IGNORED

Chord Hugo Re-Examined

Very nice report. Thanks for posting it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Great update. Thanks. Is the QBD76 the HD version? And I assume you are aware that some of your QBD investment will be saved since Chord always allows upgrades to its newest version (which will be significant board changes, etc).

I thought I should update this thread, now that I have traded my Hugo for the QBD76. (Cross-posted from stereo.net..au.)

First, the QBD76 is without doubt the best dac I have ever heard. In saying this, I have not heard any of the super-expensive dacs, such as the MSB, DCS, Playback Designs, or even Weiss or Berkeley dacs, so cannot compare with those dacs. However, I can say that the QBD76 comprehensively demolishes the Bel Canto DAC 3.5 and the Resonessence Invicta Mirus.

The sound from the QBD76 is tonally rich and colourful, dynamic, detailed while remaining full-bodied, as well as being dramatic and musical. Bass seems to extend an octave deeper than I have heard with any previous dac. Images are large, fleshed out and realistic. This dac presents music with more presence and realism than I have heard with any digital component, and better than most turntables. Compare this with the Invicta Mirus, which sounded artificial, digital and totally non-musical by comparison. The Bel Canto Dac 3.5 was previously the best dac I had owned, and did have a rich, enveloping sound. But the Chord dac just resolves more tonal colour and complexities, while sounding more "real" and being generally more musical. And I was also unprepared for just how physically stunning this dac is. I really have nothing to criticise.

The comparison with the QuteHD and Hugo is interesting. The QBD76 sounds more like the QuteHD than it does the Hugo. There were suggestions when the QuteHD came out that it was 90% of the performance of the QBD76 for 20% of the cost. There is clearly a family resemblance, but it is like comparing a Corolla to a Lexus, even though they may come from the same factory. Even with a linear PSU the QuteHD is maybe 70% of the performance of the QBD76. The QuteHD sounds sensational, particularly at its price (I could easily have lived with it), but the additional fullness, depth and richness that the QBD76 brings is very substantial.

The Hugo is said to contain newer technology, and Chord have been saying that the Hugo is now their best dac, surpassing the QBD76. This was why I was hesitating in buying one. My original plan was to wait for the replacement for the QBD76, with the latest technology. But my guess is that that is at least a year away, and I did not have the patience to wait that long. Particularly when the few people who have done the comparison all seem to suggest that the QBD76 remains the better dac. And I agree with them, the QBD76 is no doubt better than the Hugo.

I should add here that - as noted in my initial post- I was becoming a little disillusioned with the Hugo. Whereas the QuteHD initially underwhelmed me, and I intended to sell it within a few weeks of buying it, the Hugo did the opposite. The QuteHD got progressively better, and slowly persuaded me how good it was. The Hugo started off sounding brilliant, but slowly some doubts crept in to the point where I was happy to trade it in on the QBD76. Let me be clear: the Hugo remains an outstanding dac, and a landmark product. It is incredibly resolving, particularly of high frequencies and transients, and has a real sense of presence. However, I started to find the sound a little insubstantial. It did not have the fullness or texture I was looking for. Tonally, it was a little colourless. It lacked the dynamics of other dacs. I do not want to exaggerate these "shortcomings" - they were very slight and took months to become apparent (to me, at least). I started to prefer the QuteHD for its bigger, richer, more dynamic sound, even though it clearly was not as resolving as the Hugo. The same is true again of the QBD76. It is like a QuteHD on steroids. It paints musical pictures in big, bold, colourful strokes. The Hugo just cannot match this. So to those who say that the Hugo is now Chord's best dac, I can only disagree. But then again I can only imagine how good Chord's replacement for the QBD76 will be.

