IGNORED

Newbie question

Hi everyone. This is my first post...just registered today. I have a number of SACDs and plan to purchase more. My old Philips SACD player has died after a very long and happy life. I am an experienced PC/Windows/Linux pro and hobbyist PC builder. I would like to be able to send DSD content to an appropriate DAC. I know about several programs that can handle downloaded DSD files from a hard drive, but is there any software and user installable optical drive that can read and transport the DSD files directly from a SACD disc? (I have read about ripping SACDs with an older PS3 but that's not worth the multiple hassles to me...I'd rather just buy an OPPO for transport duties.)

The short answer is no. That's why everyone goes the PS3 route.

You can buy very expensive pro hardware (costs thousands).

There aren't other methods. SONY did a good job protecting those SACDs.

Hi everyone. This is my first post...just registered today. I have a number of SACDs and plan to purchase more. My old Philips SACD player has died after a very long and happy life. I am an experienced PC/Windows/Linux pro and hobbyist PC builder. I would like to be able to send DSD content to an appropriate DAC. I know about several programs that can handle downloaded DSD files from a hard drive, but is there any software and user installable optical drive that can read and transport the DSD files directly from a SACD disc? (I have read about ripping SACDs with an older PS3 but that's not worth the multiple hassles to me...I'd rather just buy an OPPO for transport duties.)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi everyone. This is my first post...just registered today. I have a number of SACDs and plan to purchase more.

Welcome to CA! Before buying any more SACDs, I would check whether or not the disc is available in DSD format from sites like:

Super HiRez | Acoustic Sounds

This would give you the same quality as the SACD without the restrictions.

BTW, the following site is a good place to see what's available where in the high rez world:

Find HD music | Search for High Definition Music Downloads | High Resolution Audio

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Thanks for the confirmation. Since Sony is now backing DSD downloads, you'd think they would reduce the playback license fees so they could become available on PC based DVD/CD/BR players...but then they don't sell them under their own brand name anymore. Too bad. As I understand it, the current PS3s or older ones with a firmware upgrade cannot rip SACDs. I'm not a gamer and if I go with an Oppo, I can play BR discs. In addition to professional involvement, I've built more than a dozen PCs for family, friends and myself over the years, and after reading descriptions of highly overpriced dedicated music computers, I had some ideas I wanted to try as a front end for one of the highly regarded <$2000 DACS that are now available. In addition, I have a problem with DSD down loads: they seem to be priced higher than the SACD version of the same music and after years in network management/computer support, I really expect a least a small discount when downloading a program instead of buying the physical media. Thanks again. This is a great web site.

As I understand it, the current PS3s or older ones with a firmware upgrade cannot rip SACDs.

That's not quite correct. Old PS3s can be dialed back, but only via a hardware modification by someone who knows what he is doing. Anyone who claims that they can do it with software is someone to avoid. Only four models of the old PS3s can read SACDs, somethng that none of the newer models is capable of. Ted_b's excellent SACD Ripping Guide is something you will want to read. I don't have the link to his latest revision, but if you PM him, I'm sure that he will assist you.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron