IGNORED

Article: High Resolution Audio Isn't Coming Soon From Apple

Chris,

Here's something that negates your opinion that the mobile carriers are against high-resolution streaming:

T-Mobile gives Subscribers Free Music Streaming for iTunes Radio, More - The Mac Observer

T-Mobile is offering to its clients to not count the data they use when streaming music. My guess is that this will become a common loss-leader for mobile phone operators. Given that only a tiny handful of people would ever want to stream high-res music, it's clear that it's not going to bother carriers.

Kirk

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Chris,

Here's something that negates your opinion that the mobile carriers are against high-resolution streaming:

T-Mobile gives Subscribers Free Music Streaming for iTunes Radio, More - The Mac Observer

T-Mobile is offering to its clients to not count the data they use when streaming music. My guess is that this will become a common loss-leader for mobile phone operators. Given that only a tiny handful of people would ever want to stream high-res music, it's clear that it's not going to bother carriers.

Kirk

T-Mobile will do almost anything to get customers now. It's has been close to death and acquisition many times including right now with sprint.

Doesnt sway my opinion :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

Even with Sprint's alliance with HDtracks, it doesn't appear that they are allowing customers to download hi-res tracks directly to their phones.

To access the sampler, users simply download the music to their computer, plug in their USB cord and drag-and-drop the high-definition music onto their device.

HDtracks Joins With Sprint to Offer an Eight-song Music Download in Pristine, High-resolution Sound Quality | Sprint Newsroom

Hi Chris,

Even with Sprint's alliance with HDtracks, it doesn't appear that they are allowing customers to download hi-res tracks directly to their phones.

HDtracks Joins With Sprint to Offer an Eight-song Music Download in Pristine, High-resolution Sound Quality | Sprint Newsroom

Thanks for the info.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It's not streaming, but I think (stress think because I haven't figured it out yet) that, using the AK240 connected to an iPhone as a wifi hotspot, I can buy hires music from the HDTracks store.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

The thought of a "new" iPod is an intriguing prospect. Make it cool, able to play 24 bit music, herald it as the latest in portable music listening, pair it with Beats headphones, give it wifi so you could purchase right to it. At the same time refresh the iTunes Store with 24 bit music and make a real splash with commercials, ads, etc. aimed at a young audience. The iPod, along with iTunes, turned Apple around. Making it into a big deal with both new hardware AND better sounding music would reintroduce Apple as the coolest kids in the class again. What are the latest iPods capicity, 160GB? That is a lot of high res files. The iPod still has a page on Apple's website all by it's lonesome making me believe it's not dead yet.

This would be a logical extension of the Beats purchase, along with observing the rest of the industry over the past couple of years. Reinvent iTunes / iPod.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

This would be a logical extension of the Beats purchase, along with observing the rest of the industry over the past couple of years. Reinvent iTunes / iPod.

The iPod is done. People used to use them everywhere. I haven't seen one in the wild for a couple years. It's all about iPhone and iPad now.

The iPod is done. People used to use them everywhere. I haven't seen one in the wild for a couple years. It's all about iPhone and iPad now.

Or put the same tech in the iPhone - I'd prefer that.

But I'll point out in my own extended family, *every single* kid (8 of them) has an iPod, and none of them has an iPhone. My partner also prefers his 160gb iPod to his low capacity iPhone, and actually carries both with him at all times.

To me, that isn't "dead" . . . but I do wish they'd put out an audiophile edition iPhone with all the bells and whistles :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi Chris,

I think this is a very well-reasoned and well-written piece.

So many good points, particularly with regard to bandwidth. The service providers just don't have it (yet?) and high res uses a lot of it.

Of course, the existing download services, as well as at least one still to come, seek to get around this by subjecting the files to so-called "lossless" compression and a lot of folks find the results to their liking. I'd prefer to see sufficient bandwidth for raw PCM (like.aif and .wav) but it would seem that is still a ways off in the future.

It is also true that the potential audience covers the whole range from not caring about fidelity (most probably have not even been exposed to the idea, much less the experience), to "high res is too much and offers no benefit" or even sillier, "sounds worse", to "high res (24/192) is not enough".

All in all, nicely written. Thank you.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

I suppose. Although if it was high res capable? Which would you want if they were equal in sound quality?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Seeing as the iPod is 160GB as opposed to 128GB for the PONO.

