IGNORED

Dirac Live + Matrix Up-mixes (DTS Neo:X, Dolby IIz, etc.)

Any thoughts on combining Dirac Live with matrix up-mixers, like DTS Neo:X, Dolby IIz, etc?

So far, I'm getting much better results with Dirac Live than Audyssey XT32 for 7.1, but when I use matrix up-mixers in my pre-pro, XT32 sounds better than Dirac Live. With Dirac, the detail washes out once I enable those up-mixers, similar to turning Dirac off.

Perhaps this is because Audyssey corrects the additional channels, while Dirac Live only corrects 7.1.

It just occurred to me that I haven't tried taking my Dirac measurements with Neo:X enabled. Is that a reasonable approach? I guess I could create separate filters for direct multi-channel, Neo:X, and Dolby IIz to compare. I've had even less luck with Audyssey DSX, but but it might also be worth a try.

Or do I really need to have individual room correction on each up-mixed channel?

Hello Robert, this is what Viktor had to say:

"Since Dirac applies correction on each individual physical speaker, it is a problem if there is an upmixing algorithm between Dirac and the speakers.

That kind of algorithm must be turned off, and it will not work well to leave it on during measurements either

Any upmixing algorithms need to be applied before the Dirac processing, e.g. in the media player"

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hello Robert, this is what Viktor had to say:

"Since Dirac applies correction on each individual physical speaker, it is a problem if there is an upmixing algorithm between Dirac and the speakers.

That kind of algorithm must be turned off, and it will not work well to leave it on during measurements either

Any upmixing algorithms need to be applied before the Dirac processing, e.g. in the media player"

Flavio

Thanks for the answer!

Hopefully, the home theater version of Dirac Live will add some channels once we have HTPC based Atmos. I'm sure that many of the home theater Dirac Live customers and future customers will care about Atmos support.