IGNORED

New to Amarra - Why do some tracks not play through it?

Newb here. Just got Amarra and downloaded my first hi-rez album, the HD Tracks sampler. Most tracks play via Amarra (blue light indicator), but some of them will not budge off the iTunes (yellow light) indicator. Same album, in ALAC. Why is that?

Hello Jersey_D,

Welcome to CA.

New to Amarra. And, new to CA. Does the HDtracks sampler contain tracks with different SRs, I.e., 48/24, 88.2, 96/24, 176.4 and 192/24? Do you employ a Dac? If you do, what are the specifications of your Dac's range of SR?

My guess is that you are playing tracks in an SR that your Dac does not process. Since Amarra (what build, which edition?) does not down-sample, Amarra reverts to iTunes to play that particular SR, hence yellow for iTunes. For example, I am guessing, if your equipment is limited to playing 96/24 or below, and you are playing a 192/24 or 176.4/24 track, Amarra switches to iTunes mode and plays the track. Sometimes Amarra does not switch back to Amarra mode and remains in iTunes mode and you must do by clicking on the Amarra icon in the Amarra window. Sometimes Amarra does switch back automatically.

If I guessed wrong, there is clearly not enough information supplied by you to stop guessing and respond to the information that might eliminate guessing. This stated in support of you, not being critical.

Word of advice, while less is more in some cases, asking questions and supplying very little details about system, software player edition, build etc. is not useful to the membership who respond intending to help you.

Best,

Richard

Yes, new to both Amarra and CA. Sorry I did not provide more details. Your rationale makes sense though. Have been using my old Devilsound DAC (until a Schiit Bifrost arrives in a few days). The cuts on that sampler are at varying bitrates.

Yes, new to both Amarra and CA. Sorry I did not provide more details. Your rationale makes sense though. Have been using my old Devilsound DAC (until a Schiit Bifrost arrives in a few days). The cuts on that sampler are at varying bitrates.

That's good news. Then the maximum SR your new Schiit Bifrost is capable of rendering will be supported by Amarra. And Amarra will not default to iTunes unless your new Dac can not render one of the variable bitrates.

Good fortune with your new Dac.

Enjoy the music,

Richard