IGNORED

Chord Hugo Re-Examined

I see, you're part of the Guild...

I don't know how it started but Chord must be VERY happy with the die-hard fans community that was built around the Hugo.

I remember feeling quite lonely with the QuteHD on head-fi. It didn't get much feedback back then.

Now, when one questions some abilities (or just the price position) of the almighty Hugo, 10 fans will get pissed/offended and start talking nonsense / imply that something else is wrong or whatever.

Purrin speaks his mine - with arguments - and is not a "crowd-pleaser" like so many people in the big forums these days...

And no, I won't re-evaluate my setup to match the Hugo sound. That would mean moving to the unbearably uncomfortable Audeze -> not going to happen.

Ok I get it. You prefer something other than the HUGO. I actually do too. However I would never say it "doesn't rate". I think it rates pretty highly in my obviously humble opinion.

What are you listening to and what headphones do you have? Not looking to argue but am curious as to what you have. I have the HUGO in a second system and use it with cans as well as my second home system. The headphone thing is relatively new for me hence why I ask. I have tried several different headphones with it and can definitely understand why the HUGO as a dedicated headamp/DAC may not appeal to some.

Well, my Hugo is long gone. So, for that matter, is the QBD76 which replaced it. I still have the QuteHD which I like better than the Hugo. The QBD76 was not all that much better than the QuteHD and I couldn't really justify keeping it. I now have an Auralic Vega which I like better than all of them. The Hugo is a fine product, and does some things really well. It is just not quite the game-changer many - including me - initially thought it was. As a portable player/USB Dac I prefer the Calyx M, and my home rig now uses the Vega - both using Sabre chips, for whatever that's worth.

Well, my Hugo is long gone. So, for that matter, is the QBD76 which replaced it. I still have the QuteHD which I like better than the Hugo. The QBD76 was not all that much better than the QuteHD and I couldn't really justify keeping it. I now have an Auralic Vega which I like better than all of them. The Hugo is a fine product, and does some things really well. It is just not quite the game-changer many - including me - initially thought it was. As a portable player/USB Dac I prefer the Calyx M, and my home rig now uses the Vega - both using Sabre chips, for whatever that's worth.

That's a most interesting post and very helpful. I have the QuteHD with Teddy Pardo and love it. I was hoping that there might be an upgrade path beyond the Ex to something Hugo ish, but now I think I may have what I want already.

I haven't heard the Hugo, but I'm no spring chicken; my hearing isn't going to get any better and neither is my bank balance.

It's hard not to get swept away with all the amazing reviews it's got, so hearing a moderate, informed, contrary view is great...and most refreshing :)

Love it or hate it, I defy anyone to give me an example of another engineer who has given away as much free, in-depth technical info as Rob Watts has given in the Hugo thread on HF. Unlike some whose names I wont mention (hey, I like reading Charlie's thoughts !), Rob hasnt resorted to bagging his competition in anything other than the broadest technical sense - never by naming a competitor and dismantling their design choices. The man has clearly been around this hobby long enough to know that you cant please all of the people all of the time - some dont quite seem to grasp that.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I love this "hobby". I really didn't like the Vega and replaced it with the HUGO which in my system was much more enjoyable TO ME and jto everyone else .

I see a pattern here. There are those who love extremely detailed and IMO not very natural sounding equipment. They judge "detail" and "resolution" with quality. Whether it be speakers or whatever. I have my own opinion on this and rather not rain on others parade. As long as you like what you have but I was very happy to say goodbye to the Vega as it was not my preference.

People unfortunately mistske their likes and preferences with fact as one's opinion about their choice is nothing more than what they prefer.

@rossb and Priaptor,

Since the two of you have lived/listened with the Hugo for a bit, might I ask what genre of music you mostly listen to?

Cheers.

Everything but metallic and "heavy rock". To me the heaviest rock I listen to are The Who, Allman Brothers and the like. Everything else is fine with me.

My reference DAC is my MSB Diamond Plus. I have owned PS Audio (their first model), ARC DAC 8, Meitner DAC2x, Vega, MSB Analog (had it for a few months on audition) and a host of others in my system. The HUGO in terms of my preference is as close to what I like as anything save the Diamond Plus.

