IGNORED

Bob Dylan DSD Downloads on Super HiRez

I downloaded "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" in DSD and it is really super to my ears!

I sure hope they release "Blood on the Tracks" in DSD...

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I downloaded "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" in DSD and it is really super to my ears!

I sure hope they release "Blood on the Tracks" in DSD...

Best,

John

If the current DSD downloads were taken from the SACD masters, then you can expect "Blood On the Tracks" to follow as there is an SACD version of that album as well. His early catalog was released on SACD including:

Blonde on Blonde

John Wesley Harding

Bringing It All Back Home

Nashville Skyline

Highway 61 Revisited

The sound quality of the DSD versions is significantly better than the Redbook ones.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

If the current DSD downloads were taken from the SACD masters, then you can expect "Blood On the Tracks" to follow as there is an SACD version of that album as well. His early catalog was released on SACD including:

Blonde on Blonde

John Wesley Harding

Bringing It All Back Home

Nashville Skyline

Highway 61 Revisited

The sound quality of the DSD versions is significantly better than the Redbook ones.

That's my guess as well. I think we will see more than just these two from Super HiRez in the weeks ahead. Who knows, they may even post a few of the Dylan albums in Multichannel DSD as well.

But if you want good remasterings of early Dylan for less, you can get the Original Mono Recordings box set for $90. 10 Discs. Yes mono, but sounds really good. Some of it was really intedned to be in mono anyway

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...
I assume these are sourced from the early-2000s SACD releases from Columbia/Sony, as opposed to the more-recent MFSL SACDs?

That's what it says on the web site. "DSD files created by Gus Skinas from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters"

They just did. 13 more Bob Dylan albums are available today on the Super HiRez section of the Acoustic Sounds web site.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds

Thank you! Downloading now...

Best,

John

P.S. 12 downloads and one LP...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Wow. Downloaded "Blood on the Tracks" just to see how it compared to other versions I have (including MFSL).

This is better. Just sounds really good. Guess I will buying a few more of these babies.

I don't want to buy all of them though. Anyone have comments on Highway 61 or Blonde on Blonde - how do they sound compared to other versions?

Or any other of the set that seems outstanding to you?

Thanks

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I generally prefer the MFSL SACDs over the Sony SACDs. The Sony mastering has a slightly boosted top end, which sounds more impressive at first, but I think the MFSL mastering is more natural, closer to how the tapes really sound.

The Sony/AS DSD is definitely a little brighter than the MFSL (I have only the Redbook rip), but I'm not sure that's because the highs are boosted: It's also a little cleaner and clearer - you can hear each individual instrument more easily, so that may account for the differnce. And on my setup it's also a bit louder. The MFSL does sound a little "warmer". I couldn't say what's more "natural". Preference is probably more one of taste. They are both good. For people that don't have an SACD player, the DSD download might be the way to go.

I generally prefer the MFSL SACDs over the Sony SACDs. The Sony mastering has a slightly boosted top end, which sounds more impressive at first, but I think the MFSL mastering is more natural, closer to how the tapes really sound.

I agree with you. I have all of the Sony SACDs and bought 3 of the MFSL SACDs and they have a much nicer high end to my ears

I agree with you. I have all of the Sony SACDs and bought 3 of the MFSL SACDs and they have a much nicer high end to my ears

When MFSL starts offering DSD Downloads, it will be interesting to compare the Dylan files. Until then, Blowin' In The Wind sounds pretty fine here via Super HiRez !