IGNORED

Greetings, an Anecdote, and Several Questions

1) I don't know the PSB speakers so can't really comment on them directly. However in your small listening room I would look for speakers that can be placed close to the back wall to give you maximum distance between you and the speakers - best thing is to demo and talk to your dealer(s) for advise. You may even consider on wall speakers, either by themselves or paired with a subwoofer.

2) Unless you have any interest in multi-channel setup, you'd probably do best to stay away from AV receivers and amplifiers. Your DVD player (and satellite/cable box if you have them) can be connected directly to your television via HDMI and then run either an analogue or digital cable to your amplifier / DAC. All DVD players I've come across can be set to decode DTS and DD into PCM (understandable by all DACs). Initially you can just connect analogue cables into your amplifier, but later when you get a DAC you can use digital connection into the DAC. If you can wait a while - the new M2 might also suit your needs - a fully digital amplifier with inputs straight from DVD player, etc. It's low physical heat output may suit you if your place is smallish.

As an alternative, you could look at a DAC like the Benchmark DAC-1 with input volume - the new DAC-1 HDR gives you an analogue input and remote control as well - and connect that into a good power amp.

3) Think I've answered in (2) ... connect via analogue until you get your DAC.

Hope I've helped

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

backrocks ... and yes he does ... it seams from your post that the dealers in your area are very much one manufacturer shops - NAD & PSB; Marantz and Mordent Short; etc. Do you have any dealers who sell a wider range of products who can mix and match a little more? If you have access to the brands, personally I'd go and see if I could try Rotel with B&W especially if you're having to go the "one brand" route because of how dealers are structured.

s for Marantz ... I was reading yesterday that Mordent Short are bringing out a small stand mount version of their "Performance" speaker and this, coupled with the PM8003 amp should be a good combination and, I think, in your price range.

The LCD / Plasma debate rumbles on. My experience has been that in the best conditions (i.e. semi-dark room), Plasma is the best screen technology (especially at 40" or bigger) but that LCD is often a better compromise in less than optimum conditions.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.