IGNORED

Offline Upsampling

Jud

Hi SwissBear,

Thank you for detailed feedback. It is very important for me to know live situation.

- the interface is a little bit rough

What does you mean as rough? Design?

the translation into English not refined at all

Yes. Unfortunately, English is not our strong side. But, I hope, the issue will solved with time.

Especially, if certain mistakes will pointed.

- even if you do not dedicate all the processors you have on the Mac (I am using an old hexa-processors, which gives me 24 cores, of which I am using only 16 dedicated to the upsampling), the interface is not responsive while working, which prevents from easily interrupting the process for instance...

What kind conversion you do (input/output sample rate, file extensions)?

- the software fails to preserve the integrity of metadata of AIFF files on the mac ; especially, the file image is scrapped :-(

1. What edition and number version you use?

2. You convert AIFF to … (what type?) or edit AIFF?

3. What software you use for control of result metadata?

- when going through a directory which includes other files, like a PDF file (electronic leaflet of the CD) or a JPEG file (album artwork), we could expect the application to copy those files to the destination directory to produce a complete upsampled image of the source ; this is not the case

It was released in last version 5.4.1.

In Settings window > Metadata tab > Copy additional files switch must be checked

settings-metadata.png

In the file extension list you can add *.pdf extension (example: *.jpg;*.bmp;*.doc;*.txt;*.pdf).

Also you can auto builtin the images (in source directory) to destination file metadata. Check Pick up artwork switch.

- the directory output seems buggy, which makes the destination directory replicate the information of the directory name ('/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/xxx/Music/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/xxx/Music/XLD/....'

There are several options. See here User manual/How Work With Application

Since phrase: «1.2 Select folder where the converted files will be saved. »

If you have more questions or suggestions, write me, please.

Now a few questions about the optimal settings :

- is it useful to select the no-pre-ringing digital signal processing

- what are the best settings which would apply to an entire music library, without having to dig into each directory to retrieve the sampling information and adapt the settings to each CD or purchased electronic music.

The best settings, in my opinion, is default:

1. Linear filter (with pre-ringing)

2. Optimized mode (cut ultrasound).

Minimal phase filter is haven’t less artifacts. All pre-energy moved to post energy area. And post-energy area have double energy comparing linear filter.

The optimized mode can be considered as polarizing filter in photo that remove hotspots away reflecting subject. With filter we loss full light information, but can see the subject more clearly.

Of course, comparing with ultraviolet (UV) filter is closer to optimized mode. As example, if photo film sensitive to UV, it will have worse quality picture due UV’s impact.

If we apply UV-filter, photo take only what we need.

Less ultrasound - audio stuff better prepared for DAC.

For different combinations of input/output sample rates no difference almost. It reached via individual tuned resampling filter for the each combination. And allow to get equal (in allowed range) quality for any in/out sample rate combination.

You need found sample rate/filter mode (optimized/non-optimized/min-phase/linear) what you like more (at used equipment) and convert your library in this mode.

Best regards,

Yuri Korzunov,

AuI ConverteR’s developer

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

What does you mean as rough? Design?

This essentially means that the design of the interface is far from complying with the guidelines of the Macintosh interface, which makes it look outdated. But this is just cosmetic, so no that important.

But as far as the interface lack of reactivity is concerned, it looks like the upsampling process is launched from the interface process, which is strange as you are handling multiple processes in parallel.

What kind conversion you do (input/output sample rate, file extensions)?

I essentially upsample to 24/192 a directory of files which is the results of my CD library ripping with XLD. Most of files are 16/44.1 in AIFF format. Extensions are .aiff on the Mac. From the finder, you can check the icon to see that artwork is not included in the file, as it was in the original.

It was released in last version 5.4.1.

In Settings window > Metadata tab > Copy additional files switch must be checked

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24277[/ATTACH]

In the file extension list you can add *.pdf extension (example: *.jpg;*.bmp;*.doc;*.txt;*.pdf).

Also you can auto builtin the images (in source directory) to destination file metadata. Check Pick up artwork switch.

I am using 5.4.1. But the metadata tag is not identical to yours. Files are not copied although the box is checked. Is the size limit causing the problem ?