David

+1

Chris... Can you implement a "like this post" / "agree with this post" simple clock system to avoid annoying "+1" posts like I've just made?

I suppose. Although if it was high res capable? Which would you want if they were equal in sound quality?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13261[/ATTACH]

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13261[/ATTACH]

I'd go for the PonoPlayer because it was designed by Charlie Hanson of Ayre Acoustics.

But, your question is about vapor ware that doesn't exist. If if if...

I see what you're alluding to, but for Apple the iPod is dead because its other mobile platforms have taken over.

Hi Chris, I think beanbag is suggesting that, in the third sentence of your article, the word "incestuously" should read "incessantly"? He may also be suggesting, as others have, that the same thing that is being critiqued in the opening sentences is going on here. I would disagree with either point.

As for myself, I drank the recent rumor koolaid about hi-res iTunes. Usually I completely ignore Apple rumors and consider energy invested in them to be a waste of my time, but wishful thinking got the better of me. Your article, as you say, is opinion, not rumor. But it does help me return to blissfully ignoring iTunes and to look forward to the official North American launch of Qobuz redbook streaming. Thanks for taking the time to reflect on this here.

Perhaps this is an incorrect comparison, but in terms of visual media it seems that consumers care about picture quality. It helps sell a variety of devices. And it clearly (no pun intended) makes a positive difference. For me audio quality is equally a no-brainer. What am I missing? How well do sound bars sell? For some, a soundbar is a way of downsizing a home theater set-up,and something of an audio comprimise, but for others it is a way to avoid crappy tv speakers. And I know some non-audiophiles that clearly prefer their earbuds to the built-in speakers of any of their mobile devices. So maybe this will be a matter of gradual increments combined with increased affordability and reliability?

Nice write up Chris and good points.. I also feel Apple will not go down this rabbit hole into hi-rez, my reasoning is Apple is currently playing catchup to Samsung and is currently losing market share to Samsung in the cell phone market. Samsung widens lead in worldwide smartphone marketshare, smaller OEMs rising

So Apple's big next push to keep up with Samsung is the iWatch which should be out in October to compete with the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch. Offering some kind of hi-rez audio to those iphone users that seem to enjoy their ear buds and mobile device with the current day iTunes if feel is not where Apple has to go if it wants to recover lost marketshare while it makes some attempt to keep up with Samsung.

The Truth Is Out There

I see what you're alluding to, but for Apple the iPod is dead because its other mobile platforms have taken over.

From 1st quarter figures 2014.

"Sales of the iPod are down 52 percent on the previous year, as people are choosing to buy the iPhone and iPad instead of the iPod."

image.jpg

"Apple still generated close to a billion dollars with sales of the iPod totaling $973 million, they sold 6 million iPods in the last financial quarter.

Apple hasn’t released a new iPod for a while, apart from the iPod Touch, although we could possibly see a new one this year, as it still generates decent revue for the company on an annual basis."

That is 6 million iPods. Not iPod touches. Just iPods. Not bad for something that is "dead".

David

"Sales of the iPod are down 52 percent on the previous year, as people are choosing to buy the iPhone and iPad instead of the iPod."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13266[/ATTACH]

"Apple still generated close to a billion dollars with sales of the iPod totaling $973 million, they sold 6 million iPods in the last financial quarter.

Apple hasn’t released a new iPod for a while, apart from the iPod Touch, although we could possibly see a new one this year, as it still generates decent revue for the company on an annual basis."

That is 6 million iPods. Not iPod touches. Just iPods. Not bad for something that is "dead".

That's for sure, I bet a lot of the "DAC"/ speaker/amp manufacturers would love to have a dead business product like the iPod.

The Truth Is Out There

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13266[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that info. Frankly I'm surprised at the volume of iPod classics sold. It would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown of those sales.

Thanks for that info. Frankly I'm surprised at the volume of iPod classics sold. It would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown of those sales.

That figure includes the Nano and Shuffle. Be interesting to see breakdown of the iPod numbers though. This is basically their MP3 player lineup although with 160GB storage the Classic could easily hold quite a bit of higher resolution music also.

I'd love to see a hybrid device using the Classic and Touch with that kind of storage capacity. Maybe the size of a Phablet? Make it both a streamer and player with decent storage.

David