IGNORED

Bands with great horn sections

Trying to expand my collection a bit, but could use some direction. Typically, my music tastes favor progressive metal/rock and female vocals. However, I've also grown up listening to bands like The Doobie Brothers and Chicago, who have some great horn sections. I'm aware of some more modern "jam-bands" like DMB and OAR, who also have some solid horn sections (especially sax), but what are some other great bands out there that can rip it up with the horns?

I love a good sax as well, especially the OAR sax player...guy can really get soaring/atmospheric with his style. Any other similar groups like that?

Thanks guys! BTW, gotta throw a pitch for Spotify. That app has truly changed my ability to find/enjoy new music prior to purchasing albums!

Dell Studio Slim w/ Windows 7 > Schiit Bifrost > Musical Fidelity M1HPA > Audeze LCD2.2

The best horn section ever was Wayne Jackson and Andrew Love, a.k.a. The Memphis Horns. Their resume is 50-year list of the best R&B, soul, and horn-backed rock recordings of all time: Al Green, Ann Peebles, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Peter Gabriel, Robert Cray, U2, Steve Winwood, Jack White, and, yes, the Doobie Brothers, too. This should keep you busy for awhile:

THE MEMPHIS HORNS® WAYNE JACKSON & ANDREW LOVE partial discography?

Tower of Power!

Some of the best horn charts on any rock record can be found on the live Band album, "Rock of Ages," and the playing (by a bunch of A-list New York session players) is exemplary. The first track, the Holland-Dozier-Holland chestnut "Don't Do It," will jump out of you speakers and pin you to the far wall. Turn it up!

None of the horn players in Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes will ever be famous for their chops, but the charts are dead-on appropriate for the music. Start with "Without Love" from the second studio album.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

The best horn section ever was Wayne Jackson and Andrew Love, a.k.a. The Memphis Horns. Their resume is 50-year list of the best R&B, soul, and horn-backed rock recordings of all time: Al Green, Ann Peebles, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Peter Gabriel, Robert Cray, U2, Steve Winwood, Jack White, and, yes, the Doobie Brothers, too. This should keep you busy for awhile:

THE MEMPHIS HORNS® WAYNE JACKSON & ANDREW LOVE partial discography?

+1!!!!!

I'd suggest two live albums by bands not traditionally known for horns for your consideration. They both have amazing horns added for the tours and it works great!

The Band "Rock of Ages"

Van Morrison "It's Too Late To Stop Now"

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

All of James Brown's bands had great horn sections.

Also, there is a band that plays on the east coast of the U.S. called the Hackensack Men with the Trenton Horns that have a great horn section. Recommend them if you have a chance to see them.