IGNORED

Offline Upsampling

Jud

On 9/21/2018 at 8:09 AM, audiventory said:

In Settings > General:

1. 3 filter modes;

Hello Yuri,

I recently started testing the trial version of AuI ConverteR. I read the section of your website "How to improve sound quality via "the best sounding mode". Can you clarify these points:

What are the differences between the 3 filter modes: Optimized, Non-Optimized and Non-Optimized Wide? 

Does AuI ConverteR modulate DSD64 files to DSD128 entirely in the DSD domain?

My library/playback software is Audirvana 3.5 installed on a late-2012 Mac Mini. I have a  large library of classical, jazz and new creative music in DSF and PCM file formats. Files that I converted -- PCM to DSD128 or  DSD64 to DSD128 -- do not exceed the processor and memory capabilities of my Mac Mini. By contrast, signal dropouts sometimes occur when I use Audirvana's iZotope or SoX conversion from PCM to DSD128.

When I first installed Audirvana I enjoyed playing with the iZotope and SoX filters, but now I would like to listen without distractions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to bodiebill for posting the link to Poikosoft EZ CD Audio converter. I tested the software on several 24/96 PCM classical music recordings and 24/192 Blue Note jazz reissues, resampling to DSD128. Conversion is very quick, about 4 minutes. Cover art and metadata tags are preserved and copied over to the destination folder. Sound quality is excellent, and the load on the CPU is very light compared to converting on the fly. 

Mac Mini late-2012 i5 16GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5, USB direct to Gustard DAC X-26.  

Graphic confirmation that conversion of DSD64 to higher rate DSD reduces the HF noise inherent in DSD.

I remodulated two DSD64 albums to DSD128, and set the DSD filter on my DAC to a higher frequency (presets at 47, 50, 60 and 70kHz). Improvements are noticeable, but more subtle to my ears than conversions from PCM to DSD128. Processing time for a one-hour DSD64 album to DSD128 is around 6 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...