eager to create filters for "chair" vs "sofa", door open vs closed in my listening room, etc. Also, at this point, the Dirac version integrated into Amarra creates filters up to and including 192K. My understanding is that the two channel version of Dirac with this feature is coming.

Just to add to Ralph's comments: The iRC filters creates filters up to and including 384k which has been my experience. Just for the record. Sonic Studio will confirm my assertion.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

To be fair, I was well compensated for my intervention. Ralph makes the best burger on earth. :-)

+1

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

To be fair, I was well compensated for my intervention. Ralph makes the best burger on earth. :-)

I thought I made the best hamburger on earth and the best margarita in the Universe. But I will gladly share the title.

Enjoy the music, hamburgers and margaritas,

Richard

+1

In my opinion it's very important to "play" with the target frequency curve in Dirac, as I don't like AT ALL the suggested curve from Dirac... Way too much high frequency energy... Much better results to follow your uncorrected speaker response in that area, just smooth it out a bit! (assuming the speakes do have a decent frequency response) I also don't like the fact Dirac is trying to almost completely fill the "dips" in the frequency curve, that is causing most of the "digital clipping" problems people are experiencing and it put's way too much stress on loadspeakers and amps. (a lot of movement of the woofer and a lot of power needed) It sounds WAY better (in my opinion) to limit the filling up of dips to approx. 5 - 6 dB.

In my opinion it's very important to "play" with the target frequency curve in Dirac, as I don't like AT ALL the suggested curve from Dirac... Way too much high frequency energy... Much better results to follow your uncorrected speaker response in that area, just smooth it out a bit! (assuming the speakes do have a decent frequency response) I also don't like the fact Dirac is trying to almost completely fill the "dips" in the frequency curve, that is causing most of the "digital clipping" problems people are experiencing and it put's way too much stress on loadspeakers and amps. (a lot of movement of the woofer and a lot of power needed) It sounds WAY better (in my opinion) to limit the filling up of dips to approx. 5 - 6 dB.

Mark, thanks. Eager to try it. The clipping is a problem. Sonic has a 0 db "pink noise" file that can be downloaded for calibration. I play back that file through Amarra Playlist mode with the filter that I have created. I have to provide -5.0db in the Gain value of the iRC window to keep the Amarra Symphony meters out of the "red". I am using the curve produced by iRC and have not altered it yet. The ability to alter the filter is one of the key features in my view. Interestingly, the default optimized filter produced by Dirac smoothed out the highs in my system and made some harsh sounding CDs sound a bit more natural. Example: The Rolling Stones, "Some Girls", SHM-CD, very aggressive high frequencies, 16/44.1K rip played back through Amarra Symphony with iRC filter is much more enjoyable.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I probably can give you some tips. Can you post your graphs? (please open a new topic, to keep this one "clean")

With VERY few recordings I need to reduce gain with 3 dB, most of them play perfectly fine at -1, -2 dB, without touching max. level on the meters ever. If the meters are JUST touching max. level, I can't hear any clipping at all. So I am not too worried to see it happening just one or two times in a song. A "trick" to avoid the need for overall gain reduction, is to lower your target curve at all frequency points by eg. 2 or 3 dB. (I didn't do it, but I am sure it will "work", however I don't know if this has positive effect on SQ compared to reducing gain at "the end" in the iRC window)

I concur. While I do employ the other software players, most of the time the purpose for doing so is to compare SQ with AS3.0. Now that I can play DSD tracks in AS3.0, the inclination to use other players is even less frequently. Although, BitPerfect's DSD Master is a boon for converting DSD files to Hybrid PCM files at 176.4 so that I may play them on my auxiliary system which is limited to 96/24, BUT, then AS3.0's SRC then down samples those 176.4 tracks to 88.2 and I can play my entire library on my auxiliary system. The synergy for employing AS3.0 as my go-to software player since 2011 keeps getting better with the evolution of the player. Highly recommended despite what other members conclude about Amarra Symphony builds. I have no problems what so ever.

Best,

Richard

Thanks Richard. I too have had no problem with Amarra 2.6 and 3.0. A few annoyances but nothing is perfect (except my wife, and she's made 1 mistake). I do however like the other players and I want to keep future options open. Though I admit I do most of my listening with Amarra. I guess with Dirac and Amarra 3.0 I am pretty close to symphony. No DSD so I can't play either of my DSD files on Amarra, and I only own 2 files that are 192.

I am looking forward to trying Dirac. From what I've read it can be a game changer. BTW, thanks for so many of your informative posts. I mostly lurk on this site, but I appreciate the information you and others share.

Thanks Richard. I too have had no problem with Amarra 2.6 and 3.0. A few annoyances but nothing is perfect (except my wife, and she's made 1 mistake). I do however like the other players and I want to keep future options open. Though I admit I do most of my listening with Amarra. I guess with Dirac and Amarra 3.0 I am pretty close to symphony. No DSD so I can't play either of my DSD files on Amarra, and I only own 2 files that are 192.

I am looking forward to trying Dirac. From what I've read it can be a game changer. BTW, thanks for so many of your informative posts. I mostly lurk on this site, but I appreciate the information you and others share.

Happy to share my experiences with you. I am sure Dirac Live can meet your needs. I believe Dirac SE has updated so that one can vary the Filter Gain setting and will eventually provide filtering for 192k even though your track requirements for the SR is minimal.

Good fortune with the additions you are contemplating.

Enjoy the music,

Richard