@Priaptor,

Occasionally re-visit Led Zep or Green Day but that's about as hard a rock as I do. CD collection is fairly eclectic as well,

Do you still listen to CDs?

If yes, does the Hugo enhance the experience when connected to your transport?

Did not know about MSB until your post. Visited site. Saw Diamond. Read specs. Price is well beyond my reach.

@Priaptor,

Occasionally re-visit Led Zep or Green Day but that's about as hard a rock as I do. CD collection is fairly eclectic as well,

Do you still listen to CDs?

If yes, does the Hugo enhance the experience when connected to your transport?

Did not know about MSB until your post. Visited site. Saw Diamond. Read specs. Price is well beyond my reach.

I no longer listen to CDs. The HUGO is about as close to the MSB Analog as I have heard. The Analog is one of my favorite DACS and why I think the HUGO is such a bargain by comparison. I really like the Analog and was pretty amazed at how close the HUGO was. Add to that the HUGO can be used portably and for me it was an easy sell. Yes the Diamond Plus is big bucks and it is not like the HUGO a is cheap but a bargain by comparison.

Love it or hate it, I defy anyone to give me an example of another engineer who has given away as much free, in-depth technical info as Rob Watts has given in the Hugo thread on HF. Unlike some whose names I wont mention (hey, I like reading Charlie's thoughts !), Rob hasnt resorted to bagging his competition in anything other than the broadest technical sense - never by naming a competitor and dismantling their design choices. The man has clearly been around this hobby long enough to know that you cant please all of the people all of the time - some dont quite seem to grasp that.

Agreed. Even though the Hugo did not work out for me, this does not mean that I don't have the greatest respect for Rob Watts. I think everyone with even a remote interest in digital audio has found his Head-fi posts fascinating.

I love this "hobby". I really didn't like the Vega and replaced it with the HUGO which in my system was much more enjoyable TO ME and jto everyone else .

I see a pattern here. There are those who love extremely detailed and IMO not very natural sounding equipment. They judge "detail" and "resolution" with quality. Whether it be speakers or whatever. I have my own opinion on this and rather not rain on others parade. As long as you like what you have but I was very happy to say goodbye to the Vega as it was not my preference.

You don't see any pattern. You are trying to find a pattern to rationalise your own preferences. You have no idea what other equipment I have or what my preferences are. In fact, I loathe equipment which is "extremely detailed" and "not very natural sounding". But we all have a different take on what is "natural sounding". The designer of my Exposure amplifiers, John Farlowe, is reputed to have said, "I want to know why the musicians are onstage, not where" - and I agree.

People unfortunately mistske their likes and preferences with fact as one's opinion about their choice is nothing more than what they prefer.

Why does this not apply to you? And where have I said that my preferences are objective "fact"? On the contrary, I clearly said I "like" some things better than others. You really don't seem to like it when other people like different things to you.

Since the two of you have lived/listened with the Hugo for a bit, might I ask what genre of music you mostly listen to?

Most of my listening is classical and jazz. Some rock, but usually only after a bottle of wine.

What is it about the Hugo that causes such oppisete opinions. watts is a nice guy who thinks dsd stinks and may be the cause of the Hugo playing sub par dsd. Ps audio has ted smith a really nice guy like watts. Having both for a while to listen too . I feel the DS bested the Hugo in every way from noise floor to micro detail and low end extension including note thickness. But still neither did dsd well like others I have heard at lenth. I honestly think dsd is something that must be heard done well to understand why the argument that pcm is better can be understood . A simple fact that a 500 ifi dsd micro does better than both of them in dsd is amazing . Whatever it is neither do,it well. Another odd fact to me is the tunning of the hugo its tuned to give air around instrumints and doing so makes them pitched wrong. Having had both the msb and the B7 at lenth makes me feel that the DS and hugo are both way below the threshold of what i would put in my reference system . But again each of us has our own choice of what we like .

But sometimes an argument gets passed that just seems to much of just an opinion. Like this one .

al

What is it about the Hugo that causes such oppisete opinions.

The Hugo does some things really well, and others not so well. If you value the things that it does well, and combine that with its price and form factor, it is an outstanding product. However, if the things it does well are of less value to you, and the things it does not do well are deal-breakers, and you find the form factor irritating rather than useful, then you will like it a lot less.