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 13.18.13.png

There are several options. See here User manual/How Work With Application

Since phrase: «1.2 Select folder where the converted files will be saved. »

If you have more questions or suggestions, write me, please.

I will PM you to sort out this directory problem.

Thanks for the settings suggestions.

Hi Yuri,

I essentially upsample to 24/192 a directory of files which is the results of my CD library ripping with XLD. Most of files are 16/44.1 in AIFF format. Extensions are .aiff on the Mac. From the finder, you can check the icon to see that artwork is not included in the file, as it was in the original.

I have a very similar workflow, upsampling mostly to DSF, though I have done AIFF, also very often from 16/44.1 XLD CD rips. I will check to see whether artwork is transferred. I don't bother to look with DSF conversions from PCM, since I don't think artwork is brought over with my SACD rips, so I am accustomed to not seeing artwork with DSF files.

I am using 5.4.1. But the metadata tag is not identical to yours. Files are not copied although the box is checked. Is the size limit causing the problem ?

I use 5.4.1 as well. I'll check to see what is happening with my files.

I will PM you to sort out this directory problem.

I know I don't have this problem. I've left my settings on default, which puts the files in a subdirectory of the original folder named "ConvertResult."

Thanks for the settings suggestions.

I use these settings and have been very happy with the results.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi SwissBear,

In parallel processed different file. One file processed into single thread due parallelism for processing single file is not so effective. Even can decrease performance. May be in future we found way effective using multiCPU for single file.

Sometimes AuI’s user stumbled with lags on big CPU number systems. But it is hard modeled problem. I think, it will solved when appear some info, that points to possible reason or environment that cause the trouble. I try found the lag’s reason every time.

Here possibly try limit number of used cores. It allow release resources for other application. As example for antiviruses, that hard consume resources and control created by AuI files.

Try limit number cores used by AuI in Settings window > General tab > Uses CPU cores count for releasing resources for other applications.

Sometimes lags appear during decoding big input files (non-native for AuI). As example, for CUE+big file decoding.

You need in Settings window > Metadata tab > check Compatibility metatags with iTunes switch.

Sorry. It was released in 5.5 version that I just uploaded. You need update AuI to latest version.

About AuI ConverteR 5.5 with new safe CD ripper (Deep Error Control) for Mac OS X read more here

New AuI ConverteR 48x44 v.5.5. Safe CD Ripper with Deep Error Control

Best regards,

Yuri

P.S. Now I will process your PM.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Hi Jud,

I have a very similar workflow, upsampling mostly to DSF, though I have done AIFF, also very often from 16/44.1 XLD CD rips. I will check to see whether artwork is transferred. I don't bother to look with DSF conversions from PCM, since I don't think artwork is brought over with my SACD rips, so I am accustomed to not seeing artwork with DSF files.

iTunes (and Finder too) demands non standard id3 tags implementations. It solving via check Settings window > Metadata tab > Compatibility metatadata with iTunes switch

I know I don't have this problem. I've left my settings on default, which puts the files in a subdirectory of the original folder named "ConvertResult."

AuI’s output directory management simple but have some sophisticated options. I will think how made it simpler.

Re-creating full source directory structure intended for creating copy of full source library, from root directory.

As, I supposed, after conversion target structure with files will replaced/edited. But possibly need to make the management more optimal.

Best regards,

Yuri

Hi Jud,

iTunes (and Finder too) demands non standard id3 tags implementations. It solving via check Settings window > Metadata tab > Compatibility metatadata with iTunes switch

Best regards,

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

If I don't use iTunes at all, do I still need to check that option?

Regarding output directory, other software has two levels of choices. The first level is whether to put the files in the same folder as the originals, or another folder (with a directory browser to choose this other folder). The second level, if the first choice is to put the files in the same folder as the originals, is whether to delete the originals after conversion is done.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Regarding output directory, other software has two levels of choices. The first level is whether to put the files in the same folder as the originals, or another folder (with a directory browser to choose this other folder). The second level, if the first choice is to put the files in the same folder as the originals, is whether to delete the originals after conversion is done.

