IGNORED

SRC and filtering MacOS software options

semente

Hi,

This is my first post here.

I am about to order a custom-made D/AC from a friend; this D/AC has no upsampling/oversampling or filtering and it requires a playback software that is able to perform both tasks.

He suggested that I install Windows on my MBP and use Foobar (with plug-ins) for playback but I would rather not.

Are there any MacOS software alternatives to Windows/Foobar?

Thanks,

Ric

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Welcome to the forum! I'm expecting others with more software experience will chime in here. My main experience is with Audirvana, which has a very good filter set (Izotope) built in. I'm pretty sure this stops at 384. The filter settings work wonders. There is a free trial, and much information in this forum about set up parameters, so you should certainly try it out. If desired, it integrates very well with iTunes, but many prefer it in stand alone mode.

HQPlayer for OSX is exactly what you looking for, is still in beta but version 3.4 will be out anytime from now.

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

HQPlayer for OSX is exactly what you looking for, is still in beta but version 3.4 will be out anytime from now.

HQPlayer for OSX requires two computers, one running the player, plus one (or a suitable Linux running device) set up as an NAA (Network Audio Adapter) running a Linux variant.

Honestly, for someone getting started in computer audio--and even for us mavens--Audirvana+ is a fantastic way to go. Ric, when you get your DAC, drop me a private message and I'll tell you some great Audirvana settings to get you started. Will save you a lot of time reading through the long and sometimes confusing iZotope SRC thread.

Again, as pooger said, welcome to CA!

--Alex C.

The 3.4 in question doesn't... :)

Earlier versions did.

Saw that thread just after I posted above. I am SO excited! Thank you Jussi.

--Alex C.

P.S. Do you have any early thoughts on how your OSX version compares to the Windows version? Did you find a way to bypass much of Core Audio? From my experience with Audirvana, a lot of good SQ came from Damien making a more clear path between his app and the low level USB drivers. Not that I know what any of that looks like or what it took.

I am SO excited! Thank you Jussi.

Do you have any early thoughts on how your OSX version compares to the Windows version?

+1

Jussi,

what do you think about ASIO for OSX?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Having finished ripping my CDs about a month ago I have goten quite used to itunes by now so I will install demo versions of both and see which GUI layout best suits me.

I have split my music collection into 6 different (itunes) libraries, I hope this won't be a problem.

-

Alex,

The custom D/AC is not yet being produced but I will certainly take your offer as soon as I get my hands on it.

For the time being I'm stuck with a Behringer 222 and a pair of loaned standmounts (I'm moving abroad next August, hence the CD ripping).

Best,

Ric

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

HQPlayer for OSX requires two computers, one running the player, plus one (or a suitable Linux running device) set up as an NAA (Network Audio Adapter) running a Linux variant.

--Alex C.

Not anymore

http://www2.signalyst.com/.../HQPlayerDesktop3-mac...

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.