IGNORED

Rocks!!! Spiderland (Remastered) by Slint in 96kHz/24bit (HDTracks)

Discovered Slint a few days ago and downloaded Spiderland (Remastered) in 96kHz/24bit from HDTracks. There is not much of Rock in Hi Res out there. This album is an amazing rock album - It is loopy, psychedelic and you can slowly nod your head along with the music. I feel the SQ is good too - kudos to the remastering engineer? I do not see my boys (2 dogs) nervous - If I plug in Adele - Skyfall from HDTracks I am sure they will leave the room and walk up to mom :)

Anyways I do not have a trained ear - just on the outskirts of audiophilia. After your technical analysis of the files you may feel that they are not up to the mark. I would like to hear your opinion on whether extra monies spent on Hi Res for this album was worth it - I would definitely pay much for the content alone - these guys are awesome. It is not about the money - more about figuring out whether I am hi res enthusiast pretender. So I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

For those who have not heard of Slint: If you like Pink Floyd or Led Zep or Tool or Los Natas or Black Sabbath or Nirvana - you will love this particular album - go download it and Enjoy!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Discovered Slint a few days ago and downloaded Spiderland (Remastered) in 96kHz/24bit from HDTracks. ...I feel the SQ is good too - kudos to the remastering engineer?

The sound quality of the original CD and both prior LP pressings is also superb. Credit goes first to the engineer (Brian Paulson) and also to the fact that, unusually for a little-known indie band, they had access to a big commercial studio which gives that big sound (one of the band members had worked there and got the time cheap). They recorded it in a weekend and almost everything is live. And they were into prewar blues albums and hence sought a very sparse, unprocessed sound.

You can hear a very similar sound on Paulson's recording of Seam's Are You Driving Me Crazy? (cd/lp), Polvo's This Eclipse (CD only) and also great sound in his production of Idyll Swords II (cd only), which is mostly instrumental raga-influenced indie rock. In the same vein as Slint, but heavier/more rockin' is Albini's band Shellac, whose debut At Action Park and most recent release, Excellent Italian Greyhound have a similar clear, crisp, unprocessed sound. The latter is available as 24/44 download.