IGNORED

Linnrecords to stop selling Studio Masters from other labels

FYI, I received an email from Linn stating that as of August 25, Linn won't be selling highres content from other labels.

Not a huge miss per a as their prices weren't always very competitive, but still not a good sign as from a consumer perspective less competition is not necessarily a good thing.

It may also be a sign that the record labels are pulling their music to sell via their own sites or other more recognised ventures.

I got a similar email ... found it ironic they were informing me they will not longer sell material from other labels, while promoting Norah Jones.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I got the impression that Linn lost its licenses to sell other labels, and that Linn was trying to renegotiate them.

I wonder whether the imminent launch of Pono and the (hoped for) expansion of demand for digital download's has the labels re-thinking how much they should charge to license their music for digital download. It would make sense that they would want to charge more if they thought the market was going to take off. I recall that Showtime felt it grossly undervalued its content when it first licensed it to Netflix for streaming video, and Netflix pretty much used it to put its streaming business on the map.