Agreed. Even though the Hugo did not work out for me, this does not mean that I don't have the greatest respect for Rob Watts. I think everyone with even a remote interest in digital audio has found his Head-fi posts fascinating.

You don't see any pattern. You are trying to find a pattern to rationalise your own preferences. You have no idea what other equipment I have or what my preferences are. In fact, I loathe equipment which is "extremely detailed" and "not very natural sounding". But we all have a different take on what is "natural sounding". The designer of my Exposure amplifiers, John Farlowe, is reputed to have said, "I want to know why the musicians are onstage, not where" - and I agree.

Why does this not apply to you? And where have I said that my preferences are objective "fact"? On the contrary, I clearly said I "like" some things better than others. You really don't seem to like it when other people like different things to you.

Most of my listening is classical and jazz. Some rock, but usually only after a bottle of wine.

It DOES APPLY to me. I just don't go around assuming my likes and dislikes are gospel. Ultimately this almost totally subjective aspect of audiophilia has spawned many so called experts. Your amp builder is looking to recreate that live experience. Another thing I don't understand. What does that mean? Orchestra, mezzanine on stage amped non amped. What if the recording sounds nothing like the "live event".

When Hiliary Hahn comes to my home and says "aha that is exactly what my violin sounds like when I perform" I will take that to the bank. When Barry Diamant hears a system and says "that is just how I mixed it and wanted it to sound and it recreates the master" I will take that to the bank.

With few exceptions it is all preference.

The Hugo does some things really well, and others not so well. If you value the things that it does well, and combine that with its price and form factor, it is an outstanding product. However, if the things it does well are of less value to you, and the things it does not do well are deal-breakers, and you find the form factor irritating rather than useful, then you will like it a lot less.

What doesn't it do well? I would love to hear your "opinion". Are you talking as a headamp, a system DAC or in terms of "musicality".

Your statement has nothing supporting it so maybe you can clarify.

What doesn't it do well? I would love to hear your "opinion". Are you talking as a headamp, a system DAC or in terms of "musicality".

Your statement has nothing supporting it so maybe you can clarify.

It sucks at DSD big time..So did the DStream, though people say it has improved with firmware.

I will pick up a source tomorrow that has been getting good reviews for its DSD capabilities, but I'm skeptical despite the manufacturer's acknowledged expertise with SACD. When I look back at posts from Rob Watts and Charlie Hansen - not to mention the openly hostile attitude from Schiit - it's clear that DSD presents certain challenges to engineers that go beyond the politics. These are often guys who've been burnt by Sony before, and its interesting that its the Sony hi-res players that seem to garner the most praise for their DSD upsampling capabilities - I've had good results with my PHA-2 upsampling to DSD128 via JRMC but I'm still keen to see what 2500 USD buys me in terms of an improved analog stage and beefier power supply.

Is it possible that Sony and Philips know a thing or two about the technology behind DSD that mightn't be readily apparent from any White Paper or DAC data sheet ? Pure speculation - as always, just my two Satangs worth - but some of you have heard a whole lot more DSD-capable gear than I have so I'll hand it back to the board for further discussion.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I will pick up a source tomorrow that has been getting good reviews for its DSD capabilities, but I'm skeptical despite the manufacturer's acknowledged expertise with SACD. When I look back at posts from Rob Watts and Charlie Hansen - not to mention the openly hostile attitude from Schiit - it's clear that DSD presents certain challenges to engineers that go beyond the politics. These are often guys who've been burnt by Sony before, and its interesting that its the Sony hi-res players that seem to garner the most praise for their DSD upsampling capabilities - I've had good results with my PHA-2 upsampling to DSD128 via JRMC but I'm still keen to see what 2500 USD buys me in terms of an improved analog stage and beefier power supply.

Is it possible that Sony and Philips know a thing or two about the technology behind DSD that mightn't be readily apparent from any White Paper or DAC data sheet ? Pure speculation - as always, just my two Satangs worth - but some of you have heard a whole lot more DSD-capable gear than I have so I'll hand it back to the board for further discussion.

