IGNORED

I Don't need a receiver!

I recently built a PC (Win7) from which I run 7.1ch audio with the Prodigy X-Fi NRG sound card. I love it, and I've been able to discern lyrics I couldn't before. Alas, woe to this newbie; I cannot run Dolby into the digital optical port. The SPDIF-input only accepts stereo.

After reading and searching until I want to punch my own face, I've finally started emailing manufacturers, and decided to join this community.

What I'm looking for is a PCI-E sound card that has 7.1 output, and 5.1 channel input via digital optical. I don't know too much about Dolby signals, but I do know the signal is coming from XBOX 360 and XBOX One.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

You might have better luck on AVSforums, as the focus here is primarily on two-channel audio.

I use optical from my Mac Mini to my Marantz receiver, and it does Dolby 5.1. I am pretty sure that is a compressed audio format like you get with movies purchased via the iTunes store.

If you can add an HDMI interface to your PC, it might make things more flexible. I'm completely out of my knowledge comfort zone on this.

I've never had any luck in finding a sound card which accepts Dolby Digital input.

You really are going to have to look at a receiver or stand alone processor.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

There's a card called the Auzen X-Meridian that accepts Dolby 5.1 and processes it into 7.1. Amazon has sold it in the past, although it shows as unavailable right now. If you can find one, it seems to be what you want.

I didn't realise the X-Meridian would decode DD from an external source.

Sadly Auzentech no longer exist as a company. You may find some new-old stock on eBay or even secondhand. The second problem is that the X-Meridian is a PCI rather than PCIe card.

This thread -- http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348192 -- on another board sums it up well. Some old cards will do it (such as the X-Meridian) but nothing modern.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.