IGNORED

Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Sessions Revisited DVD / CD

The best visual and audio fulfilling experience I have had, maybe ever.

I bought this as a DVD and CD combo deal, comes in the same case.

If you have your stereo and TV united I suggest watching it via the DVD.

The visual on this one just adds so much. The church it is filmed in is stunning and the

lighting is just over the top. Plus the DVD is in 24/96, and you can select between PCM stereo and 5.1.

A must see/listen.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Isn't it just luscious!!??

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

I don't suppose by any chance you'd be willing to write up a mini review, machinehead?

I was a huge fan of the original Trinity Sessions, but I kind of ignored this one when I saw it in the shops - I thought it was just another dodgy remastering job. Didn't realise it was a whole new performance. There's some very mixed reviews on Amazon, but it's still very tempting.

cuz I guess i felt it was "sacrilegious" or something, but it has become a real favorite. I play the 5.1 mix in the car a lot, and the richness of the mix is it's best attribute. Although not a real fan of Vic Chesnutt, the songs that are done by Ryan Adams (esp 200 More Miles) and Natalie Merchant are very nice alternatives to the originals. The video has each of them placed in a a separate spot on a circle and matched to the 5.1 surround mix. As stated, the lighting is quite nice. Margo looks great, as always, and sounds great too. Jeff Bird, the multi-talented sideman who's on most of their records, and tours with them (why isn't he a Junkie??) and was on the original Trinity Sessions, of course, is there to provide needed mandolin, harmonica, etc. And Alan's bass lines are much stronger and tighter than on the original. It rocks in places that would surprise you. Very well done.

Although I would disagree, about Vic Chestnutt; I think he is really good, he gravelly voice really adds a contrast the the rests' finelyl tuned voices. I would agree with the rest of ted's description. 200 more miles is turning out to be my favorite... I would add that I think Natalie's voice is a great compliment/contrast to Margo's. I liken it to peanut butter and chocolate, both creamy smooth in their own right, yet starkly contrasting.

After listing to the original for 20 years now, I really smile when I am caught off guard when Natalie's voice kicks in when I am expecting Margo's.....

How do you play the 5.1 mix in your car??

Souptin, don't delay, buy now!!

But wait theres more!

Ok, sorry, had to add the infomercial line....

setup in it. It is so good I bought the car out at the end of its lease last month ... :) I usually get tired of cars after 3 yrs but this time it was different. Guess it was the sound system. :)

I guess I will acquiesce to your comments about Vic Chesnutt, at least on this recording. His songs are not my fave but are a nice change of pace, and i suppose I wouldn't like the disc as much without the ebb and flow. Thanks!

P.S HiRez surround in the car is da bomb! A great environment for them.

was that the factory head unit, or did you add it? I guess I have been a bit out of the car audio scene for a while.....

of DVD-Audio (MLP up to 24/192) DTS 24/96 and of course the more lossy DVD-V Dolby Digital stuff. Although it has that "Bose" name, most of the stuff (amps, crossovers) were OEM'd by Harmon/Lexicon..who now have their own Logic7 stuff in car audio as diverse as Rolls and Hyundai.

I saw the Cowboy Junkies last night, damn they are good.....Jeff Bird is touring with them, what is the deal, why isn't he part of the band? I really can't imagine the sound being nearly as good without him.... Son Volt opened, despite being talented, their sound leaves a lot to be desired. Typical 'rock' style show, waaaaaay to loud, can't hear the vocals over

the overly loud guitars....They will however go on record as the most guitar changes in a 1 hour set, yeah like every song, one or both of them changed guitars, steel guitars, etc, must have been like 20+ changes....good guys, hanging out, outside after the show. Margo did the same, but we didn't say to try to say hello....

very cool stuff!!

and hangs out for questions in the lobby, etc. She's done that for quite awhile, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything unprofessional or unfortunate ever happening. I guess they attract a civil crowd. :) As good as they are on record, their concerts (like most good artists) are another league.

They are an early adopter of now a growing list of groups that promote online sharing of their downloads and their FLAC concert "bootlegs', usually recorded direct off the mixing boards.

The internet is the best invention yet for musicians to find an audience. I don't want to go off on too much of a rant about the flawed 'business model' of the music industry, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, thanks for your reviews. I'm sold!

In fact I'm going to order up the original as well as the revisited - after turning my place upside down, I have come to the conclusion that I must have loaned out my original copy several years ago and never got it back.

Oh, and to pick up on the in-car audio: My best ever was a Sony WM-D6C feeding an Alpine amp and Infiniti speakers. It sounded gorgeous! The car was an unreliable heap of sh!t, but boy did it sound good, even when I was stuck by the roadside waiting for the AA man! Now that I'm a middle aged grown-up with a company car (which has a truly dreadful music system) I often wonder what happened to my priorities :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi James, how did you determine this?

I sent the Junkies an email, lets see if they respond.

The email I received from the Junkies:

The audio was recorded in 24bit 96khz, but in order for it to play in the vast majority of conventional audio players it has to be reconfigured as 16bit.

Check out Margo's "Ty Tyrfu Sessions". Margo solo with Jeff Bird and a couple backing musicians!! I hope they release it as a Margo solo album on CD and vinyl. I'd buy both.

http://latentrecordings.com/cowboyjunkies/exclusive/

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com