Hansen's main objection is about strategy. He says we don't need m8re formats, we shoul perfect the dominant one, pcm, with better filter tech borrowed from dsd . Dsd is actually easier to implement as a playback deviceu

@rossb, your comment re: JF is interesting. listening to exposure electronics as well. quite happy with the DAC for CD playback on existing system - not the last word in resolution but does immerse you in the rhythm, rhyme, raison d'être of a piece of music rather easily. my Hugo-lust is driven by idea of using mac as music source, esp. for HD audio, which is, for failure of a better word, "revealing", even through a pair of Shure 840s. Tried streaming using apple TV connected via optical to current DAC but it is coming across as harsh. concept of storing entire music collection a SSD will make search for the one-song-you-want-to-hear-now more elegant. and, if the Hugo can make the CD player sound better, well... that would be 3 strikes in a row.

@Priaptor, your input and enthusiasm is much appreciated. in some ways, could be said that i am guilty of falling in love with someone not met yet... and its good to know what's attractive about the Hugo from rossb and your goodself - people who have put the money down and listened to the Hugo at home. 3rd party endorsements/critique add another dimension to (a) manufacturer quotes, (b) expert recommendations and © retailer pitches. some good news came through today: local headphone dealer expecting to receive a Hugo this week. will be given the opportunity to A/B test it with my macbook pro and phones in the shop, and even compare it to the dacmini. going in, knowing this is likely cost me. but, maybe, the ritual of going through the pre-purchase ritual will justify the expense a wee bit more.

@ALRAINBOW, "why is it controversial?" maybe because (too) many have said (too) many good things about it. that draws skepticism. and, to your ears, it is, perhaps, over-hyped? will find out for myself if it is really that good... for the asking price. soon.

@Ned Kelly/wisnon, still in the dark about DSD. will read up more, bearing in mind your comments re: Hugo.

everyone: posted here as a newbie due to rossb's header/findings. appreciate the sharing of viewpoints, the knowledge, the passion. will post a newbie's impressions of the Hugo after listening, if relevant.

cheers.

Interesting thread. I am planning to upgrade my Rega DAC in the near future and am strongly considering the Hugo and the PS Audio PWDAC II. The looks and form function of the Hugo turn me off (looks hard to turn on and off, small buttons, micro-usb, etc.

). I don't use headphones so that is no benefit. However, the sound quality obviously gets great reviews and sound is what I care about most.

I would be curious if anyone has used both the PerfectWave DACII and the Hugo and can comment on differences they heard.

Interesting thread. I am planning to upgrade my Rega DAC in the near future and am strongly considering the Hugo and the PS Audio PWDAC II. The looks and form function of the Hugo turn me off (looks hard to turn on and off, small buttons, micro-usb, etc.

). I don't use headphones so that is no benefit. However, the sound quality obviously gets great reviews and sound is what I care about most.

I would be curious if anyone has used both the PerfectWave DACII and the Hugo and can comment on differences they heard.

Ellsworth,

I too never bought it with the intention of not using headphones. I have a second a system in my second home, wasn't crazy with the pick I had made, namely the Vega and was initially going to go with my "first choice" which was the MSB Analog but didn't want to spend the $$ for a second system. I like what I read about the HUGO, knew based on the enthusiasm it was receiving if I didn't like it I could sell it in seconds.

I really like that it is being directly powered by it's batteries. I find it has a sound signature very close to the Analog.

Anyway back to the headphones. I bought the IE800 Sennheiser for travel, which the HUGO works with an iPhone effortlessly and heard how good this thing could sound as a headamp that I bought a pair of modified Fostex TH900 to listen to in my primary home when working in my office. I love the versatility and of course the sound.

Thanks for the response. This is such an interesting product. to compete with the MSB Analog is quite a compliment.

I happen to really like MSB products. I haven't heard "everything" but what I have the Diamond Plus is my cup of tea. I had the Analog for a very prolonged audition as I was considering it for my second system at the time. My primary system at the time had the Meitner DAC2x. Well I was so taken by the Analog I had the dealer who just became an MSB dealer at the time drop off his Diamond Plus demo. At least in my system that for me is my standard and I have had many others for comparison.

So I figured I would splurge for the Plus and get something cheaper for the second home. As I said I had the Vega and it wasn't for me. I try not to use descriptors of why as I don't want to flame others with differing opinions. When I got the HUGO I was more than surprised. I could easily live with it instead of an Analog. There is one caveat. I never listened to the Analog with their beefier power supply.