IGNORED

Has anyone had a chance to listen to or read much about the Rockna Wavedream DAC?

Rockna replied to me:

[quote]

both I2S and USB are fine. With I2S, you can eventually expect not-perfect-compatibility with the source, but a bit more relaxed and live sound.
I cannot comment on particular products and brands other than ours. A DDC usually does a good job, especially if is with isolation. I advise you to try it.
The Wavedream is designed in such way that input clock influence is minimal. But, there is no such thing as perfection, the better input clock is, best results you have, but this is for you to judge, as environment, ears, rest of the system are different for any of us.

[/quote]

I have the i2s card... so i just ordered the pink faun USB bridge too.. and the "cheaper" (HA!) clock

I'll have both to play with. Also the cost of the USB with the clock is cheaper than what i would have spent on a i2s cable.

(and i already have the audioquest diamond USB cable.)

now.. external power. I think i might start with the new iFi power for the cards:

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iPower-Elite-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08S5MBFDK/

but no rush on that.. Rockna's order/shipping times are ... a pain in the butt.

(When i order from Pink Faun it comes in 1-2 days - I'm in the US and both of them are in Europe. Yes, Romania is different than the Netherlands. But 1-2 days compared to a month+ ... )

haha.. i still don't have it yet .. maybe it will be 6 weeks. That said, the dealer (maybe to make a deal) said 3-4 weeks. In the meantime i keep spending money. ugh.

but the weather is getting nice. I have my shots. Roses should be blooming soon.. 

Sorry about not getting back sooner...I was out with my family the day these were coming through and it slipped my mind to pop back in.  

The thing that makes the I2S connection work so well with the Wavedream NET server is that it leads to virtually flawless synchronization of the clocks.  If you aren't using a Wavedream DAC and NET Server, I2S will not deliver the same benefit.  Easy enough then connect via USB and select whichever clock is better, DAC or Server/Renderer. 

I have the Roon Nucleus+ and the Antipodes K50 attached to my network at the moment and did a little testing.  The most noticeable change in terms of sound is the clock.  With the Nucleus+, the DAC clock sounds MUCH better.  With the Antipodes K50, the Antipodes Clock sounds better though the difference is not as dramatic.  When I had the Antipodes K40 attached, DAC Clock was superior.  You get the point.  This had a bigger impact than any of the filters.  

• 2 weeks later...

@ds2k Nice! I'm sure it will sound amazing!

Why did you go with the Wavedream net vs the wavelight server. It is my understanding they are pretty much the same sans the optical drive. Of course, if an optical drive is what you use, then that is perfect :)

What are you feeding your DAC now?

@Zurv I really really want Wavelight server because I don't have any CDs. But the Wavelight server had been delayed 1+ year and my local Rockna dealer said he has no date for its available. That's why I get the Wavedream NET.

Currently I feed my DAC with NUC fanless + SOtM sPS-500 output to USB, to IFI iUSB3.0 + Uptone LPS-1.2 then to DAC USB input. USB cable is Ansuz D2.

2 minutes ago, VerdantAudio said:

As a dealer, I don't have specs at this time on the Wavelight server other than you can attach up to 8TB of memory.  I would not assume it is the same as the Wavedream NET minus the drive.  

Wavelight server might have newer PC parts. Sure they have much more differences. That might be the reason it takes long time to develop Wavelight server and make it available.

Any one play around with changing the fuses in the Rocka? 

IMO this is a extra level of crazy (higher than cables).. but it would be interesting to hear others feed back. :)

The wavedream has a 5x20mm fuse, but i'm not clear on the amps 

10 minutes ago, Zurv said:

i did ask. They only told me the size. 

Then you can go ahead. Me I put 8A Orange fuse in DAC, 10A Orange fuse in Amp, 10A Orange fuses in REL subs. For Wavedream NET I will put 8A Orange :D

I only experience SR fuses. Red, Black, Blue, Orange. To me Orange sounds best. 

28 minutes ago, Zurv said:

i did ask. They only told me the size. 

I have SR orange in both wavedream dac and NET. They are 3.15 A slow blow both, as per what rockna told me. I think you can also read the value on stock fuse metal cap, it tiny but the value should be there.

I certainly don't recommend an 8A or 10A! If anything goes south, your fuse won't blow before the the precious internals get fried.

On a dac/ streamer, you don't need to even increase the amps value slightly. On an amplifier, a little of an increase is fine. But my experience is they keep blowing on amps. So I don't use Audiophile fuses there ))

39 minutes ago, Saleh84 said:

On rockna wavedream, you set the volume to max, that's 0db. This is the full output (no pre), no button on sitting just keep the volume at max.

That’s true. 

My Signature XLR DAC has output voltage 20V, a bit hot for my amp. That is why I keep the DAC volume at -6. 

23 hours ago, Zurv said:

It is a shame they didn't upgrade the dream to use the same pre as the wavelight. The wavelight's pre is analog, but the wavedream's is in the digital domain.

better.. would be to just not have a pre-amp at all. 

I would not worry about digital volume. It sounds good :)