IGNORED

Mini component system for 500 - 800

A good friend retired last month. He is giving up his stereo equipment. He has some 20 year old ARC and Adcom gear. He already gave away his speakers to family. His ARC pre and amp are going to family also.

He wants a small system the plays CD's, has a AM/FM tuner. His wants a high quality desktop system. He has a nephew wanting the LP's and turntable.

We are collecting money for a gift. A nice mini-system is what his wants. He does not use a computer. We have 500.00 now. Hope to have 700 - 800 by his dinner.

Any recommendations for a small system. A sub out would nice too, he is keeping his two Velodyne subs.

He will miss his big rig.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Hi George - perhaps something like an older NAD C715 would be just the ticket? I have one that I still use, and it is very nice for what it is. I think that TEAC and someone else had the same model with a slightly different name on it.

-Paul

img.php?100211124017-C715BEE-front.jpg

C 715 Compact Music Systems - NAD Electronics

A good friend retired last month. He is giving up his stereo equipment. He has some 20 year old ARC and Adcom gear. He already gave away his speakers to family. His ARC pre and amp are going to family also.

He wants a small system the plays CD's, has a AM/FM tuner. His wants a high quality desktop system. He has a nephew wanting the LP's and turntable.

We are collecting money for a gift. A nice mini-system is what his wants. He does not use a computer. We have 500.00 now. Hope to have 700 - 800 by his dinner.

Any recommendations for a small system. A sub out would nice too, he is keeping his two Velodyne subs.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have the Marantz CR-M510 and find it great with a pair of B&W 601 ... Marantz do a CR-M610 which is identical with a built in CD drive or if you can find one still the older CR-M603.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I will look. We are having the dinner on the 13th. He needs small speakers too. I am going to swing by Fry's tomorrow.

I have a perfect system for him. The Sharp with the full range wooden cone driver. In fact two of them. But a NIB system is needed. I would catch crap if we collected money and gave him one of my old systems.

He wants to give me his Superphon preamp. I used to have a Rev IIG. Think I purchased it around 1988. His also has a set of Adcom 565 amp and preamp. Not sure why he had an Adcom and ARC set. Only saw the Audio Research gear.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

My perfect used mini system is the JVC EX-A1. Wish I could find something new about the same quality. His desire of CD, AM, & FM is so dated.

My perfect used mini system is the JVC EX-A1. Wish I could find something new about the same quality. His desire of CD, AM, & FM is so dated.

Recent data released shows the source of music that Americans listen to is AM/FM radio by a very large margin, followed by own music sources. Listening to the radio may seem dated and static, but a lot of people still listen to it.

edisonresearch.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Recent data released shows the source of music that Americans listen to is AM/FM radio by a very large margin, followed by own music sources. Listening to the radio may seem dated and static, but a lot of people still listen to it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13436[/ATTACH]

That is using automobiles in the final tally. What would be interesting is how many are listening to radio stations but listening to them over the internet.

David

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13436[/ATTACH]

Hate to admit it, but most of my listening is FM radio, even at home. Got lots of records, too many CD's, 800G redbook, and 2 TB of iso files. Yet still listen to HD radio digital out into my dac about 70% of the time. And in the car it is 100%. Quit damaging CD's in the car a long time ago.

And found what I want for my friend, JVC EX-S1 ME. But it will have to come from Japan, and requires a voltage converter. So still looking. But the S1 ME is sweet, sweet looking.

Ordered a Yamaha MCR-332 from B&H Photo yesterday. The sub output sealed the deal. He has a couple subs to beef up the sound.

The JVC EX-S1 looks like something I want. Found them in Canada. Can anyone source them from Centrehifi.com? I tried calling and email. No response, but looks like they do not ship to the US.

The price is 300 Canadian, so about 250 US.