IGNORED

RAMdisk a good move?

I have played around with a program "RAMdisk" to get used to it, and now is the time to try it on my music laptop.

I have a SSD for Windows 7 and storing music and shall now test creating a ramdisc and move some music files to it and play from it using JRiver. Normally I use "play from memory" in JRiver but when using a ramdisc I think it should not be needed since the ramdisc is in memory already. I have turned off a lot of processes in Windows and also the CPU fan which only turns on when it gets too hot, also I turn off the LCD when playing to minimize power cosumption and I play with battery pack only since it really sounds better. I am a little hopefull I will hear a slight improvement, what do you think?

I have played around with a program "RAMdisk" to get used to it, and now is the time to try it on my music laptop.

I have a SSD for Windows 7 and storing music and shall now test creating a ramdisc and move some music files to it and play from it using JRiver. Normally I use "play from memory" in JRiver but when using a ramdisc I think it should not be needed since the ramdisc is in memory already. I have turned off a lot of processes in Windows and also the CPU fan which only turns on when it gets too hot, also I turn off the LCD when playing to minimize power cosumption and I play with battery pack only since it really sounds better. I am a little hopefull I will hear a slight improvement, what do you think?

A couple of thoughts: - Try both "play from memory" and without, and though it wouldn't make sense for it to make a difference, see if you think there is one anyway. - If you have the patience and sense of adventure for it, try XXHighEnd with the RAMdisk designated as your "Playback" drive (but with your music files elsewhere - XXHighEnd automatically moves each file to the RAMdisk for playback, then erases it so the next song can be moved there).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So what's the difference between RAMdisk and Playing from ram?

The only thing I could see is that RAMdisk may use a designated part of ram whereas playing from ram is not designated, it's random, set by the memory controller.

If I am correct, the difference is that you do not need an active device to play from (like a SSD, HDD or SD card) to place the data in RAM, it is placed there directly and while playing only the RAM is active.

So what's the difference between RAMdisk and Playing from ram?

The only thing I could see is that RAMdisk may use a designated part of ram whereas playing from ram is not.

If I am correct, the difference is that you do not need an active device to play from (like a SSD, HDD or SD card) to place the data in RAM, it is placed there directly and while playing only the RAM is active.

So your difference is not having extra devices running at the same time ie SSD, HDD etc.

If you turned off virtual memory and just ran from SSD (or SD-card etc) and/or ie (every loaded to ram), would it make a difference?

My dac manufacturer adviced me to use "play from memory" in JRiver and I think I once compared with it on and off and it was a small improvement using it so I did. I will try on/off playing from RAMdisk also like Jud suggested.

Something good happened....

Don't leave us wondering.... :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A bit early to say, but if I have to say something (and I do not give 100% reliability yet) it seem cleaner, bass is a little more defined and powerful, voices cleaner with less "shouting effect" as I call it, they are better controlled and more natural in attac. Also I think dynamics and live feeling is a little better. I played ABBA "Arrival" album and it was so full of energy and voices cleaner, more organic overall, it was impressive and fun to listen. Classical music sounds cleaner with a little more detail and dynamics, nice. I have only tried playing directly from RAMdisk, I will try "play from memory" when I think I have got used to what I use now. Dac is ma 1 from Meitner via USB Nordost Heimdall 2.

I have tested and found out that the best sound comes with the internal SSD and "play from memory" unchecked in JRiver.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Are you saying that:

A. Storing the OS and music on the SSD and playing as usual, without "play from memory" is best.

B. Setting up a RAMdisk on the SSD and playing music from there, without "play from memory" is best.

C. Storing music and/or your OS on an HDD, copying music to the internal SSD, and playing from there without "play from memory" is best.

- Which one?

I've thought about giving this a try, setting up a RAMdisk on an internal SSD, but I've never gotten around to it. I also haven't seen much other talk about it besides SuperDad's posts.

Looking forward to your detailed response :-D

In my case your "A" option was best. But I will try some more when I get a better preamp, when i got the "A" conclusion I was borrowing a superb preamp from a friend and it was easier to decide what was best for me. I am hoping to upgrade soon but I have to get the money first, sigh.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Are you saying that:

A. Storing the OS and music on the SSD and playing as usual, without "play from memory" is best.

B. Setting up a RAMdisk on the SSD and playing music from there, without "play from memory" is best.

C. Storing music and/or your OS on an HDD, copying music to the internal SSD, and playing from there without "play from memory" is best.

- Which one?

I've thought about giving this a try, setting up a RAMdisk on an internal SSD, but I've never gotten around to it. I also haven't seen much other talk about it besides SuperDad's posts.

Looking forward to your detailed response :-D

B, by the way, is impossible - if it's on a drive, either SSD or HDD, then by definition it is not a RAMdisk. RAMdisks are always system RAM reserved for the purpose of acting like a disk. They differ from SSDs even though both are physically comprised of memory chips, because access to system RAM is faster than access to SSDs (at least on current system configurations).

• 4 weeks later...

I bypass all physical connection by file sharing + internet sharing from my iMac to my MacBook pro which also has Audirvana with Wi-Fi. Works well with everything, even DSD files.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels