IGNORED

Offline Upsampling

Jud

2 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Only HQPlayer Pro seems to use internal processing within the DSD domain.

Yes, knowledge of hqp led to my query - as you say, Pro is not priced for us domestic users! But, of course, that same internal processing occurs on the fly with hqp ... you just need a stellar pc installation for the best results, again $s.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1 minute ago, jamesg11 said:

Yes, knowledge of hqp led to my query - as you say, Pro is not priced for us domestic users! But, of course, that same internal processing occurs on the fly with hqp ... you just need a stellar pc installation for the best results, again $s.

Yes, and this stellar PC is bound to produce noise that lowers the SQ in a single PC setup. A solution would then be to separate this PC from a Spartan audio endpoint with NAA in a 2 box setup. However, this requires network that again adds noise. Which needs to be minimized using expensive routers, switches, an audiophile network card, fiber etc. More dollari / euri...

Hence my great recent relief to skip the network altogether and play from a lean fanless SATA-less wtfplay endpoint. It beats my previous 2 box setup.

A lot of money spent to no end, but that is the beauty of this hobby.

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Anyone else using this?

I used it to some file conversion from various other lossless formats into wav as well as some trials with DSD.  Can't remember if I did any DSD64 to higher rates.  For sure tried making DSD files out of everything from mp3 to DXD.  After sampling the alternatives I was happiest with results out of this program using the current at the time version.  Not sure I like how often it gets updated or if this sentiment would apply to the current version.

Main use I've found for it was rescuing ISO from SACD that ISO2DSD didn't like.  Which it did admirably leaving me to wonder as to source of corruption XRECODE was able to deal with.  Rather than drive myself crazy I just sat down to listen until the worry melted away. 

EZcd doesn’t have a mac version? What about xrecode? Or I’m still with XLD ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I had a look at the recent changelog.  @mansr's SOX is implemented as of version previous.  Good to see him getting well deserved recognition.  

Going to try v. 1.102 when I get a chance since it seems the updates are less worrisome than I feared.

• 3 months later...

Hello all ! I revive this thread to put the subject on a specific way. I am very interested by the Hugo M-Scaler which seems to have a very powerful and qualitative upsampling algorithm. But it is way too expensive for me, and I want to listen by myself what kind on results can be achieved this way. I wondered if a comparable algorithm (1 million taps) exists in an offline software ?

I am not interested by standard upsampling or DSD upsampling : all DACS are doing upsampling or deta-sigma upsampling internally and reproduce these standard algorithm offline is not the point. I am interested by an offline upsampler, who does 1 million tap filtering (it will be very slow, but it does not matter) or does what a standard DAC or upsampler cannot do without expensive FPGA. Are you aware of this kind of software ?

6 hours ago, JCB said:

Hello all ! I revive this thread to put the subject on a specific way. I am very interested by the Hugo M-Scaler which seems to have a very powerful and qualitative upsampling algorithm. But it is way too expensive for me, and I want to listen by myself what kind on results can be achieved this way. I wondered if a comparable algorithm (1 million taps) exists in an offline software ?

I am not interested by standard upsampling or DSD upsampling : all DACS are doing upsampling or deta-sigma upsampling internally and reproduce these standard algorithm offline is not the point. I am interested by an offline upsampler, who does 1 million tap filtering (it will be very slow, but it does not matter) or does what a standard DAC or upsampler cannot do without expensive FPGA. Are you aware of this kind of software ?

HQPlayer Pro

2 hours ago, ericuco said:

Interesting. It does offline resampling or realtime resampling ? I don't see offline in the data sheet. I have a good streamer (Auralic Aries G1, who does already advanced resampling with a DSP, but not as advanced as Chord M-Scaler) and I don't want to stream via PC. As far as I know, a PC cannot do 1 million taps upsampling in realtime, but maybe with Nvidia CUDA..

32 minutes ago, JCB said:

Interesting. It does offline resampling or realtime resampling ? I don't see offline in the data sheet. I have a good streamer (Auralic Aries G1, who does already advanced resampling with a DSP, but not as advanced as Chord M-Scaler) and I don't want to stream via PC. As far as I know, a PC cannot do 1 million taps upsampling in realtime, but maybe with Nvidia CUDA..

There are two HQPlayer “consumer” versions (Desktop & Embeded) that are real-time resampling only. I use HQP Desktop to convert all files to DSD256 format before file is sent to my DAC.

The value of HQP is the ability to use a powerful computer to convert files to various formats using a wide select of filters and modulators. DAC’s just don’t have the same processing power to do the same.

HQPlayer Pro is more for “professional” users that allows offline processing so that the new file can be saved. I assume it can do real-time as well but perhaps you can ask the developer @Miska  who is very active on AS.

3 hours ago, JCB said:

Both, you can choose to have monitoring output and/or file output. You can turn on/off the monitoring output on the fly as well.

1 million taps to 705.6/768k PCM (what Chord M-Scaler does) on my Xeon W-2245 is less than 10% CPU load, no need for GPU. So it is totally non-issue to do in realtime, even with regular CPUs. 32 million taps to 12 MHz is closer to the edge with Nvidia CUDA.

HQPlayer Desktop has free trial, you can try it out yourself with sinc-M filter.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

Both, you can choose to have monitoring output and/or file output. You can turn on/off the monitoring output on the fly as well.

1 million taps to 705.6/768k PCM (what Chord M-Scaler does) on my Xeon W-2245 is less than 10% CPU load, no need for GPU. So it is totally non-issue to do in realtime, even with regular CPUs. 32 million taps to 12 MHz is closer to the edge with Nvidia CUDA.

HQPlayer Desktop has free trial, you can try it out yourself with sinc-M filter.

Very interesting : I'll try for sure. And keep you informed.  Thank you very much.