IGNORED

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell 96/24

Here are some plots of the Pink Floyd - The Division Bell download from highresaudio.com. Overall, all the tracks are more or less similar, so the chosen 96k sampling rate seems to be suitable for this particular recording (bandwidth is limited elsewhere).

To my ears, this recording has a ringing/tizzy treble, kind of painful character. What do others think?

Technically this recording will work fine also with DSD64 upsampling.

pf-02.jpg

pf-04.jpg

pf-07.jpg

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

To my ears, this recording has a ringing/tizzy treble, kind of painful character. What do others think?

I'm glad that it was not just me. As soon as I started playing it it felt that something was wrong. Very "trebly", to the extent that I have not been able to get through more than three tracks without switching back to my CD rip. Extremely disappointing.

I find this to be a very good transfer. A step up from the cd. The soundstage is very nice and the hires offers lots of ambient information which is not present on the cd. I had listened to the entire album twice before reading this thread and would never have used the words "ringy" or "tizzy" to describe the sound. Not at all in my system. I am using an NOS dac with tubes and Senn HD600 phones.

I must admit that I was disappointed as well. I have a copy of the original released CD and have always thought that to be pretty good but to my ears, the HiRes version is over strident, perhaps even aggressive in its presentation. That's not to say that it isn't a good transfer. It just doesn't suit my preference

Hi!

The bells have a ringing treble...

..kidding..

Can you point a specific passage or is the whole album.

I got the album and sounds very good, but it's late night and can't really push it...

Since this one of my all time fav. PF albums, I ordered it today and have been listening to it for awhile now. No doubt, the 96 bit version is much better. I did find that I had to convert the flac to wav to get the best sound, but that's nothing new. I generally order in flac to save download space and convert to wav. Always sounds better, smoother, more detailed.

The CD is simply missing some HF material, sibilants, air, that are present in the 96 kHz files. Good job, HDTracks!

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

I picked this up as well and am very impressed with this version. Excellent bass slam too! Def a must purchase for any Floyd fans(who isn't!)

Not sure what the folks who posted negative reviews are hearing but I experienced no such harshness. Who knows, maybe I'm deaf'er then I thought and just can't hear those frequencies anymore :(

ahah maybe it's my case too, after 40 we probably are more tolerant..and also my quads have a bit of hi-frequency roll-off...

But I can understand that some Guilmour solos, which have a very sharp sound, may sound agressive in bright systems...fortunately not so in my case...

I can't agree with the treble comments. Nope. I'd say quite on par with the original release. In regards to sounding better - Definitely better clarity (especially with minor keyboard effects. Some will talk compression and all.. and I'm sure to some degree it has been to bring all the small things forward and punch up the bass BUT it is not a fatiguing release by any means. I can see it becoming my go to for this album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I spent some time with both the plain vanilla 16/44.1 CD rip and the downloaded 2496 Division Bell from HDTracks. I played FLAC files through Foobar2000 with a AURALiC VEGA digital to analog converter. OK -- I'm 55 years old, so I might not have the high treble hearing of the original post'er but I've always wore ear protection when electricity was combined with music during live shows, and at 45 had an audiologist test my hearing, and the results were "better than average" for my age group.

I hear NO treble anomolies that he complains of. In fact, these are very nice sounding files -- I have no doubt that no expense was spared by The Pink Floyd during either the recording and mastering of the original master... I just wonder what source they used to make the HDTracks 24/96 master. Did they even have the gear back then. Was it dugital or analog? Both? If digital, wss the technology avaiable to make a "tape" with more than 48HZ back then? Getting this kind of info is nearly impossible in my experience. So, just enjoy! The bass is amazing! The soundstage is huge! The treble is certainly acceptable...I'm an analog kind of guy for the most part and leave digital mostly for desktop and mobile listening - but The Division Bell I can listen through the big rig (70 wpc tube amps, large efficient speakers) with no chance of getting a headache or any other audiophile nasties! Nice! Let's hear it for HDTracks, and the fact that it only cost 20 USD to download safely and legally.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Old thread I know but HDTracks has been hyping the heck out of it lately so I thought I'd see what the community thought. Since the posts here are about 50/50 think I keep my $20 bucks. I got the original CD plus the Pulse CD and the Pulse BluRay in 5.1 HiDef. so I don't see a need for another high priced spread.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.