IGNORED

New Hyperion release: Ibragimova/Osborne Prokofiev Violin Sonatas

Hello,

What do you think about this recording recently available on Hyperion label: Prokofiev: Violin Sonatas - CDA67514 - Serge Prokofiev (1891-1953) - Hyperion Records - MP3 and Lossless downloads

034571175140.png

It's available in 24/96 resolution and to me it's quite well played!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Just downloaded the 96/24 and will have a listen tonight. (Good price, too!) I love Prokofiev's orchestral and solo-piano music but am pretty unfamiliar with his chamber stuff. Ibragimova and Osborne are great artists, though, so I'm sure this album will be good.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Just downloaded the 96/24 and will have a listen tonight. (Good price, too!) I love Prokofiev's orchestral and solo-piano music but am pretty unfamiliar with his chamber stuff. Ibragimova and Osborne are great artists, though, so I'm sure this album will be good.

Russell

Give us your thoughts after listening please.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be jumping on this. Ibragimova's Beethoven violin sonatas (with Cedric Thibergien, on Wigmore Hall Live) are excellent.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I really, really enjoyed this. As I mentioned, the music is unfamiliar to me, so I can’t really critique the performances as compared with others, but they sounded good to me. I was especially impressed by the first movement of the first sonata, which was grim and brooding in the manner of late Shostakovich. I also loved the second movement of the second sonata: a lithe and virtuostic presto performed excitingly by Ibragimova and Osborne. Both performers sounded really intense and committed throughout.

Sound quality was very fine and nicely balanced as well, with the violin not right on top of the mic as in some other, similar recordings. As a result, the violin tone was beautifully delicate and sweet. The piano seemed a little closer, with warm and full-bodied tone. This one’s a keeper!

Here’s a mini-review on another site that I frequent:

New hi-rez Prokofiev Violin Sonatas with Pouty Lips - Chris from Lafayette - Music Lane

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I really, really enjoyed this. As I mentioned, the music is unfamiliar to me, so I can’t really critique the performances as compared with others, but they sounded good to me. I was especially impressed by the first movement of the first sonata, which was grim and brooding in the manner of late Shostakovich. I also loved the second movement of the second sonata: a lithe and virtuostic presto performed excitingly by Ibragimova and Osborne. Both performers sounded really intense and committed throughout.

Sound quality was very fine and nicely balanced as well, with the violin not right on top of the mic as in some other, similar recordings. As a result, the violin tone was beautifully delicate and sweet. The piano seemed a little closer, with warm and full-bodied tone. This one’s a keeper!

New hi-rez Prokofiev Violin Sonatas with Pouty Lips - Chris from Lafayette - Music Lane

Russell

Awesome. I've noticed similar rhings and now I think I'm gonna buy it. I like Ibragimova and thi recording seems to be her one of the best at her top of the career.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Russell

Pouty Lips???

Oh, dear.

That aside, I really enjoyed my first listen to this recording. I think that Ibragimova and Osborne do an especially good job at illuminating the humorous touches in the D Major.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

FWIW, I can't disagree strongly enough. I bought this recording after reading this thread.

Bottom line: I wish I could get my money back.

First, a word about the recording itself. It strikes me as terribly unbalanced, with piano overwhelming violin, just drowning it in places. Osborne is a perfectly fine accompanist, but he isn't sufficiently interesting, imo, to carry an album, as he seems to in this instance.

As for Ibragimova...Until this introduction, I'd never heard her play. Now, I've no interest in hearing from her again. She may be hot to look at, but what she offers is A+ conservatory fiddling--technically correct, musically inert--and nothing more.

This is pretty Prokofiev. It's Facebook "like this" Prokofiev. It's Prokofiev refracted through a life unacquainted with suffering, savagery, and shit. It's Prokofiev stripped of pathos and, therefore, wit. It's just a bore.

Compare this recording to those of Stern and Oistrakh and you'll see what I mean.

Or perhaps not. In any event, deleting ol' "Pouty Lips" from my drive. Ugh.

FWIW, I can't disagree strongly enough. I bought this recording after reading this thread.

Bottom line: I wish I could get my money back.

First, a word about the recording itself. It strikes me as terribly unbalanced, with piano overwhelming violin, just drowning it in places. Osborne is a perfectly fine accompanist, but he isn't sufficiently interesting, imo, to carry an album, as he seems to in this instance.

As for Ibragimova...Until this introduction, I'd never heard her play. Now, I've no interest in hearing from her again. She may be hot to look at, but what she offers is A+ conservatory fiddling--technically correct, musically inert--and nothing more.

This is pretty Prokofiev. It's Facebook "like this" Prokofiev. It's Prokofiev refracted through a life unacquainted with suffering, savagery, and shit. It's Prokofiev stripped of pathos and, therefore, wit. It's just a bore.

Compare this recording to those of Stern and Oistrakh and you'll see what I mean.

Or perhaps not. In any event, deleting ol' "Pouty Lips" from my drive. Ugh.

P.S. I'm putting in for a chargeback on my CC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...