IGNORED

Octa rate DSD is here

I am surprised to see that their tech specs take a lot ink to mention sampling rates that look irrelevant for most users (eg DSD512, PCM768) but say nothing about THD, linearity, cross-talk, which are important for every piece of music that goes through the DAC.

What's the aim of it?

File size would be insane for uncompressed DSD sources.

As for upsampling purposes... what's the advantage over DSD256? Further noise pushing from the audible frequency spectrum? Isn't DSD256 or even 128 enough?

I tried JRiver upsampling to DSD128 and mangling with the DSD filters on Mytek doesn't change anything to the sound...

This time it looks like some "marketing ploy"...

I know i should try HQPlayer but the interface is really too complex for my tastes... Miska may I help you with UX design? ;)

As for upsampling purposes... what's the advantage over DSD256? Further noise pushing from the audible frequency spectrum? Isn't DSD256 or even 128 enough?

DSD512 gives theoretically about 32-bit PCM equivalent of dynamic range over audio band and keeps noise below normal DAC's thermal noise limits across 100 kHz bandwidth. Should be enough for most uses... :)

I know i should try HQPlayer but the interface is really too complex for my tastes... Miska may I help you with UX design? ;)

Improvement suggestions are welcome... :)

Have you tried the touch/fullscreen mode? It should be pretty simple and quite nice with touch screens. Doesn't have filter control things and such, but once you have settled with something you don't necessarily need to have it visible all the time.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

DSD512 gives theoretically about 32-bit PCM equivalent of dynamic range over audio band and keeps noise below normal DAC's thermal noise limits across 100 kHz bandwidth. Should be enough for most uses... :)

Yes, theoretically it is better. No one will be able to hear anything different IMO.

Improvement suggestions are welcome... :)

Have you tried the touch/fullscreen mode? It should be pretty simple and quite nice with touch screens. Doesn't have filter control things and such, but once you have settled with something you don't necessarily need to have it visible all the time.

I've tried it.

Let's just say there's a lot of room for improvement. But that is a whole different story :)

OTW#1: Audio has a new order...the micro iDSD

Octa-Speed DSD512 + 768kHz

Over the last few weeks we kept you guessing OTW#1 but along the way, gave some clues:

i. 3 Donuts

ii. Mention of “Damp squid”

iii. Picture of Godzilla and wrestling with Gezora

The ANSWER was that the micro iDSD is capable of OCTA-SPEED DSD512 and not only that but also PCM768kHz and 2xDXD (it is mega on all 3 formats)

Capable of full DSD512 and 768kHz PCM (2xDXD) directly from the computer to the micro iDSD via USB, natively with NO conversion - we have had to bite our lip as we have been absolutely gagging to tell you but had to keep refraining from letting anything slip.

By comparison, even the most expensive DACs in the world costing upwards of US$50,000, are a little “old hat” as they are several format levels behind only now, attaining:

DSD128 (one or two at DSD 256)

PCM384kHz

The iFi micro iDSD feature set means it has blasted light years ahead to bring true high-end technology to the mass market.

To summarise the micro iDSD’s Outta This World features:

Outta This World #1 Octa-Speed DSD512/PCM768/2xDXD

Outta This World #2 Perfect-Match with Headphone Power modes and iEMatch

Outta This World #3 Turbo headamp power output of 8v/4000mW

The micro iDSD is available in stores mid-July so you are only ~two weeks from having the Micro iDSD in the palm of your hand.

Cont'd

iDSD micro Crowd-Design. OTW#1. Audio has a new order!!! Did you guess correctly? (page 71) - Page 71

What's the aim of it?

File size would be insane for uncompressed DSD sources.

I tried JRiver upsampling to DSD128 and mangling with the DSD filters on Mytek doesn't change anything to the sound...

This time it looks like some "marketing ploy"...

For native rate playback...

What you say? There is no material at these high rates?

I guess they will have to come out with appropriate ADCs then...LoL

For the upsampling sub-culture, this will be a perfect toy and costing ony $500 plus tax in the US, while including the most versatile Headamp, a built in iPurifier and all those battery mode options, it really is a screaming bargain!

An interesting bit of information from iFi's announcement:

"[...] we have it on good authority that Pyramix and Sonoma which are already on the Quad-Speed DSD256 standard will see a revision in 3Q 2014 to enable their recording systems to handle Octa-SpeedDSD512."

