IGNORED

Music Storage Requriements

How Much Music Storage Space Do You Currently Use?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use storage distributed on several computers. For backup archive used SATA HDD via USB-docstation.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I'm researching a couple really neat music storage options and would like to know how much drive space people require. Please be honest. The poll is anonymous so nobody will know how large your collection is or how little your storage needs may be.

Hi Chris. Do you want backup storage included?

Even with backup I currently use less than 1TB, but I fully expect that to continue to grow significantly. Beyond new downloads, I haven't ripped even 15% of my CDs. I have two 4TB drives that I use as backups for each other, plus cloud backup.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

While I use a 2 disc RAID array on a NAS, I only counted the size of the music library once.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I voted 1-2 TB as the working files for my music library are on a 2TB FireWire raid connected to my desktop computer. It is 2/3 redbook rips and the rest hi-res downloads: 1200+ albums (approx. 900gb, plus room for more). The attached cover art adds another 50gb.

Files are then duplicated to a 7200rpm 1TB FW drive attached to my playback Mac. Another 1TB FW drive is stored in my fire-resistant safe as a safety backup. I maintain a 4th copy on another 1TB drive to be stored off-site, but haven't decided where yet.

Interesting - so of the 60 responses, 60% require over 1TB, with a significant plurality requiring over 4TB. So I would think the answer is clearly "the more, the better" ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

300 MB Redbook

650 MB High Resolution

350 MB DSD

325 MB "Duplicate Album Archive" (I don't delete older versions, I keep them in a curated archive for comparison purposes)

_______

1.625 TB Total "playback" size (current).

Add to that triple redundant backup (two on-site, one rotated off-site). The backup was not included in the 1-2 TB vote cast. I suspect I will be over 2 TB in a year...

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

300 MB Redbook

650 MB High Resolution

350 MB DSD

325 MB "Duplicate Album Archive" (I don't delete older versions, I keep them in a curated archive for comparison purposes)

_______

1.625 TB Total "playback" size (current).

Add to that triple redundant backup (two on-site, one rotated off-site). The backup was not included in the 1-2 TB vote cast. I suspect I will be over 2 TB in a year...

Best,

John

Thanks for the breakdown.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I've got 4.6TB currently, there are duplicates of albums in there (different versions but the same album). So if I kept only one copy of things, I'd probably be right around 3TB I would think.

Most of the space comes from Hi-Res, Vinyl and SACD Rips, which everything is lossless Flac, so I don't compress them down to make them more portable. The other part of the space would be CD Rips which are all (well about 95%) in Flac.