+1

I have left the default "ConvertResults", but would prefer these two levels of choices.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hi Yuri,

In parallel processed different file. One file processed into single thread due parallelism for processing single file is not so effective. Even can decrease performance. May be in future we found way effective using multiCPU for single file.

Here lies the problem for the sluggish interface during heavy duty processing. If the first processing task is achieved within the interface thread, then the interface naturally freezes. One should create one thread for each process, and leave the interface live within its own thread (just my 2c).

Try limit number cores used by AuI in Settings window > General tab > Uses CPU cores count for releasing resources for other applications.

Already done ; I am dedicating only 16 cores to the application, among 24 available (6 processors x 4 cores per processor). Old machine but still powerful.

You need in Settings window > Metadata tab > check Compatibility metatags with iTunes switch.

Will try.

Sorry. It was released in 5.5 version that I just uploaded. You need update AuI to latest version.

Will update.

Thanks.

If I don't use iTunes at all, do I still need to check that option?

Only if you want to see artworks in Mac's Finder. I suppose, it use iTunes engine.

Other software (Audirvana, JRiver, Amarra) will understand any kind of id3 (as compatible with iTunes, as standard).

Here lies the problem for the sluggish interface during heavy duty processing. If the first processing task is achieved within the interface thread, then the interface naturally freezes. One should create one thread for each process, and leave the interface live within its own thread (just my 2c).

Once same problem was fixed via logging optimization (huge log messages number on Log tab of AuI's main window). May be need work under logging optimization more. It can be real reason of interface freezing during big core numbers send log messages in parallel due it performed in main interface thread.

Jud: If you are upsampling redbook to DSD (64, 128, 256?) are you then still doing anything with iZotope in Audirvana or have you substituted Yuri's upsampler for the upsampling in Audirvana? I can't remember whether you also use HQPlayer but would the same apply, i.e. it is best to do all the upsampling in one step and the choice comes down to lower active computing load/higher storage requirements by going offline versus higher processing/lower storage when doing it in real time?

Also, what about the filters applied in Audirvana and HQ Player, I'm not seeing similar filter choices in AUConverter (but I may have missed it).

Separately, I think we would be doing the Computer Audiophile Community a favor if a group of us got together and helped write a clearer version of Yuri's User Manual. [Yuri: your English has improved tremendously over your time here on CA, but I think with a bit of help on the language, it would become a much more poular product!]

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Hi Yuri,

Regarding output directory, other software has two levels of choices.

Hi Jud,

The option to use the relative directory is not practical when you have large numbers of albums to process, because you would have to move considerable numbers of files manually.

The problem with the output directory is a small bug IMHO.

If :

- you select the middle icon

- you choose an output directory (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Resampled) for instance,

- your original files are in a directory named (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Music/Artists/Albums/)

then your resampled files will be located in a directory which has a duplicate tree name (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Resampled/Volumes/Users/xxx/Music/Artists/Albums/).

If :

- you select the right icon

- you choose an output directory (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Resampled) for instance,

- your original files are in a directory named (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Music/Artists/Albums/)

then your resampled files will be located in a directory which is missing the artists names (/Volumes/Users/xxx/Resampled/Albums/).

Shouldn't be rocket science to solve. Far less complicated than correctly upsampling IMHO.

Thanks

Hi Sdolezalek,

Also, what about the filters applied in Audirvana and HQ Player, I'm not seeing similar filter choices in AUConverter (but I may have missed it).

In my opinion, need only linear phase filter. «Brickwall» as possibly.

Ringing is not such big problem for musical signal, I think. In music a few sharp fronts like square wave.

More important cut ultrasound. There can be significant noises caught during recording from analog sources. Or products of DSD to PCM conversion with wide band.

Separately, I think we would be doing the Computer Audiophile Community a favor if a group of us got together and helped write a clearer version of Yuri's User Manual. ]

Yes. User manual is very important now: the software have enough complex settings.

[Yuri: your English has improved tremendously over your time here on CA, but I think with a bit of help on the language, it would become a much more poular product!]

Thank you for kind words. Yes. Right language using is very important for bringing minds from head to other peoples.

Best regards,

Yuri

Yes. User manual is very important now: the software have enough complex settings.

Thank you for kind words. Yes. Right language using is very important for bringing minds from head to other peoples.

Best regards,

Yuri

Yuri: Thanks for the response on filters. With regard to the User Manual, let me download the current version and see if I can turn it into a document that we might be able to edit using a shared Dropbox account, so that a number of us here could offer suggestions and you could respond to those suggestions.

If anyone else has a better shared drafting solution please propose it, but my guess is that a group of three of four of us working over the course of a week could make real progress.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Sdolezalek,

Current user manual available here online AuI ConverteR 48x44 Help

Also there planned for including:

1. How convert ISO to DSF WAV FLAC AIFF without clicks. User manual

2. How Maximize Loudness Audio File and Avoid Overload

3. FLAC CUE Splitter - AuI ConverteR 48x44 audio converter

4. DSF Meta Tag Editor - Audio Converter AuI ConverteR 48x44

5. What is dithering audio?

6. How Convert Sample Rate. Oversampling

7. How Convert Sample Rate. Divide. Downsampling

8. What Is Ringing Audio

Also I have several typlcal questions that will need clarify via new articles. One of this questions: "what the best settings for using".

Hi Jud,

The option to use the relative directory is not practical when you have large numbers of albums to process, because you would have to move considerable numbers of files manually.

Thanks

I think an option to put the converted files in the same directory they came from might be helpful here.

Jud: If you are upsampling redbook to DSD (64, 128, 256?) are you then still doing anything with iZotope in Audirvana or have you substituted Yuri's upsampler for the upsampling in Audirvana? I can't remember whether you also use HQPlayer but would the same apply, i.e. it is best to do all the upsampling in one step and the choice comes down to lower active computing load/higher storage requirements by going offline versus higher processing/lower storage when doing it in real time?

Howdy. :)

Speaking generally, I have three ways of listening:

- Casual listening (e.g., shuffle play through the entire collection, background music for parties) is with Audirvana+, using the filtering parameters I came up with partially by ear and partially by looking at 'scope drawings of the filter's effects in iZotope RX3.

- When I want to listen a bit more closely to a particular album/artist/songs, I do so with XXHighEnd or HQPlayer, since their filters have been designed by people who know something.

- When I want to do my most critical listening, I first convert to DSD128 (the highest resolution my DAC accepts) with Audiophile Inventory, because it uses offline filtering, which allows a level of power and sophistication beyond what my 2009 MacBook Pro is able to run with HQPlayer's or XXHighEnd's inline filtering. I then play back using Audirvana+, which allows me to take advantage of that software's provisions for direct mode and keeping various computer functions quiet during playback. (If I had a true NOS DAC, XXHighEnd would also be an option along the same lines, but since XXHighEnd does not work with DSD it would mean letting the DAC chip do the sigma-delta modulation. This doesn't sound bad at all, but for the most critical listening I want the conversions done in software.)

Hi Sdolezalek,

In my opinion, need only linear phase filter. «Brickwall» as possibly.

Ringing is not such big problem for musical signal, I think. In music a few sharp fronts like square wave.

More important cut ultrasound. There can be significant noises caught during recording from analog sources. Or products of DSD to PCM conversion with wide band.

Best regards,

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

As you know, I compared the linear phase filter to the minimum phase filter you also offer in AuI, and prefer the linear phase filter. Still, I would be very interested to hear any further development attempts you make with the minimum phase filter, as well as perhaps a windowing filter designed to be linear phase but minimize ringing. I am curious to know how well these could be implemented with offline filtering.

With my ears, in my system, I have so far preferred linear phase filtering, and even if I would not change my opinion on that, other people with different ears and systems might well have different preferences.

Of course you are the developer and the decision is yours, but I cannot help being a little curious. :)

Hi Jud,

Still, I would be very interested to hear any further development attempts you make with the minimum phase filter, as well as perhaps a windowing filter designed to be linear phase but minimize ringing. I am curious to know how well these could be implemented with offline filtering.

Several filters (non-optimized DSD, if I right) is only linear phase now. I will add min-phase too there.

Also linear phase-min ringing (facile pass-stop band transient) in my plans too.

