IGNORED

DAC built into the speaker?

I get that noise when turning on too but understand that it is normal and nothing to worry about. I use the USB version and like Radar I'm not convinced that investing in expensive optical cables will give you better sound. As long as the cable is of reasonable quality material/workmanship and not kinked it should be ok, at least that what I concluded after testing a few. You may tell from this post that I'm a cable sceptic!

I'm going to demo the Linn Majik DS as a source for the ADM9s and will compare with the USB input from my Macbook. The dealer says the DS will be night and day better than the internal dac but we shall see.

Keep enjoying the music.

PaulC.

Paul C and Radar,

Thanks - I have been acquainting myself with the ADM9s this w/e and I think they are just fantastic. The back panel gets hot though - do you find this? Paul - I will be very intereseted to see if a Linn CD/DAC improves things. I have not ever heard as good as I am hearing from a Mac playing AIFF or lossless into the ADM digital input. I did try my CD player direct to the analogue input, but got nothing - I assume you need an external pre-amp? Phil.

Phil, they do get a little hot but I understand (from the well informed dealer I bought them from) that its normal.

I think you should be able to use the CD analogue output to the ADM9 analogue input - the preamp is already built in. I think you need to use the remote control to change from the toslink to the analogue input. Try that and if it does not work give AVI a skype call/email. I'm sure its just a matter of changing with the remote though. I'll keep you posted on the Linn DS when I get the chance to demo.

PaulC.

Phil,

Mine ADM9s also run hot but I would not worry about it. I leave them on almost all the time, and they have worked fine since August.

Paul,

I would love to hear how the Majik DS compares to the ADM9s. For what it is worth, some guys at my dealer compared the pre amp in the ADM9s to a Linn Majik pre-amp, and even the resident Linn fan had a hard time telling which was better.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.

Thanks for your comments guys. I think you are right about the remote switching between the analogue and digital inputs - must try this. My only slight disappointment was the quality of the remote. I have an old Arcam remote which I am currently using - a button on this will probably switch them. Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Radar,

I can't find the post, but you did ask me to let you know how I found the ADM9 Sub. I picked up one at the weekend, Ashley's own "Special Edition" in Cherry to match my ADM9s. It is great, really "fills out" the music. A very substantial item, fantastic build quality and real "grunt". I am very pleased. However, don't let me give you the wrong impression - the ADM9s work really well on their own without the Sub - the Sub just adds a further dimension. If you live in a flat or non-detached house, the LFs the Sub emits could have the neighbours banging on your door!

A few months ago I had not heard of AVI - now I am probably a lifelong devotee!

Regards

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the update. I currently live in a house, so distubing the neigbors is not a problem. For music I feel like the ADM9s do just fine in the bass department I figure it would add an extra dimension for movies and tv. I do like the fact it is made to go between the speakers. Hopefully I will get to hear one in the not too distant future.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear the AVI's - anyone live anywhere near Kent / London and fancy demonstrating ? The fact I could lose my amps and large floor standers to give me more space really really appeals.

Can you connect normal phono leads to them too ? For example, I have a cinema amp too so I'd output the digital signal to the AVI's but would still wish to use them as front left and right for my surround system ...

Cheers,

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Mike

The 9.1s are a substantial re-design and significantly improved sound quality and they now have two optical digital inputs and one analogue via conventional RCA phono sockets, which could be from your surround processor. The preamp is designed to remember individual volume settings for each channel too, so you could set and forget.

if you speak to Mike at Billy Vee, he is your nearest dealer and has a pair on dem, or if you can stand a train journey, you're welcome to visit us.

There has been a lot of resistance to Computers in audio in the UK, especially from dealers, but slowly we're appointing more. The extraordinary thing is that over 90% are sold direct without dem and that many of these are going overseas. Tokyo today!

Ash

We hope to send Chris a pair this week!

Matt,

I thoroughly recommend the ADM9s (or 9.1s) and Sub - they have changed my attitude to hi fi gear totally. I use a Macbook as a source playing lossless files using the digital input and have a Cambridge Audio DVD player connected into the analogue inputs - both give excellent results. I don't quite know how they do it, but the ADM9s give a very honest detailed sound, pretty analytical, so good recordings sound great, poor recordings are shown for what they are. At the same time, you can connect an ipod shuffle to the analogue inputs playing MP3 files (as I did for the first time today) and still get pretty good results - connect an ipod nano or similar playing lossless and it is almost as good as having a decent CD player connected.

Makes me wonder why an ipod through headphones does not sound better. I have ordered a Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp as I hope it may do for portable music what the ADM9s do for my home set up! I will report on this when I have trialed it, but Graham Slee, like AVI, have a very good reputation.

Phil

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'm going to have to listen to a pair. I did go to the Bristol Sound and Vision Show and at the time, like so many others, I walked past AVI's room. What an idiot I was.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Chris says about them.

But, having not read a bad review ... I think it's time to stick most of my system on e-bay !!!

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

The signal to noise ratio wasn't good but we were able to do a stunning rendition of Stars and Strips Forever! It was an early stereo recording and very convincing indeed.

ADM9.1s are about 10 dB louder than passive two way equivalents and extend to a good 30Hz with the Sub, so are well up to the task!

We've decided not to do the Bristol Hi Fi Show again as the turnout was quite small and too "alternative" for us. I think much of the audio industry is clinging to turntables and in denial over computers, while the Computer Magazines cover hi fi but only budget stuff. A UK sister publication to Hi Fi Choice and devoted to Macs thought ADM9.1s too expensive to review, while Hi Fi Choice seem to be focussing more on esoteric separates. We belong in the yawning chasm between to two. The Gadget Show has 30,000 attendees and the Bristol Show, which claims to be the largest, has 6,000 claimed.

We're open house and people visit us from all over the world, so if you're in the UK or visiting it, please get in touch and come have lunch, just give us a few days notice that's all.

Ashley