IGNORED

Best settings for Audirvana Volume Control - DAC direct to AMP

hifial

I would like to use the A+ Volume Control with my DAC (which has no Volume Control) direct to my Amps.

I am looking for the best settings using A+ VC with my Meitner MA-1 DAC.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

What color is the volume marker on A+ when it's running? This will tell you the native volume mode of your DAC, and then figuring the best A+ volume setting will be much easier. If it's red, this means that you can avoid any dithering, etc., and that the DAC chip will be directly controlled by A+ using the extra 8bits (32 bit process stream, 24 bit file).

What color is the volume marker on A+ when it's running? This will tell you the native volume mode of your DAC, and then figuring the best A+ volume setting will be much easier. If it's red, this means that you can avoid any dithering, etc., and that the DAC chip will be directly controlled by A+ using the extra 8bits (32 bit process stream, 24 bit file).

The marker color is green. My DAC has no volume control.

But since I started this thread I have a new problem.

When I play PCM files (24/96) I have control of the loudness of the volume. But when I tried a DSD file it plays at the highest loudness and I have no control of the volume.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had to work, and didn't have the A+ guide available. Green means that your DAC doesn't have digital volume control built in, and that you have dithered volume control set in the user preferences. This is potentially a lossy situation. You have options that you can set in the "audio volume" pane of the Audirvana preferences. Rather than repeating what is explained in the user guide, (see pages 18 and 19), there is a petty clear explanation of the options.

cant help with the DSD volume issue--what settings do you have the"native DSD capability" and "DSD to PCM algorithm" on? Possibly that may provide a clue to someone familiar with A+ and the e20.