IGNORED

Article: A Visit To Linn And Glasgow, Scotland

Well I thought you had good taste until you mentioned Irn-Bru. Didn't you try a deep fried Mars bar?

Anyway a shame you couldn't explore Scotland beyond Glasgow.

(Sorry all nothing to do with Linn).

Did you get to any of the other UK HiFi industries while you were over here?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Also very interested in your review of Exact and the Akurate level is a bit less stratosferic thank Klimax, so it might appeal to more people. Good choice.

I personally feel that Exact goes well beyond what Devialet is doing with ASM...

Let's wait for your review...

Maybe its just me, but there seems to be a dearth of CA equipment reviews as of late. Rut ro....I feel a post coming from Chris stating that my membership fee can be refunded if I am not happy with the site....:-).

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

The Exakt system is pretty cool. If the DS was connected wirelessly to the speakers and had a USB input for an external drive, it would be perfect. Well, except for the pricing.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

The Exakt system is pretty cool. If the DS was connected wirelessly to the speakers and had a USB input for an external drive, it would be perfect. Well, except for the pricing.

Why is everyone hung up on direct USB connections... All it means is the renderer (player) has to do file management duties as well as playing the music. A well set up UPnP server is much better idea (if you are avoiding utilising a computer).

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Why is everyone hung up on direct USB connections... All it means is the renderer (player) has to do file management duties as well as playing the music. A well set up UPnP server is much better idea (if you are avoiding utilising a computer).

Eloise

Minimalism. I do not want a pc, vortex box, UPNP server, an NAS, or anything similar to have to be active to play music. I want to plug in a USB drive, my turntable, BR/SACD player (for my two SACDs :-)) , and my TV sound and use a tablet/phone to control.

Is it the best way? Probably not. But with the music files being digital all the way to the speaker, how much can the file be mucked up? Of course, with the turntable....hmmmm.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Minimalism. I do not want a pc, vortex box, UPNP server, an NAS, or anything similar to have to be active to play music. I want to plug in a USB drive, my turntable, BR/SACD player (for my two SACDs :-)) , and my TV sound and use a tablet/phone to control.

Is it the best way? Probably not. But with the music files being digital all the way to the speaker, how much can the file be mucked up? Of course, with the turntable....hmmmm.

It's not a matter of being "mucked up" by a specific connection method. It's a matter of usability and practicality. Many people think a solution that is easier to understand or involves a "simple" USB drive is the best. This is not the case is many instances. Your idea of minimalism if a bit shortsighted because it's minimal with respect to hardware, but the opposite when it comes to usability, practicality, and the time you will spend to keep such a system functioning.

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS, how are you going to add new music to the drive? Unplug it, walk it over to a computer, add music, walk it back to the Linn DS, reindex the library, etc...

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS, would you keep a manually backed up copy of the music on another drive? Then you're adding new music to two drives.

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS this music isn't available to any other systems like it would be if you use a NAS.

There are several items that could be brought up along these lines.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The major problem with this Exakt approach is it binds the audiophile to the "Linn way" of Digital to analog conversion...

And right now they are very much anti DSD...

DAC separates can't be used right?

Therefore a very expensive upgrade is required if Linn ever embraces DSD or multichannel DACs...???

How do you use this setup in the daily rough and tumble of life with say a Home theatre receiver? Can you use a preamp with HT bypass? And which preamp! ??

Can someone please tell me if there is upgrade potential later on with this gear?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The major problem with this Exakt approach is it binds the audiophile to the "Linn way" of Digital to analog conversion...

Therefore a very expensive upgrade is required if Linn ever embraces DSD or multichannel DACs...???

How do you use this setup in the daily rough and tumble of life with say a Home theatre receiver? Can you use a preamp with HT bypass? And which preamp! ??

Can someone please tell me if there is upgrade potential later on with this gear?

The DS and the speakers are software upgradable.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It's not a matter of being "mucked up" by a specific connection method. It's a matter of usability and practicality. Many people think a solution that is easier to understand or involves a "simple" USB drive is the best. This is not the case is many instances. Your idea of minimalism if a bit shortsighted because it's minimal with respect to hardware, but the opposite when it comes to usability, practicality, and the time you will spend to keep such a system functioning.

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS, how are you going to add new music to the drive? Unplug it, walk it over to a computer, add music, walk it back to the Linn DS, reindex the library, etc...

Sure. Most of the music I am buying these days is vinyl. Not all but 80% or so. Reindexing on the SBT is the major drawback. Hopefully Linn would be smarter about the activity. Ideally, since the DS is on the network anyway, the HD would just show on the network for updatiing. I am not opposed to using a PC, just the reliance of having one operating to play music files. An NAS is not unreasonable and is the next best method (for me).

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS, would you keep a manually backed up copy of the music on another drive? Then you're adding new music to two drives.

Sure. Don't you have other backups? Or are you completely reliant on the NAS? I read your Cloud article so that could be an option but not one I am willing to pay. When will Google Drive have 2TB free? (rhetorical).

If you connect a USB drive directly to a Linn DS this music isn't available to any other systems like it would be if you use a NAS.

There are several items that could be brought up along these lines.

I know.

I have been reading the forums voraciously for a couple of years and looking for MY perfect solution for even longer. The SBT is pretty great for the price but has limitations. It occasionally whigs out and I have learned to get it back pretty easily. The Aries looks interesting but its 3-5 times the SBT new price. What I want does not currently exist in the quality that I want. Naim Uniti is close. If Linn had $5K Exakt system I would be all over it as it currently works. But they do not. So I keep dreaming. In the meantime, I am perfectly happy with my current Linn/Rega system (although I might do something about the NuForce DAC).

Linn have upgraded the "standard" Klimax and Akurate DSM units now so that you can (for example) use the DSM with third party active speakers now and upgrade to the Exakt speakers later.

No they don't support DSD - I think that's a decision they will stick with.

An upgrade would be the replacement of the DSM unit which would then continue to work with the existing Exakt speakers. Linn have been good in upgrading the DS units as newer versions have come along so I imagine in the future they will be too.

The DSM units can accept analogue inputs which can be set for HT bypass (certainly the Akurate DS can). Alternatively the HDMI inputs can strip the front two channels for decoding within the Linn system and pass the center and surround to a third-party decoder.

Eloise

Eloise

---

The DS and the speakers are software upgradable.

Great. Sorry. I missed that.. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Isn't this what Meridian have been doing for years?

Yes. At least mostly.

I may have missed something - but I don't think Linn are claiming the Exact system is any more revolutionary than Apple claimed the iPod was... :-)

Eloise

---

Chris,

Always loved these guys. Met the team when I was in college at my first AES show in NYC. Also thanks for the pics of some of their older speaker models. Those KEF drivers bring back memories of college, the B110 mid bass (used in the LS3/5A), B139 bass drivers were to die for. I made transmission line speakers using the B139 in college.

Hey come out to Ohio and we will show you the pick and place lines we have out here. They just updated paste optical scanners to make sure the paste does not move off the pads and cause errors. Also each PCB is optical checked and it's pretty cool how we can still make stuff here at the same prices as moving them to the far east.

Thanks,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Glasgow way back in the 70's. As a kid I loved Irn-Bru! One of my first auditions of a good system was an all Linn system in Glasgow. I do rememeber being blown away at how good audio reproduction could sound from that listen.

Minimalism. I do not want a pc.

... Most of the music I am buying these days is vinyl. Not all but 80% or so.

I don't mean to be difficult, but the name of the website is after all Computer Audiophile. Your criteria may therefore be at odds.