Rossb, thank you for your comparisons. Nice to compare your thoughts to Chris thoughts http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/464-chord-electronics-qbd76hd-qbd76hdsd-dac-review/

Oh ps: the Lexus is built only in Kyushu and Tahara, Japan, The Corolla has been built in Brazil since 1958

The Truth Is Out There

Great update. Thanks. Is the QBD76 the HD version? And I assume you are aware that some of your QBD investment will be saved since Chord always allows upgrades to its newest version (which will be significant board changes, etc).

Ted, unless you know something specific then this isn't necessarily the case ... then the QBD76 was introduced there was no upgrade path from the DAC64 for example. Though the QBD76 has been upgraded to the QBD76HD (hardware change for the USB interface) and then to the QBD76HDSD (firmware upgrade from QBD76HD); and the QuteHD is upgradable to the QuteEX.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ted, unless you know something specific then this isn't necessarily the case ... then the QBD76 was introduced there was no upgrade path from the DAC64 for example. Though the QBD76 has been upgraded to the QBD76HD (hardware change for the USB interface) and then to the QBD76HDSD (firmware upgrade from QBD76HD); and the QuteHD is upgradable to the QuteEX.

Eloise

I have checked on this upgrade months ago in a email to Chord since I found a non HD version for sale and I was informed by Chord, it involves returning the unit to the factory for around $858.00 to bring the unit up to the HD level. I bought a Lumin instead.

The Truth Is Out There

Eloise, again, I said QBD to QBD, not an upgrade path from DAC64 or any other platform. I would imagine, like going from QBD76 to HD was expensive, so will a new QBD..but Chord has mentioned the new technology will be in a QBD...so I simply assumed the QBD upgrade path is still open (I could be wrong). It might not make math (financial) sense when all is said and done, but it will be a QBD. It's likely a year away.

Yes, I have the HDSD version. I am not too concerned about the upgrade to the new model in a year or so. I assume I can either get a factory upgrade, or just sell/trade my HDSD. But even if I am stuck with the QBD76 for a few years, it is not exactly suffering.

Eloise, again, I said QBD to QBD, not an upgrade path from DAC64 or any other platform. I would imagine, like going from QBD76 to HD was expensive, so will a new QBD..but Chord has mentioned the new technology will be in a QBD...so I simply assumed the QBD upgrade path is still open (I could be wrong). It might not make math (financial) sense when all is said and done, but it will be a QBD. It's likely a year away.

Sorry Ted (and I may be arguing for the sake of it) but I am simply making the point that in Chord's range the QBD76 replaced the DAC64 (the DAC in Chord's Choral range) and for this there was NOT an official upgrade path. Having said that even now the DAC64 commands a good price on the second hand market so selling a QBD76 when a new Choral DAC is launched is quite likely to work out okay.

To suggest then that when the QBD76 is replaced there may be an official upgrade is (as far as I am aware) simply speculation on your part. As you are held in regard over your knowledge of such things having published several reviews, I think some people may take your comments as more than speculation.

Eloise

Note: Reading your comments again I am slightly confused what you are suggesting. I think its almost certain (and Rob Watt has stated as much iirc) that at some point there will be a new Choral DAC which utilises aspects of the Hugo and Qute design. What is not certain is that this will be a QBD76 MkII. I believe at the time the QBD76 was unveiled it was referred to as "The New version of the DAC64" so it may follow that the referred to "New version of the QBD76" may not be a QBD76 at all.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rob Watts calls what he is working on (and has said it more than once on public forums like the Hugo headfi thread) the "QBD upgrade". That's what I know. But it is likely moot, in that historically one can sell the non-upgraded and buy the new for a better return than sending it in....we all know that on many/most upgrade programs. I was simply (I thought) commenting that, so far, the QBD76 has been upgradable, and that Rob's comments are not out of line with that. I was mostly informing rossb of his investment, but he informs us he already knows that.

