IGNORED

Does this Networked Audio Player Exist?

Hi All. I'm looking for something with the following characteristics, or most of them:

1) relatively easy to set up, not too techie

2) works on wifi or a wired network

3) will stream internet radio stations and the common streaming services (e.g. Pandora, Spotify)

4) Will access a NAS drive or a computer on your network and allow you to choose albums/songs off that stored music

5) Can be controlled from Jriver (from the computer to the player, not the other way around)

6) Can be hooked up locally to mobile devices (iphones, androids), preferably digitally rather than analog connection. Wired or wireless)

7) Is not a receiver or integrated amplifier, but a player (source)

Does anything like this exist?

Thanks, Peter

If you drop android devices and no need for HiRes content, then yes an Apple Airport express does what you need when paired with an iPhone or iPad ( iPad screen interface is preferred for fat fingers!)

Now there's second gen Airports who's internal DAC is terrible and third gen who's internal DAC is excellent but its digital out buffers and drops playback. I personally cannot tell the difference between the third gen DAC and my Benchmark with 16/44.1.....but YMMV.

I'd love something like this myself but it apparently doesn't exist. I'm going with a pioneer AVR once it comes out. The 1124 is the least expensive to have pre outs. It does all of those things, plays all the formats I want, and is $600.

I'm not 100% sure if it suits all your criteria: but if you are happy with CD quality then Sonos should work; if you want high resolution then I think Blue Sound should suit you.

Sorry I missed your criteria 5.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.