Though, I must admit I'm kind of skeptical about it, since Sonoma can't do Quad-speed DSD at the moment as they seem to suggest.

For native rate playback...

What you say? There is no material at these high rates?

I guess they will have to come out with appropriate ADCs then...LoL

I've heard that Mytek is working on a DSD256 ADC, but it's unlikely it will be a discrete design A/D.

By comparison, even the most expensive DACs in the world costing upwards of US$50,000, are a little “old hat” as they are several format levels behind only now, attaining:

DSD128 (one or two at DSD 256)

PCM384kHz

I like iFi as a company, and own their Nano iDSD. I may even fork out for the Micro iDSD when it's available. But come on, this really is pure marketing BS... and plain wrong! I've been streaming PCM768KHz to my Phasure NOS1(a) for over two years now.

Marketing BS and mistakes aside, iFi products are incredible at their price points.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Should be out in July

Micro – iDSD

Match made in heaven for HQ Player?

I am still going to buy one, but - honestly - it is going to be that much of an improvement over the iDSD Nano? I am not so sure now, same DAC, a little better power, much higher sample rates.

What do you guys think? Also, still not available to preorder on Music Direct.

I also wonder if it may be an argument to use XXHighEnd, and if all those dials will now have a use again... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am still going to buy one, but - honestly - it is going to be that much of an improvement over the iDSD Nano? I am not so sure now, same DAC, a little better power, much higher sample rates.

They *have* to give you a reason to buy the product or upgrade. :)

There might be other (better) reasons to upgrade, but higher sampling reates catch the attention of us audiophiles much more quickly than other more meaningful features.

I also wonder if it may be an argument to use XXHighEnd, and if all those dials will now have a use again... :)

-Paul

Paul, there are a few things I'm interested in:

• Much higher power for headphones (130mW vs 2,000mW at 32 Ohms). I have everything from IEMs to HE-500, so the higher power (and adjustability for IEMs, etc.) will be great
  • iPurifier technology built-in - no need for external USB "decrappifier"
  • Selectable filters for both PCM and DSD, including "bit perfect" filter that minimizes both pre / post ringing (allegedly)
  • Charging port for portable devices (e.g., iPhone)
  • Direct connect to iPhone via Apple's own Lightning adapter
  • "3D" / XBass - extras I may or may not use ;)
  • Higher rates for when I "need" them ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I like iFi as a company, and own their Nano iDSD. I may even fork out for the Micro iDSD when it's available. But come on, this really is pure marketing BS... and plain wrong! I've been streaming PCM768KHz to my Phasure NOS1(a) for over two years now.

Marketing BS and mistakes aside, iFi products are incredible at their price points.

Mani.

But Mani, Phasure is NOT one of the most expensive Dacs and its does not do DSD...so technically, they are correct. LoL

-Paul

Better HP amp, MORE user selectable filters, Higher rates for HQP upsamplers, better battery, turbo mode, iPurifier built in? Hell yeah its better, but do YOU need it in your case?

Better HP amp, MORE user selectable filters, Higher rates for HQP upsamplers, better battery, turbo mode, iPurifier built in? Hell yeah its better, but do YOU need it in your case?

LOL! That is the question isn't it? I guess I am a little nervous. The iDSD Nano is, in my opinion, a game changer product. It opened up real high-end sound to an enormous audience, and even does a spectacular job in a home system. And given it's price, that becomes nothing short of awe inspiring.

Will the Micro be that much of an advancement- in sound and usability, or will all the extras kind of just spoil the greatness in the Nano?

Only way to tell is to buy one and put it in a system. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My understanding is that Mola Mola's designer has a DAC architecture for DSD that can go beyond even that (DSD512). Technology has a way of marching on.... :)

Where did you get this information?

This is the statement from their homepage:

Supported formats

PCM up to 384 kHz /32 bits (>192 kHz and >24 bits only via USB)

DSD up to quad speed (DDSD and up only via USB)

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

LOL! That is the question isn't it? I guess I am a little nervous. The iDSD Nano is, in my opinion, a game changer product. It opened up real high-end sound to an enormous audience, and even does a spectacular job in a home system. And given it's price, that becomes nothing short of awe inspiring.

Will the Micro be that much of an advancement- in sound and usability, or will all the extras kind of just spoil the greatness in the Nano?

Only way to tell is to buy one and put it in a system. :)

-Paul

PCM apparently is way better on the Micro. Wink, wink:-)