IGNORED

My Dac is not DSD Compatible - Does it really matter?

In my system PCM 24/88 running through XXhighend into Benchmark DAC2 is superior sounding to DSD running through Foobar2000 into Benchmark DAC2 which only replays at DSD64.

This was done using a native DSD64 file played direct through Foobar then compared to native DSD64 file converted(Weiss Saracon) to PCM(24/88) and played through XXhighend.

I have a sonic playback difference between Foobar and XXhighend for a start as the same 24/88 PCM file is inferior playing from Foobar.

In saying this the DSD playback was very listenable. From other blogs it would appear playing DSD back at DSD128 or even 256 is even better again.

I did find JRMC superior to Foobar and XXhighend the best on PCM files playback in my system, so computer software does make quite a difference to final outcome at your ears.

This DSD debate is a conundrum for me as I have several SACD's(unripped) but XXhighend does not do DSD and nor does my DAC do higher DSD playback levels(128/256). I'm not buying any DSD downloads yet and waiting to see where it will go.

In my system PCM 24/88 running through XXhighend into Benchmark DAC2 is superior sounding to DSD running through Foobar2000 into Benchmark DAC2 which only replays at DSD64.

This was done using a native DSD64 file played direct through Foobar then compared to native DSD64 file converted(Weiss Saracon) to PCM(24/88) and played through XXhighend.

I have a sonic playback difference between Foobar and XXhighend for a start as the same 24/88 PCM file is inferior playing from Foobar.

In saying this the DSD playback was very listenable. From other blogs it would appear playing DSD back at DSD128 or even 256 is even better again.

I did find JRMC superior to Foobar and XXhighend the best on PCM files playback in my system, so computer software does make quite a difference to final outcome at your ears.

This DSD debate is a conundrum for me as I have several SACD's(unripped) but XXhighend does not do DSD and nor does my DAC do higher DSD playback levels(128/256). I'm not buying any DSD downloads yet and waiting to see where it will go.

If I recall correctly, XXHighEnd sounds delightful indeed, and I thought I saw some notes from Peter somewhere on the system where he was mumbling about DSD capability in XXHighEnd... Might have imagined it, but I do not

think so.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Is DSD the sweetspot for Benchmark Dac?

You could try Miska's HQ Player as its very well received. He has demo versions in Windows and a beta version for Mac.

I am very sure that the even the little iDSD NANO would not be embarrassed up against any $5000 PCM only DAC I can think of. Not embarrassed at all.

Hey Paul, you know that I have a Nano and a $5000 (or there-about) PCM-only DAC. "Embarrassed" may be stretching it a little, but the latter (especially in its latest 'a' guise) really is in a totally different league sonically. But that could also be said of it against any DAC I've ever heard, irrespective of price. Of course, this is with PCM material - the Nano trounces the NOS1a with DSD material ;-)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Hey Paul, you know that I have a Nano and a $5000 (or there-about) PCM-only DAC. "Embarrassed" may be stretching it a little, but the latter (especially in its latest 'a' guise) really is in a totally different league sonically. But that could also be said of it against any DAC I've ever heard, irrespective of price. Of course, this is with PCM material - the Nano trounces the NOS1a with DSD material ;-)

Mani.

(grin) Well, yes. But the NOS1a with DSD will probably be - better yet! Once Peter stops grousing about it... (/grin)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am not sure what the OP is using for a player on his MacBook Pro, but one option is to use Audirvana + and let it convert DSD files to PCM on the fly. It works quite well and is a good solution until one finds a DSD DAC that fits the bill.