IGNORED

How safe are YOUR USB chargers ?

Yikes!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Although this incident happened a little while back, it made this evening's TV news in Sydney. There was a warning that the same dangerous chargers are readily available on the Internet too.

I imagine that there are similar unsafe versions that sold for around $6 here, also available for the larger U.S.A. market.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I once had a serious issue with the original USB charger provided by Apple with my iPad. It generated a big spark when I plugged it; the charger half burned; and it killed the power line to the wall socket. I was very pleased that I got away with it without any injuries.

Even Apple have problems sometimes ... recent EU adaptors were subject to a recall.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Third party chargers can also damage your iPhone 5, burning out the U2 IC chip:

Unauthorized Third-Party Chargers May Damage iPhone 5 Charging Circuitry - Mac Rumors

Electrocutions have occurred in the past, such as the one in 2013 in China:

Apple Pledges Investigation After Chinese Woman Reportedly Electrocuted Using a Charging iPhone 5 - Mac Rumors

This resulted in a "Takeback Program" by Apple:

Apple Launches Third-Party USB Charger 'Takeback Program' - Mac Rumors

Nobody actually expects they will be the one to get electrocuted or have the iPhone destroyed by a faulty charger. In fact, "giveaway" chargers are becoming common at conferences, etc because they are popular swag.

Here is one I received while at a work training recently that looks "identical" to a genuine Apple charger...but it isn't:

photo 2-1.JPG

Why wouldn't anyone use it? Yet it may damage their phone or electrocute them according to Apple. I am tempted to drop it in my suitcase as a backup when I travel...sometimes it is nice to have an extra USB charger, yet I know I shouldn't....

Best,

John

photo 1-1.JPG

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Bolse USB charger and only read the news about people being hurt by them recently. Each port has "Over-voltage, over-current, and short-circuit protection", and this guy had a review that said it was reliable

Still, the recent news does make me a little uneasy about usb's for sure.