IGNORED

Oscar Peterson Exclusively For My Friends 24/88 on Qobuz - anybody tried it?

MPS is a cult label in Germany, like ECM. As far as the sound quality goes, it varies a lot. The 70's more fusion stuff has been recorded like pop albums, so don't expect audiophile sound.

The "Most Perfect Sound" CD reissues are generally quite well mastered, although some use too much compression (going down to DR9, with a few rare ones at DR7), and the bass is boosted a bit too much for my taste.

Some albums have been reissues as hi-res downloads recently (most in 24/88), those that I've heard sound very good in terms of mastering

eClassical - MPS Records (24bit and a few 16bit releases)

(Findhdmusic lists those as 24/44. That's because eclassical doesn't indicate the sampling rate. But it's really 24/88)

My favourites are Dieter Reith "Knock out" and Michael Naura "Call"

Claude

• 1 month later...

There is a new release announced at Amazon Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/Exclusively-My-Friends-Peterson-Oscar/dp/B01018T3VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440574893&sr=8-1&keywords=oscar+peterson+exclusively

This latest release includes "The Lost Tapes I + II" of which the latter hasn't been released before. As for the mastering they say: "The Producer Team of the MPS-Reissues has attended to the uniformity of sound pattern of all underlying sources – with success."

The question is if this mastering is different to that one of the 88,2/24 release and if so which one would be more desirable?

Exclusively for My Friends: Amazon.de: Musik

This latest release includes "The Lost Tapes I + II" of which the latter hasn't been released before. As for the mastering they say: "The Producer Team of the MPS-Reissues has attended to the uniformity of sound pattern of all underlying sources – with success."

The question is if this mastering is different to that one of the 88,2/24 release and if so which one would be more desirable?

The cover art is very similar to the one used for the high-res (88.2/24) that I purchased from Qobuz one year ago, which would suggest the same source. Surprisingly, Qobuz does not sell this album anymore.

http://www.amazon.de/Exclusively-My-Friends-Peterson-Oscar/dp/B01018T3VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440574893&sr=8-1&keywords=oscar+peterson+exclusively

I don't see a track listing on the Amazon entry.

In any case between €16 for the well sounding Highres remaster and €77 for a redbook version of unclear provenance potentially including a handful more tracks I know what I'd buy.

I asked Highresaudio if they knew about the different releases:

1) 4-CD-Box 1994

2) 6-CD-Box 2006

3) Digitaler Download (88,2 kHz/24bit) 2014

4) 8-CD-Box, to be released on 4. September 2015

They told me they don't know about 1) and 2), but 3) and 4) have the same analogue (!) mastering by Dirk Sommer & Christoph Stickel which was used for the release of the "AAA" vinyls. The digital transfer was then done at 88,2/24 (which is the version to be bought at highresaudio.com) and got down sampled for the upcoming CD release. So 3) is the digital master for 4) and both are actually "AAD".

1) 4-CD-Box 1994

2) 6-CD-Box 2006

They told me they don't know about 1) and 2), but 3) and 4) have the same analogue (!) mastering by Dirk Sommer & Christoph Stickel which was used for the release of the "AAA" vinyls. The digital transfer was then done at 88,2/24 (which is the version to be bought at highresaudio.com) and got down sampled for the upcoming CD release. So 3) is the digital master for 4) and both are actually "AAD".

Thanks for sharing. Nothing wrong with a good analog mastering, especially when the source is analog. The end result is quite nice in any case.

So in a nutshell, you'll indeed have the same master either for €16 or €77, with the latter being in lower resolution, but having two more CDs. I suppose the choice shouldn't be too hard.

1) 4-CD-Box 1994

2) 6-CD-Box 2006

Many thanks for the information, very good to know.