Edit: Eloise, you have way more history than I do with Chord marketing. If they indeed said the Dac64 would be upgraded, then I retract what I said....maybe the new QBD will not be a QBD76 but maybe a QBD1000 or something...and not part of the upgrade path. So nevermind....and as I said, it's likely a financially moot point anyway. The good news is that Chord DACs hold their value pretty well, so sell and buy is not taking a huge bath.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Am running a modest CD-based hi-fi system, just learning about computer audiophile-ism.

Thinking of doing mac book pro >> DAC >> pre + power >> speakers.

Would be great if said DAC also a) improves sound from a CD transport and b) can make mac >> audirvana + >> headphone experiences more fun.

Challenge is, the nearest Hugo stockist, is 300+km from me. And, hereabouts, we do not have a test-it-at-home-before-you-decide consumer culture.

Hence, would really appreciate your opinions on the following:

1) Is the Hugo still the best DAC $2.5K buys you today?

2) Is it good enough to pull the trigger without a listening test?

Cheers.

1) Is the Hugo still the best DAC $2.5K buys you today?

2) Is it good enough to pull the trigger without a listening test?

Cheers.

1. No - that changes on a weekly or at best monthly basis and it changes according to whom you ask

2. No - and no component fits that criteria unless you have 30 solid days in which to return it for a full refund.

If you believe purrin at Head-Fi, the Hugo doesnt even rate - having owned one for the almost 6 months, I disagree, but ultimately it's not about purrin or me - its about you. Your music, your gear, your preferences - and the only way to know if the Hugo is a good fit is to spend time with it.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

No imowukd not buy a DAC at that price without a listen. If you want to try something much cheaper and on par with it. Try the 500 dsd micro from ifi. Being about 1/5 the price it's a better bet to hedge . But spending ones money and not having a path to return a DAC is not a good path. For this reason try the 500 micro . Just my thoughts.

Al

1. No - that changes on a weekly or at best monthly basis and it changes according to whom you ask

2. No - and no component fits that criteria unless you have 30 solid days in which to return it for a full refund.

If you believe purrin at Head-Fi, the Hugo doesnt even rate - having owned one for the almost 6 months, I disagree, but ultimately it's not about purrin or me - its about you. Your music, your gear, your preferences - and the only way to know if the Hugo is a good fit is to spend time with it.

purrin, whoever he is is clueless.

@Ned Kelly & @ALRAINBOW,

Appreciate the sound advice.

Thing is, we don't have a consumer culture here that allows you to order, listen and return a DAC. Or for that matter, most good stuff hi-fi. Best you get is a demo in a fully treated room in a dealership (quite unlike my living space).

In the case of the Hugo, it's being pushed by headphone retailers hereabouts. So, the best demo one can score is listening to one's AIFF files played on macbook to personal headphones.

Local headphone dealer has run out of Hugos... until he does not know when. So, am thinking of mail ordering from another dealer 300+km away. Or, drive over with own stuff (which could be fun... or not because one needs to explain to the other half).

Music: Pop, jazz, alternative rock

Gear: Exposure CD player/DAC/Pre/Power, KEF speakers, REL sub

Prefs: Clarity, accuracy, timbre, nice soundstage.

Well it that light the hugo is fine. DACS sound different with speakers than they do with headphones and the micro is fine for headphones but too warm with speakers. One thing for sure is the hugo is refined in sound. Weather you like it's sound or not. As I have stuff that is better to my liking it gives me a different view of the hugo. But nit a bad view. My one grip is its dsd and pcm. It plays pcm much better than dsd. But this is kinda ok if it's pcm ypu mostly play. And I have come to the conclusion most do not really know what dsd should sound like anyway. So it's fine for what it is. Given your circumstance lends me to day ok. One last thought for you . A laptop is not the best way to play music to a DAC . But if it's a Mac aurdivna plus sounds best to me and j river if pc. What will,your source be ? A CD player ? Over spidif ? If so do optical over coax

Because he disagrees with your findings? Hurt your feelings?

"Doesn't rate"

Obviously clueless

My feelings?

I have no feelings when it comes to audio equipment. I have have opinions as to my preferences and don't make idiotic statements like purrin who I repeat must be clueless.

I am also married to no gear and don't posses the hubris of some (like you) to make idiotic and dogmatic comments.

Maybe Purrin heard much more gears than you did and knows where to put the Hugo on a scale?

I, too, think the Hugo is overpriced and while I enjoyed its clarity and technicality, I didn't adhere much to its sound. Heck I even preferred the QuteHD with LPSU -> much more musical.

The Hugo was lean and didn't pair well with my setup.

@ALRAINBOW,

Am new to higher than CD definition music playback. Do have quite a number of CDs, some of which have been ripped to ALAC via iTunes. Recently "discovered" hdtracks.com. HD AIFF purchases sound rather good.

So, yes. Will be doing PCM to start off.

Thinking of using Hugo as DAC for 2 sources:

CD player via coaxial or optical (whichever sounds better)

MacBook Pro via USB

Already have a DAC for CD playback but the Exposure's USB input is limited to 24/96. Hence, Hugo beckons.

MacBook Pro because it is my daily workhorse. Goes everywhere, brings along music collection. Plug in headgear and play. Sounds better now with Audi+.

How would you describe the Hugo's sound signature? Your opinion, of course. Everybody else welcome to chime in.

Thanks

I, too, think the Hugo is overpriced and while I enjoyed its clarity and technicality, I didn't adhere much to its sound. Heck I even preferred the QuteHD with LPSU -> much more musical.

And you're entitled to that opinion, as is purrin, but when it gets to the point that people start mocking a component based purely on it's casework I think it's time to take a step back. None of the other DACs on his 'not for me' list came in for the same level of ridicule and it annoyed the hell out of me when people who hadnt even heard the Hugo got on the bandwagon. He has ruffled feathers before on HF and I have little doubt that he gets a kick out of doing so - fine, but there's a line between saying 'not for me' and mocking everyone who has opted for a given component.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Inread his views and I have spoken to him. He is a nice guy and passionet about his likes and dislikes like some here me included. However he is articulate in hiw he arrives at his conclusions. I prefureed the DS tonrhe hugo he did not. Was I to argue how could he say that. It's the same for headphones. Some love the audezee line I do not and line the hd800 more it's all about choice anyway. The person who stared this debate a page or two back loves his iPod I think that it sounds better with my iPhone or any cpu I have tried

but if he is happy then enough said.

Al

Maybe Purrin heard much more gears than you did and knows where to put the Hugo on a scale?

Maybe you should re-evaluate your setup.

And you're entitled to that opinion, as is purrin, but when it gets to the point that people start mocking a component based purely on it's casework I think it's time to take a step back. None of the other DACs on his 'not for me' list came in for the same level of ridicule and it annoyed the hell out of me when people who hadnt even heard the Hugo got on the bandwagon. He has ruffled feathers before on HF and I have little doubt that he gets a kick out of doing so - fine, but there's a line between saying 'not for me' and mocking everyone who has opted for a given component.

Ned when people make ludicrous claims about such a good product like the HUGO such as it "doesn't rate" it tells you all you need to know about the person making the comment.

Ned when people make ludicrous claims about such a good product like the HUGO such as it "doesn't rate" it tells you all you need to know about the person making the comment.

I see, you're part of the Guild...

I don't know how it started but Chord must be VERY happy with the die-hard fans community that was built around the Hugo.

I remember feeling quite lonely with the QuteHD on head-fi. It didn't get much feedback back then.

Now, when one questions some abilities (or just the price position) of the almighty Hugo, 10 fans will get pissed/offended and start talking nonsense / imply that something else is wrong or whatever.

Purrin speaks his mine - with arguments - and is not a "crowd-pleaser" like so many people in the big forums these days...

And no, I won't re-evaluate my setup to match the Hugo sound. That would mean moving to the unbearably uncomfortable Audeze -> not going to happen.