For this case can be realizing troubles for 44/48 kHz sample rates only. Usually there possibly to release stop band upper 1/2 sample rate. It cause mirrored artifacts to most upper part of audible range (19…20 kHz and above).

Both goals added in wish list.

In nearest plans (if all will by plan), I want release new CD ripper [Deep Error Control] (that currently released in 5.5 under Mac OS X) under Windows.

Also I now reworks site for better understanding: what is AuI ConverteR? And for better bringing all its possibilities. Made the site more structured.

With my ears, in my system, I have so far preferred linear phase filtering, and even if I would not change my opinion on that, other people with different ears and systems might well have different preferences.

Of course you are the developer and the decision is yours, but I cannot help being a little curious. :)

Yes. There can be different preferences. Of course, need give choose possibility.

It was one of reasons why I applied min-phase filters and non-optimized filters.

My goal is provide for any type of the filters primal studio quality features (as better as possibly for me): stop band suppression, transient band, pass band, minimal ringing.

Also I try reduce calculation time.

But main features (as example: post ringing only) of each types are kept.

When I designed DSD’s non-optimized filters, first variant was 0 … 30 kHz pass band. But noise floor for DSD64 was great (by my demands) and I limited band 0 … [22…27] kHz.

Here all changeable. In future possibly different cases :)

Best regards,

Yuri

P.S. I want add cases of applying offline resampling: hardware media streamer/servers, mobile phone or digital audio players.

Sdolezalek,

Current user manual available here online AuI ConverteR 48x44 Help

Also there planned for including:

1. How convert ISO to DSF WAV FLAC AIFF without clicks. User manual

2. How Maximize Loudness Audio File and Avoid Overload

3. FLAC CUE Splitter - AuI ConverteR 48x44 audio converter

4. DSF Meta Tag Editor - Audio Converter AuI ConverteR 48x44

5. What is dithering audio?

6. How Convert Sample Rate. Oversampling

7. How Convert Sample Rate. Divide. Downsampling

8. What Is Ringing Audio

Also I have several typlcal questions that will need clarify via new articles. One of this questions: "what the best settings for using".

Hi Yuri,

What would be the best way to help ? I started to review the 1. and edit it in plain text, but this might not help you very much. I tried to go through the html source, which is quite uncomfortable. Which html editor are you using ?

A short update from my side.

With the help of Yuri, and especially the indication of appropriate parameters to keep the album artwork and to transfer .pdf and .jpg files into the new directories, I have been able to achieve what I wanted. The files produced were very good.

The problems raised in terms of user interface, responsiveness and directories remain, but are not a limitation when trying to convert a reasonable number of albums. It was more of a problem as I tried to convert my whole library (300 albums) which in hindsight was not the best thing to do.

Hi SwissBear,

Thank you for feedback about copying file function.

What would be the best way to help ? I started to review the 1. and edit it in plain text, but this might not help you very much. I tried to go through the html source, which is quite uncomfortable. Which html editor are you using ?

Currently I used Editra text editor (Mac OS X). New site design (while not published) performed in this editor.

Some time ago I used Microsoft Web Expression. But I can’t found under Mac so suitable tool and/or without bugs.

It is not problem what editor use. It may be OpenOffice, or MS Office other. For site or placing to embed help content converted/re-worked in html format.

Need artworks/screenshots as separate pictures for better image quality in help.

Also possibly use interactive html-editor on samplerateconverter.com. I closed new user registering due big spam issue. But I can to send user name/login via PM or email.

I want observe copyright issue.

For public conveniece, I suggest contribution and distribution of the manual under separate free license.

The license will note all authors (pseudonym or real name, as the author want) and allow free distribute the manual (for avoiding possible publishing problem).

The problems raised in terms of user interface, responsiveness and directories remain, but are not a limitation when trying to convert a reasonable number of albums. It was more of a problem as I tried to convert my whole library (300 albums) which in hindsight was not the best thing to do.

Bing number items in input file list theoretically can cause problem (memory issue?). I will try model your situation (300 albums x 15 tracks, each in separate directory).

If possibly wait 2-3 days, I will model it after end of the new site design. If it is urgent trouble (write me) I will begin it today-tomorrow (need prepare library model AIFF 16/44).