IGNORED

Pioneer N50/N30 AIFF Issues

Bonsoir Patatorz and Carcajou

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, to download the sample test AIFF files from Qobuz and compare them, using a hex editor, with AIFF files that I have that I know work with the Pioneer network audio player.

As you are probably aware by now, the data contained by the AIFF files are divided into sections known as chunks. True AIFF files must contain two chunks in particular, 'COMM' (contains basic audio stream info) and 'SSND' (contains the actual uncompressed audio sound data).

There can also be any number of optional chunks, such as 'ID3 ' (contains music category tags and art image/picture).

The normal order for these chunks is COMM, SSND, followed by the optional chunks. Qobuz for some reason have done their own thing and put the optional chunks first, which causes the unresponsive problem with the Pioneer.

However, after a bit of research, I found that the AIFF specification says that it shouldn't matter what order they are in, so the fault is strictly with Pioneer and this also explains why some other players are ok with the Qobuz AIFF files.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Would it be possible for you to also ask them why they are being so unconventional with their AIFF files (though not strictly incorrect) in the chunk order?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry again for being so tardy in reply. I updated the N30 with the new firmware and am getting the same results. Cebolla, I meandered my way through Mediainfo for comparison of the files (compared the original Zepp album that doesn't play with Zepp II that does). Only difference I could tell was file size and length, although I will confess I'm not an expert. My guess at this point is that it's strictly something with Pioneer that will hopefully be fixed with an upcoming firmware update...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update. Pioneer has been taking a look at this and just got back to me. The issue was with the file size on the metadata album art. All three albums artwork was 2400x2400 and the limit for pioneer was 800x800. Tested all three after resizing the artwork to 600x600 and all play perfectly.

Hope this helps (and thanks for all of your help).