IGNORED

Should anonymous posting be disallowed?

Should anonymous postings be disallowed?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your ISP - they are likely much more interested in you than the NSA is. -Paul

That could very well be wishful thinking, Paul. Since the NSA apparently has been accountable to no one, there is no way of knowing if there is any limit to their information gathering.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

It was in the news today (recently) that in the UK ISPs are taking GCHQ to court...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What's more dangerous, your ISP knowing everything about you, or the NSA?

I think most of us would take our chances with the NSA at least I have nothing to hide. ISPs openly sell user's ENTIRE click stream data to private companies and who knows who those companies are and where around the world they reside.

The Truth Is Out There

Frankly, I'm slightly uncomfortable with either entity having that much information about me. But, since there is really nothing that I can do about it, I just take care about what I post and to whom, and other than that, generally I don't don't fret over it.

George

I just joined here so maybe it isn't right for me to chime in on this issue but I'm going to do it anyway. ;)

It's funny really as I use my real name on political sites and all sites of a serious nature. I stay anonymous on hobby sites, either for the reason that is just how I've always done it or to make sure I don't end up dragging in those other topics on sites such discussion is not welcome.

Naturally when it comes to the political sites it is annoying being surrounded with those who will not put a name to their words, but not everyone has the luxury of free-speech so it is understandable. When it comes to a hobby site that isn't really a factor, but I do think there is something about this hobby where it reveals a lot of intimate details on the person (You can tell a lot about someone by their taste in music) so I can again understand why people would rather remain in the shadows.

Frankly, I'm slightly uncomfortable with either entity having that much information about me. But, since there is really nothing that I can do about it, I just take care about what I post and to whom, and other than that, generally I don't don't fret over it.

You and me both brother- I made an unwise post about good old Mr. Morris, the guy that launched the first internet worm, wayyy back in the 80's. It still comes back to visit me occasionally. (*sigh*)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Welcome - this place often reminds me of a certain fictional bar on Long Island. You never know what will happen, but the same old bunch of good hearted people will definitely show up.

I like the way you think, but audio seems to be at least as passionate as politics. ;)

Paul

I just joined here so maybe it isn't right for me to chime in on this issue but I'm going to do it anyway. ;)

It's funny really as I use my real name on political sites and all sites of a serious nature. I stay anonymous on hobby sites, either for the reason that is just how I've always done it or to make sure I don't end up dragging in those other topics on sites such discussion is not welcome.

Naturally when it comes to the political sites it is annoying being surrounded with those who will not put a name to their words, but not everyone has the luxury of free-speech so it is understandable. When it comes to a hobby site that isn't really a factor, but I do think there is something about this hobby where it reveals a lot of intimate details on the person (You can tell a lot about someone by their taste in music) so I can again understand why people would rather remain in the shadows.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I agree.

All the NSA snooping on an industrial scale was known about for years before Snowden. read Wired Magazine, there are hints that one can extrapolate from. Privacy has been dead for a long time. My ISP's activity will likely have a greater personal impact on me than the NSA's activity.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ok, my name is Jim Smith. Or is it John Cocktoasten? Etc.. etc.. etc.. I'm not sure people would use their real names if it was in fact a requirement, no?

I get the OP logic to a degree and this is an interesting read, but what its trying to solve might actually create more issues in the end.

My rig